Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cars vs guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dlew919, Oct 12, 2018 at 3:21 AM.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Thee communities are pretty much identical. Things I’ve noticed -

Years, brands, styles.

A 32 Ford. A 52 Tele. A 52 Cadillac a 59 Les Paul. Lincoln continental - gretsch white falcon etc. (I’m just drawing some comparison - not identical)

Strings - tyres - pickups - engine mods. Etc

Amps. Engine types

Obsession with finishes, upholstery, colours.

Younger guys who want to go fast. Older guys who like to take it slower. (And vice versa)

Any other comparisons?

2. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
    Oil threads.

Tonewood threads.

dlew919 likes this.

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Exhaust note / tone?

Incidentally, I've no idea what any of those cars are...

dlew919 likes this.

5. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2017
    California
    [​IMG]
    I had an idea for a luxury guitar like it would have lasers that would tell you the action and intonation and relief built in tuner and have a door for picks and stuff. I guess I've been driving my Avalon too much lately, also thanks for all who helped me when I was shopping for a car.

RodeoTex, Mike SS, ftbtx and 2 others like this.

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    After a lifetime of work, paying taxes, giving all to your family ( if you've had children) and all the costs of life why not treat yourself to something if you can. there are plenty of grey haired bikers on Harley Davidso's in this city. Why not?

dlew919 likes this.

7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Cars vs. Guitars???

Not sure when they play but,
    LSU vs. Georgia is tomorrow at 2:30.
    Geaux Tigahs!!!

Sconnie and fatcat like this.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    When talking to my wife, I find it useful to compare what I spend on guitar gear with what people we know spend on auto restoration, dirt track auto racing and such. (The same works for boating, cycling and golf as well).

"This guitar was only $100 at the thrift store. Sure, it needs work. Hey, did you know that Roy just spent 8 grand on a engine and it's in really bad shape."

Skamania and dkmw like this.

9. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Yep, guitars and amps are a relatively cheap pursuit. I’ve owned a bunch of boats over the years - that’s how I know guitars are cheap lol.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The problem with the guitar market is that most car buyers are sold on the most new technology while most guitars are sold on the most old technology. Airbags, anti-lock brakes, and suspension refinements are preferred for cars.

Compared with preferred guitar pickups are wound just like they did in the 1950s; must use rare exotic imported woods like they used back then not that modern space-age laminated lumber or a fast replenishing species for a more ecological choice, hand drilled/planed/router templates preferred over CNC accurately milled bodies and necks. Nitro vs poly rage wars.

But if they open that crack, I suppose autonomous guitar playing might become the new thing ...

Tesla Auto Pilot, what the AI car sees

Taryn Southern song co-produced by AI (look in her video notes for details on the music AI)

Another using robots and conventional instruments (these are not AI, they use a 'teach' functions to replicate what the programmer does or wants).

Or these guys

Gotta have 'new' in that military robot

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 8:59 AM

11. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    Hmm, I had a ‘59 Imperial Crown Coupe which had a gold finish like a Les Paul gold top.

Then I had a ‘64 T-Bird in a similar color to Burgundy Mist, a ‘71 Dodge Challenger R/T in “Tored” which looks like something between fiesta and torino red, and a ‘70 Challenger in alpine white, which is similar to Olympic white.

Colors which I haven’t found matches for are the curious yellow on my ‘71 ‘cuda, or sublime green on my ‘70 Charger.

My current car is a BMW 530i in titan silver, it would go well with an aluminum Tokai Talbo.

12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    One similarity is the attitudes towards where the thing was made. To some people, American-made is best. Others prefer Japanese. Some are quite happy with Korean, but cars or guitars from India are not very popular.

dlew919 likes this.

13. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I've often compared cars and guitars. It always starts with the finish type and colors. The disposable parts that wear and all the custom parts one could buy, its not hard to compare the hobby or life style. You can consider them as simple tools or take them to the most nerd level one's mind can imagine.

One thing I'm sure of is, a guitar should not kill you under most any condition. A car needs special piloting and care of maintenance to avoid that.

As a member of both communities, I enjoy them a great deal.

dlew919 likes this.

14. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    There are some big differences though...

You don't get dirty working on guitars.
    There is basically 0 ongoing expense to play your guitar. Cars require gas and tons of maintenance.
    Almost no one spends so much on guitars that a financial advisor would say they've compromised their families financial health, significant portions of the American population go way over their head with bad car decisions
    Your guitar never gets stuck in traffic
    Guitars don't depreciate in value rapidly to 0 like cars
    Guitars get "mojo" with play & wear, cars break

Guitars probably appeal more across generations. Baby Boomers are way way way more into cars than younger generations.

dlew919 likes this.

15. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    One of my life's dreams is to build a Shelby Cobra replica. With a 427 and AC, LOL.

16. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Don't forget the automatic transmission!:lol:

dlew919 and OldGuy6873 like this.

17. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Peoria, AZ
    And the KILLER sound system! Oh, and ABS and traction control....LOL

dlew919 and OldGuy6873 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.