Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Caught this guy in my son's room last night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jondanger, Aug 13, 2017.

1. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I came home around 1 AM from hanging out with an old friend / bandmate who was in town last night and went to check on my kids, as I always do. When I went into my 7 year old son's room, I saw this guy flying around in circles. I got my son out of the room right away and grabbed a broom and a Tupperware container, knocked the bat down and scooped him/her up (didn't check).

She/he is in the fridge now waiting to be tested for rabies. This isn't the first time I found a bat in a room with a sleeping child, so I knew the drill already. I called the health department and spoke with the on call epidemiologist, who scheduled testing for tomorrow morning. They'll come pick up the bat, and the test takes about 2 hours to come back.

I got in touch with my buddy who is an animal control officer and he said it's okay to wait 3-4 days for the first shot in the unlikely event that the bat comes back positive. The epidemiologist confirmed this, so I feel okay about waiting a day.

I'm so glad that I came home when I did. Another hour on either side of that and who knows what could've happened. PSA to try and safely capture any bat that you find in a room with a sleeping child or incapacitated adult so it can be tested. Bite/scratch marks can be so tiny that you can barely see them, and if symptoms develop, it's 100% fatal. Post exposure prophylaxis is nearly 100% effective so there's really no reason to take a chance on this one. /endcautionarytale

IMG_8440.JPG

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Rayner, Bob Mc, WetBandit and 2 others like this.

2. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow. I'm glad you took control quickly. How's your son doing? I hope it's a false alarm.
    Have you figured out how the are getting in? I'm guessing they are living in the attic.

jondanger likes this.

3. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

4. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

You mean, bat the critter around:p

On a serious note, good job dad; hope all turns ok for your son.

jondanger likes this.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    My sincerest hopes for you and your family that everything turns out okay. Good you took decisive action, and even better that you were informed.

Mr Green Genes, tonytrout and dented like this.

6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Sounds like you did the right thing. One can't take chances in that situation.

Been there myself at least three times. I keep an old tennis racquet handy in lieu of a broom, which gives that fly swatter effect.

There is a church two doors up from my place, that used to have a large bat colony residing in its attic. Before the church had the colony removed, we had so many bats in our backyard at night that you couldn't even count them. Now, of course, we have more mosquitos.

ZackyDog and jondanger like this.

7. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I think it is either a loose fitting screen in his bedroom or in the attic. I'm about to head up to the attic with a flashlight and see if I can find any signs of them (guano). It's only been two bats in my current house, and one was at my parent's house. This is over a 4 year period, so it's not out of control.

My son is fine, he has had rabies shots before and isn't sweating it if it comes to that.

Tempting, but you have to be careful because if you damage the head too much, they can't test the brain for rabies. It's really best to capture them alive if at all possible, then refrigerate them until they can be properly euthanized and tested.

8. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Yeah, I hate to exterminate the little guy because he's probably eating half his weight in tiger mosquitoes every night, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Stringbanger likes this.

9. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Had one in the house several years ago, used my old Racquet ball racquet to subdue and turn loose out side. However :
    In reality, bats contract rabies far less than other animals. Less than 1/2 of 1% of all bats may contract the disease. A variety of wild animals (rabies vector species) can catch rabies, including foxes, skunks, raccoons, coyotes and bats.

Over here in Dundalk we empbrace the bats as mosquito prevention , fowes we fear more.

10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Yes, the little brown bat can consume about a 1,000 mosquitos in one hour. They are our friends if they are not in our houses.;):D

ZackyDog, uriah1 and telemnemonics like this.

11. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Another beneficial animal killed by unwarranted fear.

Alamo, Marn99, KCJonez and 7 others like this.

12. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Yeah when I see one outside I'm grateful, when I see one inside and I'm not sure who touched it, no mercy no quarter.

SolidSteak and beyer160 like this.

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I love bats and know they provide a service and nobody wants to uselessly kill anything...especially you from what I've read before.

I agree that the likelihood of rabies is small but who would take that chance? The cost and effort are too small to gamble. Good luck!

jondanger likes this.

14. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    If there is an *any* percent chance that an animal gave my kid a disease that is 100% fatal, I'm going to do whatever I have to do to ensure his safety. Are you suggesting that I get all three people who were asleep in the house post-exposure vaccinations (4 shots * 3 people * $75 per ER copay = $900), or that I live for the next 1-2 months knowing that there is a chance that someone in my family develops an incredibly painful terminal disease, and that I could have prevented it?

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Knowledge is important. Knowledge is power. Bats are quite common in cabins up here and chasing them out is what people do. Rabid bats are usually very sick and/or can't fly which is pretty rare here in the states. That said, with a sleeping child who may not know if he was bitten, I think in this case you probably took the appropriate action. But for everyone else, you can just open the door or window and you can shoo them out pretty easily.

awasson, moosie and william tele like this.

16. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Bats are not aggressive. They are more afraid of you than you are of them. If you got bitten by a bat, that means you were looking for it. (Which can also be said about bees.)

I once got bitten by a bat, because she was stuck in a basement and I tried to catch her with my hand. Geez, these jaws were strong, and these tiny teeth pinched my finger really bad, so I shook my hand to make her let go off my finger. Those little teeth, as hard as they pinched, did not make it through my skin.
    The pinching was painful, but it was only a pinching. No open wound, no blood.
    When I finally got her, I just put her outside and off she went. Getting a disease didn’t even cross my mind.
    All this to say, next time it happens, just open the window and let her go.
    Anyhow, your son still asleep meant he hadn’t been bitten. Otherwise he would have woken up, believe me.

awasson, Bones and telemnemonics like this.

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    But I thought vampires could bite their victims without waking them.

moosie likes this.

18. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    OP, the pic makes it look like you put it in the microwave. I was a little sketched out for a sec.

I like bats in my house. They keep the bugs down, then leave once they've eaten them all. Nice little creatures.

Loco likes this.

19. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Isn't histoplamosis the more real concern?

No bat droppings for me, please

I looked into bats, and they don't like the smell of eucalyptus oil. I wipe my windowsill with it when they decide it is a good roost

Wallo Tweed and telemnemonics like this.

20. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    I thought the same thing....great minds, etc...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.