Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Caught this guy in my son's room last night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jondanger, Aug 13, 2017.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    So, I was not aware that one could contract rabies from a rabid animal without the skin being broken and contact made with our blood.
    Is it a fact that one can sleep through a light brush of a bats wing and catch rabies?
    Or is it more just a fathers desire to do everything humanly possible to protect his child?

Or are we talking about an infant or toddler who cannot answer if they've been bitten, and maybe they have some scratches from falling off a trike or rough play in the sandbox?

2. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    My son is in the process of getting a spectrum diagnosis (7 years old), and doesn't always communicate well about when/how something happened. He has some scratches on his hand that he can't explain, and I'm exercising an abundance of caution.

I have read about cases (rare) where a scratch has resulted in rabies, not trying to be alarmist, just cautious. This is his hand this morning - he noticed this since my first post and I somehow didn't see it when checking him before:

IMG_8443.JPG

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Well that seems very fair to me, hope all goes well.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I've caught 3 in my house in 15 years. 2 were when our kids were very little and we caught the bats at night while they were asleep. Hated to do that. One I was the only person home so I didn't.

telemnemonics likes this.

6. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Nov 8, 2009
    New York
    Great job. I'm a veterinarian, and I have to advise people about rabies all the time. You did exactly what you needed to do.

william tele, tonytrout and Tele1966 like this.

7. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Nov 8, 2009
    New York
    Sometimes you can't tell if there's been a bite. Bats have teeny tiny teeth. There are plenty of reports of people developing rabies without a known bite, but with a history of exposure to bats. Because bats are such a well known reservoir for rabies, you have to err on the side of caution.

william tele, Tele1966 and SolidSteak like this.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    You absolutely did the right thing. Bats are wonderful creatures of course, but you can't take a chance with rabies and a kid.

It introduces some amount of paranoia. "I don't THINK I was bit... there's a very slight chance the bat could have had rabies... maybe I am acting hysterically... it's just a bat..." but OTOH, 100% fatal. Yeah. I don't think there's anything hysterical about that. Then add a child into the situation, and it goes to 11.

We used to get a bat in the house every other year until I sealed up the house a bit better. Just like you said, I love seeing them outside.

9. beagle

beagle Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Bats are protected species here. You have to open a window and hope they choose to leave.

Alamo and awasson like this.

10. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    Bats scare the hell out of me!!! "nuff said.......:eek:

vashondan likes this.

11. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Perhaps it's the late Adam West stopping by to check things out.

12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I guess if we find out if Adam West died of rabies we got this thread FIGURED

Anode100 likes this.

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Jon, you're his dad. When it comes to your kids you don't need the blessing of anyone here...

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    It's been fascinating reading about this stuff.
    Deaths from rabies in the US is down to 1 or 2 per year. Bats make up less than a third of all cases of rabies in wildlife. Over the last ten years, people have contracted rabies from dog bites almost as often as often as from bats.
    Caution is still recommended, though, and catching the bat is the best scenario.

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/index.html

jondanger and Tele1966 like this.

15. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    That's your 7-year-old son's hand?

Straydogger and jondanger like this.

16. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Best possible outcome wished upon you to the Nth...

Next picture with good news better include a tele neck in his hand, dammit. ;)

jondanger likes this.

17. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    Turn your vacuum cleaners on maximum power and catch 'em with the pipe. Then you can release then in a cage without harming them or yourselves.

18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    PLEASE! Remind the good folks to but a nylon stocking...or a net type onion sack OVER THE END OF THE NOZZLE...

Holy cripes...!!! Don't just suck them in your vac...

telemnemonics and Boomhauer like this.

19. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Ha! Yeah he's about average for his age but the Danger family grows long fingers.

Palm readers would have a field day with his Mount of Venus . . .

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

20. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    :eek:

21. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Last I heard, there's about 1 rabies death a year in the US.
    Pretty good odds.
    Until an old buddy's friend was the 1 :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.