Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Captain Beefheart the magic band

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by chemobrain, Sep 25, 2017.

1. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    Spotlight Kid & Clear Spot

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Someone gave me a copy of Clear Spot in High school. I still think "My Head is My Only House Unless it Rains" is a beautiful piece of R&B. Not what most people think
    when they think of Beefheart.

Humscruddle and A.B.Negative like this.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Those little golden birdies look at them

And the mystic Egypt tossle dangling down
    Old sleeper-man shish, don’t wake him
    Up one hand broom star was an obi-man
    revered throughout the bone-knob land
    His magic black purse slit creeped open,
    Let go flocks of them

Shish sookie singabus
    Snored like a red merry-go-round horse
    And an acid gold bar swirled up and down,
    Up and down, in back of the singabus
    And the panataloon duck white goose neck quacked
    webcor, webcor

4. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 7, 2009
    Ventura CA
    Fantastic albums. Way, way ahead of it's time.
    Believe it or not, 'Too Much Time' was a single, I even heard it on the top forty radio. Imagine some record suit thinking Beefheart was a hitmaker!

BorderRadio and TigerG like this.

5. David Barnett

Our local FM station played "Big Eyed Beans From Venus" and "Clear Spot".

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Big Eyed Beans ! After they got that one locked in and perfected, I dream that they all pounded the good Capt for being such a dick (but, of course, it lead to perfection - like the guitars on that song).

There's soooo much to take in on this one (3:35) : monocle, red Tele, underwear on head, Capt looking back at Rockette Morton crouch dancing behind him.

BorderRadio, gee. and David Barnett like this.

7. David Barnett

And about two minutes of Art Tripp's left foot. Don't forget the green moustache. I think Tripp's whole stage getup and persona was a leftover from his time with the Mothers of Invention.

I don't think Don ever got his just desserts from any of the Magic Band members, although I suppose the MS could have been some cosmic karma.

Nah, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even a see you next tuesday like DVV.

8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    His work seems to take advantage of Burroughs' 'cut-up' method, and in that way, seems a musical outgrowth of the Beats. The books are a purposely contentious read. Up to the listener if that method transfers well to music.

9. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    The boys in the band all hated Clear Spot for being a sell out from what I have read, but it was pretty accessible. Big Eyed Beans from Venus rocks tho.

10. David Barnett

That's not my impression at all, at least from reading books by Harkleroad and French, who seemed quite positive toward "Clear Spot".

I think the band members were rather keen not to go through the process that led to "Trout Mask Replica" again, and preferred playing the more blues-based and accessible material that came later.

11. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    After hearing some songs on stuff like shinny beast and Ice cream for crows it was nice this finally got released:

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    That’s right, the Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous.

13. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    I m pretty sure there are some good books (biography maybe ) about Captain beefeater over. Do you know any worth reading ? I don t like much the music, it s a bit too far out but i d love to read a bit more about him. Same for Gerry garcia, but i ll create another thread for that. Thanks.

14. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I think Clear Spot and Spotlight Kid had more thought-out compositions. They had 'songs' instead of some of the rambling, free-form things that might or might not have been compositions. I like most all of his stuff.

15. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 19, 2016
    S.F. Bay Area
    Still my favorite...

16. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I like the book that Bill Harkleroad (Zoot Horn Rollo) wrote. It has some interesting insights and doesn't gloss over the difficult stuff.

johnny k likes this.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.