Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cavalier for taming shrillness in 52 AVRI?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Pants, Oct 2, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    No surprise really.

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Yea it's a super pickup and you described it very well. Priced nicely too.

3. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    I recommend Cavaliers. Because they make your tone knob (on guitar or on amp) a real thing. You will be impressed with their ability to make it really usable with no tonal compromise and you'll get a bigger tonal color palette in your axe. This means not only that you'd find your sweet spot easier but also it's highly possible that you'll get larger tone range you'd like to use. I love Nashville Lion and agree with Pants on describing its character very well, but you will see this effect even with fatter, so called overwound kind of pickups from Cavaliers.

The same can be said of Cavalier neck pickups. I used to play more on archtop guitars to get better jazz tone than the tele "rolled-off" neck tone, but now have been playing tele-jazz again.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    I put the Fat Lion in my '50s RI Esquire, and couldn't be happier with it. The PERFECT Tele/Esquire bridge pickup, in my view. Twang, singing, purring--everything. Bite instead of ice pick.

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Which Cavalier set are you using for jazz?

6. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    I have used almost all regular models of Lion King & Lioness and some custom wound ones (including a 10.5k Fat LK, a 9k A3 LK, an old 8.8k Lioness and a 5.9k brass-covered LK) for jazz, depending on the matching guitar/amp/string-gauge and the degree of rolling off the tone.

I recently have used an early custom 8.8k Lioness which I got via Classifieds here, a new regular 8k LK, and a new custom 5.9k brass LK more often, with the tone rolled off (50%-0%). On guitar duo performance, love to use the series channel of the 4way switch for lead playing. They sound great through both an AER and an all tube amp.

But you should believe in your ears and preference!!:)

7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Thank you. Very helpful. I'm considering the Fat Lion King for mine. Just debating what to pair it with. Considering the Nocaster, Fat Lion or Huge. I'm pretty sure whatever I choose I'm going to be happy.

FrontPU likes this.

8. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    I love my Fat LK, is awesome. With it on a warm sounding amp, you might not have to rely on the tone knob much to play jazz. ;)

El Tele Lobo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.