Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can't quit smoking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Sep 13, 2018.

1. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    Everybody hates a quitter

2. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    Maybe we will change that refrain

3. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Colorado
    I quit cold turkey 40 years ago and believe me its the best gift you could ever give yourself and the smartest thing you'll ever do. Time to man up and put that stuff behind you.

4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    I've been quit now for about 10 years.....this time was easy and at 60 years of age I really doubt it's a habit I will add back into my repertoire.

Here's some thoughts and the approach I took to replacing smoking with breathing.

1) I decided not to make quitting smoking a 'special event' to be marked by the passage of time....ie: "It's been 4 days 7 hours 13 minutes and 7 seconds since I had a cigarette!!" That just makes smoking important and keeps you focused on it.....stop celebrating smoking by not celebrating quitting.....make it unimportant.

Do you celebrate the last time you heard a car horn or a dog bark?...probably not, because it's not that important.....we only celebrate things that we want to remember as being important....so stop marking every increment of time as a celebration of smoking...even if it's quitting that you're celebrating, you're still making smoking important when you do that.

2) It's easy to quit smoking...you don't have to do anything...you simply have to not do something. I realized (decided) that there are already millions of things I don't do with great success and with absolutely no stress at all. Just think of all the other things you don't do.....smoking will just become another one of those things. I don't fly planes...I don't wear women's clothing (really, I don't!).....I don't run with the bulls.....I don't play bagpipes.....I don't eat radioactive waste....I don't go to church.....I'm an absolute expert at not doing millions of things....smoking is just another one of those.

3) Think in terms of what you are going to do instead of smoking. Just giving up smoking leaves a vacuum, (which we're told nature abhors and will readily rush to fill again with what's familiar, like say, smoking) ....so have a game plan of what will replace smoking.....like full deep breathing without coughing up chunky bits for example

4) The habitual aspect of smoking is far harder to quit than the actual physical addiction....far more difficult in fact. The physical addiction is over pretty quickly but it's all the behavioural aspects that keep their grip on you. That cig right after dinner...with coffee....with a beer....when you're stressed....etc. ...that's not addiction, that's habitual behaviour.

Not only are there strong behavioural cues of when and where it's time to smoke but for most people there are strong identity aspects as well. Consider the difference between these two statements. "I smoke." and "I am a smoker." The first simply describes a behaviour, the second statement is a declaration of identity....who you are, not just what you do.....guess which person will have the more difficult time quitting.

To those sincerely wanting to replace smoking with other behaviours it's not that hard when you have a solid concept and game plan and you change your identity from smoker to ? (breather, exerciser, self-respecter, person with nice breath and white teeth, whatever works for you and compels you).

5. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    You can do it.

Get angry.

Get mad at the fat cats making wads off of you and laughing about it / the inevitable major health complications that will surely reduce your quality of life / yourself for getting duped by the nasty buggers.

honestly, if you quit two things will certainly happen: You will feel better and you'll have more money... really...what are you waiting for?

I'm celebrating two years this coming February, I used the patches to success. I tried and failed like 4 or 5 times before I really buckled down and got mad.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

6. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Neaver was a real heavy smoker, but I quit 3 times before I really quit. Twice I quit for a year, then said "what the heck I can have one cig". Wrong. Then I buy a pack thinking, "I can just have one every day or two". I finally realized how bad I felt right after having one cigarette. my legs would get weak etc. I was usually bumming one at break at a gig. My final method was, as I passed the Quick Stop market, just tell myself, "let it pass , in 3 mins you wont think about it". It worked.
    Saw an old film showing people smoking on the airplane the other day. Wow! I had forgot about that. Seems so weird now...

Boneyguy makes good points above. Just quit. It's not something you have to actively do. Don't think, just don't. Mind over matter.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    If you know how many times I was standing behind somebody buying tickets And said “you know you’re not gonna win“ You’d be surprised but not surprised when I stopped saying it because a guy almost took a swing at me.

I thought I was doing a public service to the dumb slobs ...

william tele likes this.

