Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can't wait any longer......must build archtop!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Crafty Fox, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Your choice of course, but with the nice smooth lines of the "S" holes they'd be easy to do and I thought it would just add extra dimension to the overall appearance.

DC

2. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Final mockup before committing to chopping holes in the top. :eek:

IMG_3853.jpg

3. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Too late to change my mind now............'S' holes and pickup holes are cut.
    I glued the braces in place. I was concerned that the cross braces would diminish the sound quality but the tap tone doesn't seem to have altered much. Sounds good to my ears! Mind you, these ears have been hammered by many gigs, mostly other bands plus my own past bands and about 100 years of construction sites. In fact, my ears probably look better than they sound! :lol:
    Still to drill holes for controls and toggle switch. Undecided on position of toggle: I like the traditional ES175 layout but I'm not keen on having so much heavy wiring rattling about inside.......more research is needed.
    I'll trial install the electrics and solder whatever I can before I glue the top on and close the box.

IMG_3864.jpg IMG_3865.jpg

4. imploration

imploration Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Crafty Fox likes this.

5. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Love it!

Crafty Fox likes this.

6. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Soldered the electrics together so it should be easier to install in the finished guitar and I should be able to feed most through the pickup cavities and just solder on the ground wire which will connect to the metal tailpiece.
    Seymour Duncan SH1 '59 at the neck with SH4 'JB' at the bridge. I did try to put in a push/pull coil cut on the JB but my schematics got 'lost in translation' somewhere so I went back to normal 50's style of Gibson wiring. I was trying to work off 3 different schematics!
    I may have another look at the coil-cut later when my eyes stop spinning in concentric circles.:confused:
    As you see, I went with the traditional ES175 switch position, and I hope I can fit some little clips to keep all that wire tidy.
    The box is closed!!!
    I'll adjust/finish the shape of the top and install the bindings. They'll just be plain cream, Les Paul style.

IMG_3886.jpg IMG_3888.jpg IMG_3889.jpg

7. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I want a video of getting those pots mounted. :)

That looks sweet!

Piggy Stu and Crafty Fox like this.

8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I figure the selector might be a bit tricky but the pots should be ok. Similar to my AS100 which I've rewired 3 or maybe even 4 times in the past 36 years. As long as you can get the pots inside the body and your fingers fit through the "S" openings, your in business.

richa and Crafty Fox like this.

9. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    That's really killer, and I'm quite jealous. I'm not jealous of the work ahead of you when it comes time to wire her up. Those humbucker bracing boxers are nicely crafted, yet I foresee them causing troubles when clearing your pots and wiring.

Looks great though. Great

Crafty Fox likes this.

10. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Having seen the top complete using your "S" holes, I bow to your superior vision of the end result you had in mind all along. The whole look is splendid!

DC

Crafty Fox likes this.

11. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    CF............Re the wiring, you can buy that curly plastic spiral stuff that you wrap around the bundles to secure to each other which should stabilize it a bit but would be a PITA if you ever had to pull anything out. Have a look here...http://www.tdpri.com/threads/maton-g240-inspired-tele-rip-off.306486/page-2#post-3822300

It's my Maton G240 build wiring section where I used a computer serial plug and socket to connect the dual rail 'buckers which proved to be helpful, as I needed to change "stuff" a few times, but the electronics was all on a tele style control panel which made it very easy.

DC

12. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Great idea....I might just go with that. I know the stuff you mean. Thanks :cool:

13. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Started the binding.
    Work on the back first so I can get a feel for it again. It's been a while since I last tackled this.
    Used my StewMac Binding Router Guide, aka the 'Nerve-Wrackifier" in the Dremel and cleaned up with a chisel.
    I set the ledge down a tad lower than the binding because I want to work on the edges a little more........on the recurve.

IMG_3891.jpg

Prophetsnake and richa like this.

14. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    That looks about right. :D

Nice work!

Crafty Fox likes this.

15. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia

16. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Both top and back are now bound. I'll leave the tape on overnight and see how accurate I've been before ordering a truck of filler. :rolleyes:
    Went back to the neck, just sort of fiddling around trying to keep busy.
    I like the feel of this neck, a bit like my '81 MIJ Epiphone Sheraton. It suits a semi, but I prefer a soft Vee on my Teles.
    I've always loved the stinger on some Gibson Barney Kessels so I did a take on it for this neck.
    In fact the Kessel is one of my favourite looking guitars. I think they are soooooo cool!!! But I did try one out a couple of years ago and didn't like the really narrow neck that Gibson favoured at the time (late '60s).

Nearly time to make some colour decisions. Leaning towards an amber top and back of neck, maybe a faint 'burst? Probably clear finish to back and sides, with a reddish grain filler.
    I think I'll make a Brazilian RW base for an TOM bridge. It'll match the headstock and the
    inlaid 'shield' on the tailpiece, which I may or may not use.
    Decisions on the fly!

IMG_3894.jpg IMG_3895.jpg

17. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Wow, that is really looking great!!

Crafty Fox likes this.

18. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Need more pictures of that neck. Sweet!

Crafty Fox likes this.

19. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Heat gun on: Peel tape off. Looking not too bad.
    I could have made the ledge a tad wider as the binding was overhanging slightly. But I can live with that, it's the same all the way round.
    Hardly any filler required. :p
    Now its time to finish sanding top and back and do some final neck adjustments before gluing on a heel cap and rounding off.
    I intend lacquering neck and body separately so I don't get a build-up at the neck joint.
    You may have noticed that I stuck some tape inside the body to try to reduce crud and spray residue. I used a low tack packing tape which I can push inwards then vacuum out later.........well, that's the plan.

IMG_3900.jpg IMG_3905.jpg IMG_3901.jpg

mux164, Robert.II, Macrogats and 3 others like this.

20. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    I still need to fiddle with the neck joint to true the alignment, but got distracted after I purchased some Hard Shellac. I decided to seal the back and sides. Just brushed it on as I often do. I better get the front done too so it'll be easier to keep clean.
    That sheoak really pops with the shellac.

IMG_3912.jpg

VictOr358, mux164, imbunche and 10 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.