Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Capacitors, switches, wiring etc

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by WingedWords, Jan 2, 2018.

1. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    uriah1 and DaphneBlue like this.
  2. danpan

danpan Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    South Dakota
    Thank you!! Good to know!

3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Seeing that giant capacitor doesn't fill me with confidence regarding his expertise.

JD0x0 likes this.
  4. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    25 pounds for a capacitor ? :rolleyes:

JD0x0 likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    When I see caps like that, pushback cloth wires, and a twisted pair of wires to the output jack (which should be full shielded otherwise just run a twisted pair all the way to the amp) -- I wonder too, but I know who he is selling to. They spends the money.

However, he has beautiful product layout, great conductor routing, and nice soldering that you want to display it in a shadow box on the wall not hide it in a Tele.

JD0x0 and JuneauMike like this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    But wait, there's more!!!

Display your wiring proudly... with our new TRANSPARENT ACRYLIC CONTROL PLATE!!!

Be the envy of your bandmates... the object of every woman's desire... the undisputed Master of the Telecaster!!!

Order NOW!!!

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  7. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Take my money!

LutherBurger likes this.
  8. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    I like that multi-contact input jack. I'm surprised that's not more common considering how often that's a point of failure.

He says about the "Jupiter Vintage Yellow Tone" cap "Tone roll off is very smooth", I think these sorts of phrases deceive guitarists into thinking that the type of cap will effect the roll off, that's just not the case. The roll off is a function of variable load across the pickup, so if it depends on any component, it depends on how precise the logarithmic resistive strip is in the tone pot.

I see the word "tone" is used a lot, as it always is, "quality tone", "authentic tone", but when you read marketing copy and see "tone", mentally replace it with the word "nohtingness", because it means nothing. "Warm" to me might mean "muddy" to you, or "shrill" to you might mean "jangly" to me. They throw that word "tone" around because they know you trust their judgement, and your trust is there to be taken advantage of. They'd tell you PIO caps will get you laid if it didn't strain credibility too far.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  9. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Oh come on now. Everyone knows you need a 600Volt rated Paper In Oil cap for your guitar to sound good. It's not like 30 cent capacitors that function are perfectly available, more reliable and more accurate.. And with the high voltages our guitars run at, 600V+ caps are a MUST.

Oh I wonder if he uses cloth covered wire too, everyone knows PIO caps are useless without cloth covered wired.

I wonder if this is the same guy Donny, that runs a Fender facebook group who's ripping people off with these same 'mods'

I've used 'Pure tone' jacks and apart from the gimmicky name and false claims of tonal improvement, I do think they're quality jacks.

10. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    All very interesting, but with 40+ years of playing various telecasters I now have one that I'm very happy with.

11. Topbuild

Topbuild NEW MEMBER!

Apr 10, 2018
    Cheeseland, WI
    That looks like an AA Duracell battery

eclecticsynergy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.