Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can't wait any longer......must build archtop!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Crafty Fox, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Right Labrodawg, it's time to do something with this old piece of sheoak......let's build an archtop. I haven't done anything since the red Tele thinline a couple of years ago. IMG_3550.jpg

2. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Ok Crafty, I'll eat the off-cuts before Master gets home and sees the mess you're making. IMG_3551.jpg

3. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    No, its allright; I'll tell her I'm making firewood.

"What's firewood?"

Its stuff we used to burn in Scotland. To keep warm in summer.

"Oh, very clever. No wonder Master selected you to be her Minion. You're almost a fraction as smart as her".

Barncaster and dazzaman like this.

4. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Ok; sheoak thicknessed to 25mm for the back and glued up. Body mould made.

The recipe is maybe as follows:

16" ES 175 size body
    25" scale
    West Australian Sheoak for back and sides
    Spruce top
    Maple/Sheoak/Maple neck with Braz RW headstock cap
    Flamed Jarrah F'brd with MOP inlays
    Seymour Duncan humbuckers
    Grover Imperial tuners
    Kluson tailpiece
    And who knows what else....................making this up as I go but I do have a kind of mental picture of what I want.

I got the Benedetto plans (for 17") and book as well as fairly useless plans for Gibson ES 175 from an Aussie supplier. So making a kind of mash-up and open to change as I progress.
    IMG_3555.jpg

Stratohacker and mux164 like this.

5. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Here's a look at the sheoak on an OM I built a few years back. I got it from a timber mill I did some work in a few years ago, sadly closed down since. IMG_3441.jpg

6. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Work has slowed down lately which gives me more time on the bench. Doesn't help for ordering more parts from Old MacDonalds. But I do have quite a few bits collected over the years, so have enough to go on for a while.
    Progress on the neck has advanced:
    But I realised that I'd tapered the heel........forgot I had a cut-away to work to......so I grafted in some maple. It turned out OK, I can live with it.
    IMG_3543.jpg

7. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Headstock capped with Brazilian rosewood and inlaid with Mother-of-pearl.
    The back has a sheoak cap to balance the front. It'll also strengthen the neck/headstock transition. IMG_3528.jpg

8. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Oh, this is going to be good. The sheoak on the acoustic is beautiful!! I'll be watching closely.

9. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Not familiar with sheoak. Nice looking. How is it to work?

10. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Sheoak isn't actually an oak, but a Casuarina. A lot of timbers in Australia are often named according to the ones that reminded the settlers of the European varieties.
    I think NickJD previously said it is known in the USA as Australian pine. But its not a pine either.
    I like working with it. Its a mid weight wood and is stable, often with good resonance.
    I am very happy with my sheoak OM. I believe only the West Australian variety is suitable for guitar building.

Barncaster and richa like this.

11. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Sometimes I get an "oh bother" moment!

Side didn't bend as hoped. I'll cut new ones tomorrow and make them thinner. This one was 2.4mm as per Benedetto book (that was for maple), but I'll take them down to 2mm or less.

I also made the BRW tailpiece thingy. I always liked them on the Barney Kessel, but not quite sure if it suits the Kluson tailpiece? Maybe I should get the simpler Gibson tailpiece.......

IMG_3576.jpg IMG_3577.jpg

Zepfan, Barncaster and mux164 like this.

12. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Here's how the heel turned out after I grafted in new sides, to make square. The colour is slightly different but I can tone that out when I lacquer it. The grain matches well. It'll be even less visible after I shape the neck.... I hope!

IMG_3546.jpg

Piggy Stu, Warrant242, Zepfan and 2 others like this.

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    2mm or less seems really thin to me....I think most sides are around .080 give or take.

14. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister

Nov 9, 2011
    Adelaide, Australia
    Love the build! Have you considered using King Billy Pine (Tasmania) instead of Spruce?

15. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    That tailpiece does have strong art deco vibe that wants to be accomodated. I like the cover you did for it though.

Shame about the side. Neck looks pretty sweet.

16. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    2mm or less would fit pretty well into 80thou give-or-take. 80thou is 2.032mm.
    Unless I'm terrible at text-based sarcasm.

guitarbuilder likes this.

17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    You are right it wasn't sarcasm...just stupidity....I was thinking in terms of metric to English to decimal conversion all at one time in my head before coffee....LOL. That .0394"... is just too foreign once in a while. I equate 6mm with 1/4 and do the math in my head...incorrectly sometimes....:)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017

18. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Haha no worries! I work for a company that is in Canada but is American... which means I have to do these calculations constantly and have just memorized a whole bunch! Oh well! As long as our OP builds something awesome, right?

19. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    I have looked at King Billy but getting what I need is difficult, and I know the spruce will work well.

20. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Richa; I tend to agree with you on the tailpiece, and the Kluson one sits well with the Grover Imperial tuners.

Marty & mitchfink; I'm bilingual with measurements so quite happy with metric and imperial. I think like: "that'll be 2 feet, 7 inches, and 4mm" :cool:

mitchfinck likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.