Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cavalier 51/52 lion

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Grux, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Ok so I just got this pickup installed in my Esquire partscaster last night. What can I say about it.....its just sweet! Cleans are sweet, midrangy but not nasely, good bass response, and treble that is useable! Very balanced and responsive, it really has some character quite unlike anything I've ever played. Now that being said I have never played alnico3' s until now.

With some dirt it sounds jangly like that old school rock and roll, I don't know to else to describe this thing but i really dig it! If you have any questions I can try to answer them haha, but that's the best description I got.

Wonderful work Rob, bravo man!

FrontPU, BorderRadio, LAGinz and 4 others like this.

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mine should be here today, haven't checked the mail yet.

Hoping for a little Pete Anderson tone.

Grux likes this.

3. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Well it definitely can do the mid range, they cut like a knife but Pete sounds a bit more trebly to me. I guess it depends on what era Pete Anderson or songs.

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Fantastic. We now have another convert to our little cult. I need to buy the remaining tele models I don't have before people really begin to catch on. I only lack two, the Bakersfield and the 51/52. I could use a spare Lioness or two, as well.

El Tele Lobo and Grux like this.

5. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I almost got the 51/52. Then I got a little afraid I might not get every bit of treble I occasionally want, and got the bakersfield instead. I think of a tele as a lap steel with frets, so I went traditional. I'm very happy with it, but I bet I'd still like the 51/52. Your description sounds pretty much how I imagined it.

BorderRadio and Grux like this.

6. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I considered the Bakersfield as well for a while, but I can't stand treble thats too shrill. The 51/52 gives you a useable range of treble without getting to the upper registers where you might need to pull the tone pot back a bit. I was also afraid of the Bakersfield sounding too thin, I'm completely happy with my choice. I may buy a nashville next!

7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    The bakersfield is well named; that's the kind of music it's for. I don't think it's too thin at all, the way I would use the word. But too much mid-range can make a pickup sound thin to me, like some p90s.
    The bakersfield can definitely require you to pull back the tone control a bit, depending on what amp and how it's set. Mine is bright, so I have to work to reign in treble when using just the bridge. But it nails that 50s tele sound; low string growl and chimey highs.
    I specifically want extra treble, because even though it's not as convenient as a pickup I can just let out full blast all the time, I want the tone dimed when playing country and faux lap steel licks with volume swells. Also, tone swells after the pick attack sound cool.
    Those tapped pickups start to make sense, because if I just wanted to blast rock and roll on the bridge, I could just flip a switch. Right now, my rock and roll sound is tone rolled down, or middle position. Or sometimes, just cutting the volume a hair takes enough edge off, and my amp is still overdriving.

8. SPUDCASTER

Don't be afraid of the Bakersfield!:eek: When engaged, roll back the tone just a little if needed(ala Vince Gill, Jim Messina). Depends on the amp and settings too. The Bakersfield takes you right to the Burton/Nichols/Rich land.

I have a Fat/Bakersfield Lion, couldn't be happier. Covers quite a bit of territory.

The 51/52 arrived today and installed. Fired up the AC15 with the Celestion Blue. Cranked it up(no one home, neighbors 1/4-1/2 mile away), played back close to the bridge and plugged straight into the amp.

And it sure had that Pete Anderson bark. Ran everything on the guitar wide open, no icepick.

People talk about Kinmans being quiet, but I don't see how they can be any quieter that the Cavaliers.

This is my eighth pickup from Rob and I haven't been disappointed yet. His quality, service and price is hard to beat.

BorderRadio, El Tele Lobo and Grux like this.

9. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Happy you like it as well spud! I'm not a country player but I like old yokham, Pete's tone is useful for both rock and country.....and blues lol

10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Love my Nashville and Lion King set! You won't be disappointed!

FrontPU and Grux like this.

11. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I put the 51/52 in my Esquire too. Dang does it ever sound good! I can't stop playing it! I went with the nocaster for my tele build but it'll be a while yet before I get to hear that one. I went with the fat lion king neck and figured the nocaster would be a decent match.

FrontPU likes this.

12. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

51/52 Lion - are any of your's light wax dipped?

13. SPUDCASTER

Mine, all my Cavaliers are light potted.

Haven't had any problems with feedback close to the amp. But, it would depend on your volume levels probably.

I'm using an AC15 primarily.

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Really thinking about the 51/52, versus the Nashville, to pair with a Dynasonic neck. I have a Bakersfield in a Tele with a gold foil neck, and an Esquire with a Twin Lion, wired up for a Huge Lion full open, and tapped back to Bakersfield. I’m in Bakersfield-land most of the time. I’m just not that fond of muted highs and too much mids I guess.

Anybody that’s played both a Nashville and a 51/52 have some idea whats different between the two?

15. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I'd like to know this as well, I like the 51/52 and I wonder how different the Nashville is.

BorderRadio and DavidP like this.

16. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

Thanks SPUDCASTER for the reply re- light potting.

17. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    You could pm roknfnrol on here and check out his YouTube demos. He's done some great demos of both of these pickups.

Lefty Addams and BorderRadio like this.

18. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

At this particular moment in time, I have a 51/52 Lion winging its way across the big pond to me.

Lefty Addams likes this.

19. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    You could have came round here if you wanted to try one out first, got mine paired with a lion king in the neck, nice combination and works well with a 4 way switch.

20. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

Glad you like yours Scott, can't wait to try mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.