8. Staggerlee666

Staggerlee666 Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    MPLS
    Quitting smoking is near and dear to my heart because at the time I quit in my early 30's I had been a miner for half of my life.

I will start of by saying this, and this is a scientific fact not some *******'s opinion. There a lot of folks on here suggesting you should take up vaping, chewing nicotine gum or using patches or some other stupid crap. While they are well meaning, these people are extremely ill-informed. Now for the scientific fact: you cannot use a substance to cure yourself of the addiction caused by this very same substance in the first place. It is like saying you will cure your alcoholism by switching to beer.

So, congratulations on realizing that smoking is an addiction. It is NOT a bad habit. A bad habit is picking your nose in public. It can be easily stopped. An addiction takes quite a bit more effort.

Second, make sure to learn more about the addiction and its mechanics. Someone suggested www.whyquit.org. It's a great resource that will start you on the journey to understanding the addiction to nicotine and why drinking for example seems to make it worsen. Alcohol rapidly reduces the nicotine levels in your blood and causes you to crave a cigarette much faster than usual.

Third, do yourscelf a favor andpurchase a copy of Allen Carr's "The easy way to quit smoking".gabtastic book dealing with the psyChological addiction to smoking.

Best of luck!

9. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    Vaping Nicolette or any of those "stop smoking aids" are total BS. What they do is keep the addiction alive because you are still using Nicotine and will at some point find the bull **** alternatives (Vape,Nicorette etc) unacceptable and start smoking again.

COLD TURKEY is the ONLY way to beat the habit. The only success I have ever had is by going cold turkey.

And when you think about it, Nicotine is out of you system in about 3 days if you don't indulge anymore and if you can make it that far, you are 90% there in stopping smoking. Just suck it up buttercup.

Now, if I can just follow my own advice, life would be amazing................

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

10. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Yup, I did that more than a few times as well.....just be patient with the feeling of wanting one and within a few minutes or sometimes seconds something else fills your attention and you haven't even noticed you've stopped thinking about it.

Which raises an interesting question. Where did the 'addiction' go in those few minutes/seconds? If addiction is some sort of objective, physical thing how does it just come and go like that?....especially if you haven't satiated it with more nicotine.....all that's happened is that your attention has been pulled somewhere other than noticing how your body is feeling the "I need a cig" feeling in the moment. If addiction is so strong and unrelenting how is that phenomenon explained?

I think the explanation is obvious....the mind (attention/intention/beliefs) are a far greater force than any addiction. So what about the power of our beliefs about addiction? If we go into it believing that addiction is this horrible monster we have to slay....it's going to take all our willpower to defeat it.....it's so powerful we might not win the battle....and to boot, it's an objective purely physical phenomenon that just happens to us.....if we start with those sort of beliefs then we stack the odds against ourselves from the start. In psychology it's called 'response expectancy'...it's what makes the placebo effect work.....we tend to respond in a manner that we expect to respond....simple. So what if we notice that the 'addiction' actually goes away really easily on it's own all the time anyway when your attention gets grabbed by something else....there was no drooling monster to slay, it just retreated because you had something more important/fun/useful to focus your attention on....it got bored and left.....you weren't giving it enough attention so it went away pouting....I don't know, I just know that it didn't take any willpower for it to disappear in those moments. So, what if we just make those moments last longer...like years...

To be honest, I think there is a lot of nonsensical thinking about addiction that we've been handed by probably well meaning 'researchers' and 'experts' that doesn't necessarily hold up under closer scrutiny.....experts are also not immune to 'response expectancy'...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    chiefline likes this.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I started smoking when I was about sixteen, eventually got up to one to one and a half packs a day. When I was about twenty-nine, I fell head over heels for the most beautiful girl I've ever known. She HATED smoke, and would only continue seeing me if I quit. I desperately wanted to. Some friends had gone to a hypnotist, and it worked for them.(they both later relapsed) I went to the hypnotist, and it gave me enough of a crutch that I could stop. Maybe two months later, the girl dumped me, but I had kicked the addiction enough that I never went back to smoking. That was thirty-eight years ago, and now smoking is so disgusting to me I could NEVER start again. I know how addictive it is, and how difficult to quit, but honestly, if I can quit so can you.....

12. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    I smoked for decades - started when I was 16. I got up to a pack and a half a day and knew I would not live long if I didn't quit. I tried a hundred times unsuccessfully before I finally kicked.

What finally worked was using the nicotine patch along with hypnosis. I used a stop smoking hypnosis tape I bought from a guy that does that sort of thing.

The patch greatly lessened the physical addiction while the hypnosis did the same for the mental addiction. I've been smoke free for a long time now and am really glad I finally did it.....and I was one of those guys that didn't think I would ever quit.

And you have to stay away from alcohol while you are quitting. If you don't you won't make it.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

More peer pressure to quit, over here. And that helps.

Being involved in music, actually doesn't help at all. Musicians, seem to be the first to start and the last to give it up.

I know people who have given up music to beat cigarettes. If it was me, in your shoes, I'd do it and find some people to hang with who absolutely do not smoke.

People wanna know why Bubbanov is not in a band, at present. Maybe reason #1 is, I'm so tired of tobacco.

Tough decisions. My Dad says quitting tobacco was the hardest single thing he's done in a life of 92 years.

nojazzhere likes this.

14. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    I smoked for over 30 years, averaging two packs a day. Quitting was hard, but I succeeded and have been smoke free since 2001.
    It took me a year to get ready. First I stopped buying cartons, and went back to King's from 100's. Then I started to take notice of my "triggers". Those situations that made me light up. Had a bunch. Answering the phone, using the bathroom, driving the car, after eating, while drinking alcohol, and the list went on. Once I did this I tried to take mental note of when I smoked, and not let the trigger make me light up. I also would not allow myself to make an extra run to the store if I ran out. Eventually I felt I could do it and used a nicotine patch. I chewed sugarless gum to help keep my mouth busy. After a couple of years I just stopped chewing gum.

15. boris bubbanov

I remember tobacco fields in cultivation, in the parts of Ontario just North of Lake Erie. Near London, etc.

Are those fields still there?

+

I think some folks in the American South still smoke or chew, because their family is in the business of growing it. Or maybe they live in Richmond (VA) and work at the cigarette plant there. There's still a lot of fields to be seen in Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina.

16. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    as a nicotine addict recovering from this violent addiction, you sir are dealing with a devil, cunning baffling and patient. I am recovering from drug and alcohol addiction. You have my complete support in your coming to decision regarding how you proceed. smoking is not a moral problem it is a physical and emotional addiction, that can be treated. Good Luck

17. boris bubbanov

Much worse than lottery tickets, I think.

The cost of Skoal or Marlboros can keep a man's pocket's empty, the same as these tickets, but the tobacco products also offer the promise of Lousy Health in the second half of your life and the tickets don't do that. I know the cancer and all that seems awful, but honestly, the thing that repelled me more was the idea of just being sick and unable to enjoy life much, for decades. To me, Death would be easier than that.

Besides, I know someone up in Virginia who won the lottery. What is the winning number if you are addicted to tobacco?

18. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    I took a behavior mod class in college and used smoking as my modification project. The idea is to not beat yourself up if you have a cigarette.
    As a matter of fact it was encouraged to reward yourself for doing good and making progress. I went from a pack a day to a pack a month fairly quickly and it got less and less. Finally I was sitting on a ridge elk hunting and I lit up. It was like my first cigarette.... Got dizzy and sick.... Last cigarette I ever had. I have zero desire every when I smell it...I should say it was 7 years to get there but for most of that time I was a pack a month if not less.
    You gotta quit.. You will slowly suffocate yourself to death. I watched both my parents slowly suffocate from COPD. NOT GOOD.
    GOOD LUCK!

19. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I quit smoking, I quit drinking. Now I spend the money on guitars. And coffee grinders.. ;)

20. d barham

d barham TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2018
    Halfway, MO
    Cold turkey 30 years ago. If I can do it, anybody can. You just need the right motivation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.