Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Careless neighbor burned my poly finish with a soldering iron

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by giantrobotswinbig, Jun 28, 2017.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well, that sucks... Sure it's inevitable that unless it lives in a display case and is never played, a guitar will get some scuffing, dents or scratches but that first injury is the worst and even more so when it's someone else's fault.

A couple of things caught my attention.

1) The neighbour texted to see if you were ok. Time to man up and honestly tell him that your upset about the damage to your new guitar. No drama, no anger, just straight up: "I realize it was an accident but you seriously damaged the finish on my new guitar and I'm pissed about it. It was in mint condition and that's the way I like it. I have to fix it. Do you have any suggestions?"

2) those are some good suggestions in the discussion about polishing compound and nail polish to clean it up and repair it. I can't get a good idea of the paint from the photos but it's likely you can find a nail polish that is a close match.

3) Time for a real f'ing soldering iron. Never, ever, ever does a soldering iron need leverage. Soldering irons need lots of wattage to focus intense heat on a very small area. If someone is using leverage with a soldering iron, it means the iron was garbage and the joints are going to be poor. Get a new iron (minimum 40 watt), pull the controls and reflow the solder.

4) If he's a good friend cut him some slack. Stuff happens and when people screw up, they can get embarrassed and don't always handle it well. I speak from experience... I've screwed up lots of things and mostly handled it badly. I'm lucky to have very understanding friends.

Anyway, good luck with all of that. That's a nice guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.