Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can't wait any longer......must build archtop!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Crafty Fox, Jul 23, 2017.

1. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Not too shabby, I suppose [insert appropriate ironic emoji].

Crafty Fox likes this.

2. HairyChapter

HairyChapter TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Göteborg, Sweden
    D**n! that is some pretty grains...

Crafty Fox likes this.

3. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Beautiful! Love it.

Crafty Fox likes this.

4. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    I tend to mess around with other stuff during a build, sort of resting between the tricky jobs.
    So I made a maple base for the TOM bridge, but I'm not too sure I like it?
    I know tradition demands rosewood or ebony but I just thought; why not maple? It's used on violins etc. But it does look odd. Anyway I can just as easily make another base in rosewood if this one is too offensive.
    I'll do the grain filling today with West Systems epoxy. Not my favourite chore, but the preparation maketh the job. And it's only the back and sides I need to do.

IMG_3914.jpg

Zepfan likes this.

5. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Is the top going to be natural? Giving the maple enough tint to be a few shades darker than the top would look good.

6. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    I'm thinking of putting a hint of colour on the top. I don't like to leave it so white.
    I saw a Herb Ellis advertised recently that had a sort of gingery, faint burst to it. I really liked the effect. Although that had maple sides with similar effect.
    I'll probably make two more bases; one out of jarrah to match f'board, then decide I should go with tradition and use rosewood!
    But I'm definitely using the TOM. Perhaps. :confused:
    And THEN...............there's the pick guard/fingerrest! I don't normally like them and avoid if possible. However, the archtop lends itself to one, I think. So, possibly jarrah there.

7. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Yeah I'm waffling on that one too. Would prefer not to but convenient for a floating mag pickup.

Crafty Fox likes this.

8. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Let us spray!
    I may have overdone the West System filler a bit and its taken a while just to clean up the neck again. So, before I start sanding the body I thought I would acquaint myself with the spray gun. I haven't used it for about two years.
    I sprayed another coat of Hard Shellac to complete the sealing. From now on I'll be spraying nitro. Some for toning, the rest will be clear coats.
    I have a new compressor which I've used with nail guns but not for spraying. My previous one was dedicated to spraying so I didn't need to mess with the pressures. Anyway my neighbour needed the old compressor recently so I thought I'd treat myself to a nice new one, and donate the old. Any excuse to buy new tools.
    Its really too windy for spraying outdoors but I'm keen to crack on. Not my best finish but I will do better. IMG_3919.jpg

richa, guitarbuilder and TenaciousP like this.

9. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    One of the benefits of spraying a gloss sealer is that it shows up all the fine scratches and bumps so I can fine sand those areas. The top is pretty good but there are a few minor areas to sort on the back. Not obvious till sprayed.

IMG_0167.jpg
    I mentioned earlier that I'd spray neck and body separately; well I have to, don't I?! Imagine trying to spray and buff the the area under the neck extension. :eek:
    Good thing I didn't glue the neck in place.

TenaciousP and richa like this.

10. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I have access to Jarrah, but have heard it is very hard and wears out tools in no time. Is this your experience? Was considering it for a body.

11. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Hi, thanks for the interest.
    Jarrah is usually very heavy. You certainly won't suffer neck dive on your guitar. :lol:
    It would be similar to black walnut in my experience. Maybe even heavier.
    I wouldn't say it would dull the tools more than most, but depends on what you compare it with.
    I work with it often and in the past it was mostly used for structural purposes here in Western Australia. Nowadays its valued for its beauty and is harvested on a vastly reduced quota for furniture and joinery. I'll be constructing a jarrah screen on a customer's balcony this week. It is wonderful for external joinery; tough and hard as Chuck Norris!

I know its been used in acoustic guitar construction but I haven't seen or heard one.
    I'm told it can be a bugger to bend.
    It can also move a bit so best left to re-acclimatise after dressing.
    I would only use it for a thinline or chambered body. I often make fretboards from it.

I hope that helps.

mux164 likes this.

12. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    That helps a bunch. My next door neighbor is the wood buyer for a large outdoor furniture manufacturer. He always has it, has offered it before, but I have declined based on what I have read about it being hard. Glad to get get some real world advice on it. I will have him bring some home. He also gets a lot of what he calls Australian mahogany, I think it is eucalyptus?? I have used it for making decorations. May used it for a neck.

Crafty Fox likes this.

13. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    On another note, I will be in your great country in January. Melbourne area.

paulmarr likes this.

14. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks fantastic!!

Crafty Fox likes this.

15. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Hi,
    The Australian Mahogany is slightly heavier than jarrah! It comes in at over 900kg per cubic metre!!! I don't have any experience with it since its an eastern states timber. It is a eucalyptus like jarrah.
    Incidentally, jarrah was originally called Swan River mahogany by the early settlers because of its similarity in appearance. Perth was known then as The Swan River Colony.
    There's a suburb in the eastern Perth Hills called Mahogany Creek which keeps its name from those days. I like that name, nice area too. But too far from the beach. I'd live there but my wife likes to be close to the ocean.

Be careful using jarrah for a neck; it can move, and the weight may be prohibitive. So make sure it is very dry and acclimatised.

Enjoy your visit to Melbourne, its my favourite Aussie city. Melbourne in January will be slightly different weather to Michigan! Pack your sunscreen! :cool:

1bad914 and mux164 like this.

16. rainbowbear998

rainbowbear998 Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    That’s lovely! Not sure if you discussed this earlier in the thread, but why did you go for the Epiphone style headstock shape?

17. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Its a Benedetto headstock.

I did look at quite a few alternatives before choosing this one.
    I've drawn design inspiration from various sources: Benedetto Book and Plans (excellent, but are for a 17" and too large for me); ES 175 plans from Aust Luthier Supplies (total crap.....don't buy them if you need accuracy), my mate's Epi Sorrento, and many hours of internet browsing.
    I'm not trying to build a Gibson clone but I do have a great liking for the ES 175.
    Likewise, my Tele Thinlines are unlike Fenders but of course are hugely inspired by them.:cool:

1bad914 and mux164 like this.

18. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Blew some colour over the body and the back of the neck, at the body join.
    Its almost what I wanted but I'll spray a clear coat on before deciding to add more colour or leave as is. It is close though. Just a very faint 'burst.
    I removed the internal tape under the sound-holes so I could get an even spread of colour in there too. Stuffed some rag in below the holes but the spray blew them around the inside.
    The green around the top edge is car detail masking tape. I prefer to use it rather than to spray then scrape off edges.
    Some Bear Claw showing on the bass side of the lower bout.

IMG_3946.jpg IMG_3948.jpg

VictOr358, Barncaster, richa and 2 others like this.

19. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Beautiful work CF!

DC

Crafty Fox likes this.

20. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Many thanks Dave. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.