Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Careless neighbor burned my poly finish with a soldering iron

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by giantrobotswinbig, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Polishing *compound* is a specific type of product - it is not polish. "Rubbing" compounds are also specific types, all more coarse. I stand by my recommendation having been doing this for 40+ years and having spent 35 specifically in the business.

2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Be thankful it doesn't doesn't look like mine. It looks absolutely horrible. Sheesh. And don't be to hard on the guy that helped you for free.

[​IMG]

fenderchamp likes this.

3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha

4. giantrobotswinbig

giantrobotswinbig TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Olympia, WA
    Thanks for the advice about the nail polish. I'm going to go to Target and see if I can find a sparkly metallic white.

It could just be that my neighbor felt bad and didn't know what to say. However, he is in his 60s and should really know better-- or at least, I would hope he would have the fortitude and integrity to work his way up to apologizing.

Though I've known him for several years, I think it's fair to question the value of a friendship with someone who acts with such disregard toward me. (Although I would like to repair the finish, the disregard bothers me more than the actual damage.) I can forgive someone who makes a mistake, owns up to it, and puts in effort to make things right. I'll see how he acts the next time I see him.

5. giantrobotswinbig

Jun 28, 2017
    Olympia, WA
    A new guitar would be a bit much, haha, but I agree with the overall sentiment you expressed.

BorderRadio likes this.

6. giantrobotswinbig

Jun 28, 2017
    Olympia, WA
    Thanks! Is there a brand you would recommend?

7. giantrobotswinbig

Jun 28, 2017
    Olympia, WA
    I think this is very sagacious advice. Thank you! I was debating whether it was worth calling him up to confront him about it directly, but I agree with your insight that it would likely only exacerbate things. If he brings it up himself, I will politely but sternly tell him that his lack of an apology and his trying to make light of the situation really bothered me.

I'm hoping I can find a way to get rid of the discoloration so that it's not such a blatant reminder of my neighbor whenever I see it. Some people have mentioned nail polish, micromesh & scratch remover, car polish, and other things. I'm planning on re-evaluate how I feel about the mark in a couple weeks.

src9000 likes this.

8. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

Tread lightly friend, I advise you to drop the grudge by sunset. People, all people are , more important than things.

awasson likes this.

9. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

At least he didn't drop it on the tiles..... like a friend of mine did....:rolleyes:

we're still good friends....;)

a bit of black nail finish and you hardly notice it..from a distance...:lol:

I then lent the tele to another friend to record an album... he didn't even notice/care about the dings....

Tele ding4.jpg

10. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I have fixed scratches etc. with nail varnish before. There are lots of colours, esp metallics, and they give a lasting finish.

I had a friend who owned a music shop and he used to do all of my setups. I took in a brand new Lite Ash Tele for them to fit a four way switch. Being busy, my mate passed the job on to a young lad at the shop who managed to put a soldering iron burn right on the front of my shiny black guitar.

Lesson learned. I never gave them any work again and swiftly learned to do my own setups while finding a more reliable guy to do the bits I can't.

I was furious but I'm still friends with the shop owner.

11. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2009
    Bavarian Iller Delta
    The guitar is' by Fender '? Squier J.Mascis Jazzmaster , right ? Time to leave it behind , it's a girls guitar anyway . :)

Doorlord likes this.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    You have to do what you have to do OP but this is how I'd approach it. This or one of the half dozen other suggestion being made.

I get that his attitude pissed you off but that could have stemmed from his own embarrassment as well. I would not flush a ten year friendship down the tubes over that no matter how upset you are.

This may sound a bit trite to you but if you play it it's gonna get more dings than that over they years. It's not a Faberge Egg or Waterford Crystal is a flipping guitar and they do get some bruises over time. If you can cool off and let the dust settle ten years from you'll have a few more dings and still have a friend for 20 years if that what you want. ;)

brobar likes this.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    That's barely visible, you should see what I've done to the kitchen table.

14. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    Just let the dings, dents and uh... burns go. The guitar will play fine, it's not a collector's piece, and you will feel better once you accept that a guitar that gets played will get damaged.

I used to get bent out of shape over dings but as long as it's not structural, I don't really care what happens to my instruments.

Try to let it go and you will be happier.

Or not! just my two cents.

15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Agent Mulder (X-files) said it best:
    Trust No One!

Truth be told, temperaments are like snowflakes; no two are exactly alike.

Some guys don't care when their gear gets jammed up; for others, it's a real tear-jerker!

So... don't dismiss the OP's angst over this because it doesn't bother YOU! It obviously bothers HIM - and that's okay.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Loco likes this.

16. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    Brand isn't going to be an issue your clear is cured, you'll need to clean any wax off with alcohol, scuff it a bit with a burgundy scotchbrite pad to dull the finish and give the clear something to bite on, Fender used to use Sherwin Williams Auto on their guitars , they may have the paint code for your silver ,but you still wont get a perfect match, or a paint store with a spectrum analyzer can get close on touch up

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I am suggesting that you either accept the little flaw or find someone with a lot of experience. IF I accepted such a job, it would be with caveats. The repair would be a challenge due to the metalflake. If the discoloration could be taken out with some fine sanding without getting into the flake, then some clear finish repair could take the damage away..nail polish might get it done...more intensive finish work might be necessary. Amateur work, which is what got you where you are, could end up making it all worse.
    As for the friend, I say that his 'are you okay' is an indication of his regret at this happening. I consider this little mishap to be minor. Do you have a picture of his soldering work on the guitar? At any rate, forgive and forget......something much worse could have happened...and something worse will more than likely happen to the cosmetics of the guitar. Get back together with the fellow and play a tune or two.....

tonyj and lil scotty like this.

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Is that on the "bottom" edge of the guitar? It's hard to orient the pic. But it is very small and if it's on the bottom edge, on a part of the guitar you don't see unless you are looking for it. Can you take a picture from a bit more distance?

I suspect your friend was embarrassed and felt bad in the moment. Sometimes we don't handle those moments well. As @Wally notes, he seems to have realized that later and extended the olive branch. Be the bigger man and take the offering. And some pics with more perspective (farther back) might help folks advise, but I'd just leave it alone, as @Wally notes.

Omiewise65 likes this.

19. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    The damage is very small. Beware: any attempt to fix this might produce more damage. I would advise you to live with it.

Me however, I would try to polish first, then seal the crack with a tiny drop of CA glue (clear) and maybe use some shiny metallized nail polish to blend the spot (that's the tricky part), and polish again. And it would probably end up being worst...

And keep the friend: maybe one day you'll want to do some relic finish...

beezerboy and Omiewise65 like this.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    That discoloration CANNOT be covered up. It must be removed. Once that removal process begins, the process has been engaged. That process is like a bulldog that WILL NOT release the clamp.....one has to go as far as needed to reach the end of the process. The bite might be worse than the problem....especially and again IF the person doing the repair does not have some good experience in such things.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.