Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can't quit smoking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Sep 13, 2018 at 3:26 PM.

1. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Being around other smokers was a huge problem for me when I was trying to quit; I don't know if it's the same for you. I had to quit going to bars with my smoker friends for a while (even after smoking was banned indoors). It was tough... I didn't want to lose friends, but it was just easier for me not being around smokers. I had to be like: "New rule: friends can't smoke in my car. New rule: friends can't smoke in my house. New rule: if you wanna hang out, come over to my non-smoking house, because I'm not going to the bar with you." But they were good friends, so they played along and welcomed me back when I was ready.

If I had been gigging playing bars a lot with smoking musicians during that time I don't know that I could have quit.

As time went by I tried joining back up with smoker my friends again to hit the bars and see live music, and eventually the link between beer+nightlife+cigs was severed! So you might not have to quit beer forever.

Anyway, you gotta try lots of things to see what works for you of course. Good luck!

2. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    When I quit smoking, I didnt have a drink almost a year. i found that I had to give up both if I wanted success.

Drinking a beer or two was either a reeeally uncomfortable battle of will or another self sabotage that I would always regret afterwards.

I unintentionally never picked up casual drinking again either, so that was even more free money I got for doing nothing...

Just quit.

Cigarettes suck, there are better things in life to waste your health and money on.

voodoostation likes this.

3. This is pretty much how I feel- although I would maybe insert "In theory" to the start of the first sentence, because people manage to get so entangled amongst all the many opinions and theories... Ultimately, you need to want it enough- and when it finally sinks into your consciousness just how harmful, expensive and stupid a habit it is- you really have little choice but to stop.

I used mints instead of gum- and eventually had to wean myself off that habit too!

My weight increased drastically after stopping smoking- and it took a lot of work and angst to remedy that, so I would advise anyone who has stopped to keep on top of this issue and "nip it in the bud".

The Alan Carr book has been mentioned a few times: It was useful to me in a way, I suppose... I continued to smoke for quite a few years after reading it, but the book did fundamentally alter my relationship with the habit. I never truly enjoyed it again after that. I'm obviously just a slow learner.

Good health to all smokers and ex-smokers out there!

Ripradiant likes this.

4. frankthedog

frankthedog TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2008
    SE OHIO
    I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this but acupuncture might help for any of you trying to quit. I am sure it isn't for everyone but my wife smoked for over 30 years and quit with the help of acupuncture. We were lucky enough to have a physician who does acupuncture right here in our small town!

uriah1 likes this.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Oh yeah -

Instrumental to me in quitting smoking were two cigarette hangovers I experienced.

That's where you go to a bar in your early 30's and drink - kind of to excess - and smoke - definitely to excess - and you wake up the next morning and it's a game-changer hangover.

A cigarette hangover.

Your brain needed oxygen and you basically provided it with +/- a pack of smokes in one bar evening.

The headache is crushing.

You think "Man, I did drink a little much but not that much - what the hell ?..."

So now, in the same way the smell of crap tequila can trigger dry heaves in folks that have had an epic tequila aftermath, sometimes when I smell a cigarette and I don't expect it my brain winces a little bit and sends a little shock to my system, like "Don't even think about it..."

6. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    It's not sarcasm. It's reality.

My father died of lung cancer at 50. I watched him die. He died hard, it wasn't pretty.

I smoked all through the 70s (everybody did). I spent most of the 80s and 90s trying to quit without a great deal of success. Finally kicked the habit two decades ago, cold, after a health scare. Haven't ever 'relapsed', and I don't miss cigarettes at all.

That's reality too. It took the prospect of my own death to make me stop. I wish I'd never started in the first place, but hindsight is great.

My lung function's decreased, and the heart problems I'm having now can probably be laid at the door of 20+ year habit.

You think that's sarcasm? Feel free.

I'm not going to offer the OP any advice beyond this: you really have to really want to really quit. Or you can just carry on smoking, but the chances are you will die of a smoking related illness.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 9:45 AM
    Mike Eskimo and Alamo like this.

7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Scientific fact, as reported in The Lancet: There is no known harm from nicotine gum or lozenges and there is no reason to ever stop using them, as they are far less harmful than cigarettes.

As I said above, I'm not in the least bit bothered by the fact that I'm addicted to nicotine. As a person who tends toward depression, nicotine is a known mitigator of the condition. Therefore, being able to ingest it without the negative health effects is a big deal to me.

