Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Capacitor?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by robert91352, Jan 15, 2010.

1. I'm wiring a standard Telecaster and have a .047 cap. In the pickup box there were 2 other capacitors. Does one of these have to be installed? Don't know if they're .001uf or what they are. The pickups are '51 Nocaster. The number on them is ICSMR 1 04K 25OV S 813. Thanks.

2. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Tele-Meister

I think the rule is....it is your project...nothing "HAS" to be done. Only what you want to do will depend on how it turns out.

3. FatKnife

FatKnife TDPRI Member

May 9, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Caps/values

Hi Robert. The world of caps and their contribution to the final sound of your circuit is pretty important. Having said that, I'm long removed from electronics classes and don't remember that much. Here's a link to an article about tele modding that's really interesting. The fellow talks about using a 3300 pf cap in a simple, traditional-style tele circuit instead of the .047 one you're using. Maybe this will help you gain some more understanding of the "cap thing."
    http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...Mod_Guide.aspx

4. aalbinger

aalbinger TDPRI Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Marion, IA

5. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    Just a guess but maybe the other caps are for the dark neck pickup setting in the original vintage wiring. Don't have a lot of experience but I just run the .047 cap between the volume and tone pots.
    D F

6. JCP11

JCP11 TDPRI Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Elkin North Carolina
    Robert , I had 2 capacitors that read ICMSR 104K 250V S 749. I put one between the 2 pots like normal and it sounds great.

Jack

7. user34603

user34603 TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    here's an idea.. decide for yourself... there is a specific point for each lead of the cap to be soldered.. instead.. solder two lengths of hookup wire long enough to hang out from under the control plate... Now string her up and simply wrap the respective leads around the pigtails from the cap... play it a while,, then change to another cap... play a while... when you find one you like.. you have found the "best" cap for your guitar....

and you now know how to bypass all the BS that is posted in these threads about caps... just hook the little boogers up until you find one that YOU like. No BS required.

Remember what someone else thinks is best, may be, but only for them... some like Goat Eyeball and Pig Nad soup... think it's a great delicacy.... but... I'm not even interested in trying it....it can be "best" for them all day long... Nope... nada chance... I don't like my food staring back... :D

Ron Kirn

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Anode100 likes this.

9. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I think the 1 04k is .01uF, if I recall correctly.

And I'm with Ron. Farr around with different known cap values until you get one that sounds pleasing to you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.