Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cavalier 51/52 lion

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Grux, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

This 51/52 is excellent. It just sparkles and is very lively. Thanks again Rob for a great pickup and great speedy service.

Grux and FrontPU like this.

2. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Alnico 5 version of Nocaster Lion (A5/43AWG, custom order) is amazing, too. :cool:

Grux and Amby like this.

3. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

I'll bet it is!!!

FrontPU likes this.

4. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

Jul 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I just ordered a 51/52 That should be here by the end of the week. My current main guitar has a Nashville Lion in it and it's killer! Do we have a Cavalier owners group yet?

Grux and FrontPU like this.

5. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    The 51/52 is fabulous especially when played through a Fender style tube amp while the Nashville Lion is the very best all-around pickup.

randysmojo, Grux and El Tele Lobo like this.

6. randysmojo

Jul 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I'll have the 51/52 installed either tonight or tomorrow for sure. I'm playing through a Mesa Mark IV set up close to a Fender blackface style clean.

7. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Cool, but I'm sure that the 51/52 will please you even with your usual favorite setting on the Mesa Mark IV! :) The 51/52 pickup actually sounded wonderful through any tube amp I have recently tested with like Gibson/Kalamazoo, Valco/Supro/Gretsch, Magnatone, Matchless, Laney, Rivera, etc. Oh yeah, the 51/52 on Plexi was very nice! :cool:
    I'd like to try Mesa MK IV, too. :twisted:
    I said "fabulous especially when played through a Fender style tube amp" just because it was the most impressive combination to my ears, with the Princeton crunch and the Deluxe clean. I knew it’s just an individual opinion, but couldn’t help! :D

8. randysmojo

Jul 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well the Mesa Mark IV is based on a hot rodded Fender, so I was basically saying that is what I'm running it through. Not saying it is different, but rather saying similar to what you said it would sound great through! Haven't got the guitar fully set up yet because I have some special wiring I'm doing that I need to finish and then final setup, bit on a quick rough setup and check, it sounds really dang good! Can't wait to get it finished today and really hear it!

FrontPU likes this.

9. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    I think understood what you meant, but still thought had to make it clearer, what made me write that. Yeah, a MM IV would be able to produce the sound similar to what a Fender Twin (w/ 6L6s) when the master volume pot is opened enough (don't have to be full), but what I meant with "a Fender style tube amp" was smaller ones like Princeton and/or Deluxe like I added afterwards. And yes, the MM IV can be retubed to 6V6s, but, for instance the sound of Marshalls are not really similar to its schematic senior Tweed Bassmans, at least to my ears. :p
    Anyway, I think know what you mean and that the use/combination of your MM IV with the 51/52 would make you smile! :)

10. randysmojo

Jul 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Ya. I'm completely in the 6L6 camp with Fender amps. Tried Deluxe Reverbs and just missed something to me in the low end spank compared to my twins and supers I've had.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 9:15 AM
    FrontPU likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.