That said, if it ain't hurtin' me, who cares if I'm addicted to it? I'm probably addicted to coffee, too. Should I quit and is cold turkey the only way to do it?

In short: I'm not using nicotine lozenges to "cure" myself of the addiction; I'm using them to stay off cigarettes and get the drug I want into my system without hurting myself. That's a very different thing.

voodoostation and Alamo like this.

8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Alamo likes this.

9. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I get that same feeling from the smell of vodka and orange juice. Yuck! Bad memories from high school.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The candy flavours are to hook kids.

StrangerNY likes this.

11. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2017
    Ottawa, Canada
    I smoked for 20 years, started in my 30s, DOH!!!... anyway, quit cold turkey, 9 months 14 days ago, each time I had the urge I would look at a time line for quit smoking and basically scare myself to quit. Sure, i have the odd urge that a puff would taste great today, BUT I know it would lead to another and another

Print out a timeline , and look at it, Sometime i open my imaginary pack of cigs, take one out, search for my imaginary matches, lite it up, and smoke my imaginary cig,, by the time i'm done, I no longer have the urge to smoke, also a cool way to keep people away from you cuz they think yur nuts lol

all the best to you, and, ask your friends NOT to give you a smoke, or you'll punch them in da face

quit smoking.jpg

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Regarding vaping “flavors” :

If they could devise a vaping liquid that tasted like the first cigarette in the morning or the first cigarette on your commute home ?

Lordy - I’m getting shivers !

13. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I don't know if it is available in your country but Chantix works.

I first learned about it after watching a 2 pack a day friend quit cold turkey with it. I ended up recommending it to some family members and friends. So far every single person I have recommended it too has not only quit, but still has not gone back to smoking 6+ years later.

So yeah... its not cheap, and apparently the nightmares and cold sweats in the beginning are not fun, but supposedly it literally makes cigarettes taste gross so you don't crave them at all anymore.

william tele likes this.

14. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    It only took around 400 years for causal link between smoking and cancer to be definitively proven, although connections had been made earlier.

I wonder how long it'll take before vaping is shown to be harmful? AFAIK there are few controls over what exactly goes in to vaping liquids, or over where the ingredients are sourced from.

Inhaling unspecified particulates into your lungs as a substitute for smoking seems like out of the frying pan into the fire to me.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

There's the old "anything is better than smoking argument", but what about kids that are just starting out? They are attracted to vaping like moths to a flame. You're right, we just don't know. Plus, more needs to be known about the effect of nicotine on adolescent brains. Does anyone really think that's a good idea?

16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's

Yeah, and it seems to work, too. Whenever I go to get a new bottle of jiuce (about $30 a month, compared to the 12 bucks I'd drop every other day on a deck of Reds!), there are always a few kids in there with their super-vapes, blowing out massive clouds of vapor that smell like blueberries or cotton candy.

I've got a 'small' one that doesn't generate that much vapor. Pretty much equivalent to a regular cigarette, minus the arsenic and whatnot.

- D

17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's

I did notice that when I went for a new bottle of juice the other day, there's now a warning label on the bottle - but that only refers to the nicotine content.

When I started vaping, I was fully aware that I was probably just switching up one set of chemicals for another. But in the 19 months since I started, my wind is better, blood circulation in my hands is much better, and the top range of my singing voice has mostly come back. I'll take that trade-off.

- D

18. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I feel for you, it’s a nasty addiction. Although my father quit, cold turkey after 35 years, my mother battled with it to the end & my younger sister, for about 45 years, (she’s down to a vape, supposedly the weakest intake). Adding alcohol to the equation, typically makes it harder to beat...wish I had a cure! Perhaps substituting a more positive addiction, like guitar/music’s, the answer?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    fasteddie42 likes this.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I appreciate your sentiment, but this is hyperbolic and thus, it won't work. I am free to go out and get more sun than my skin can handle, and get melanoma. I can buy old houses and haphazardly renovate them, ingest asbestos and get mesothelioma. I can get my paint gun out and shoot lacquer all day without adequate ventilation and get lung cancer. A young woman can refuse the Papilloma Virus vaccine, contract the virus and die of cancer of the cervix. There's scores of things that are less well regulated by the Gov't than tobacco and they can kill, too.

You cannot force people to do that which is "best" for them. This is still a free country - people need to have access to the means to make up their own minds. Their friends, neighbors and family can help by not smoking but ultimately, the user must decide if he uses or not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.