Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can't quit smoking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Sep 13, 2018.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    I have friend of mine, shes American and told me that its really rare that people somoke cigs in USA. Here in Europe i think we'are pure addicts. I have tried 3 times to quit it, longest time i wasnt smoking was 6 monyhs, i started to smoke again after 6 months again. What a shame, used some special pills made by Desmoxan . It worked really well however i been to local bar with friends and got drunk a bit and friend gave me cig, couldnt resist.

What a terrible addiction, this is worse than alcochol. Eww

2. DTBlues

DTBlues TDPRI Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Ontario
    It’s easy to quit smoking. I’ve done it hundreds of times.

It’s easy to quit drinking. I’ve done it a thousand times

3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I don't know. Totally different withdraw symptoms. Alcohol withdraw can kill you. Nictotine withdraw just makes you want to kill.

4. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Jokes aside, there are still lots of smokers in the US. I'm one. I tried the vapor thing and I couldn't stand it. It made me cough, and it made my throat sore.

kuvash, Chunkocaster and alnicopu like this.
  5. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2010
    Earth
    I smoked for over 20 years. Attempted to quit several times. The last time I quit was 4 or 5 years ago and this time I'm not going back. For me it has been a long, difficult process. Overall, being healthy, being able to sing, being able to be physically active and saving money were the motivators that finally allowed me to quit. That's all I got.

privatesalt, farmcaster, Loco and 3 others like this.
  6. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jun 3, 2016
    Chicago, Illinois
    I chew nicotine gum all day long.

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Try vaping. The cig-a-likes are a bit rubbish, but the direct to lung type setups that run from an 18650 battery do the job.
    You'll still be hooked on nicotine, but no smoke. Many different flavours, including burnt leaf. Try a menthol or eucalyptus flavour. There's even doughnut flavour ( Mmmm. Doughnuts ).
    I tried pills, patches, sublingual, gum. Only the vape worked. You can then reduce the nicotine.
    Go for 70/30 VG/PG to avoid rough throat. Start on 12mg nicotine and gradually reduce it.

I still vape on low nicotine. One vape device has a cake flavour, another has a fruit flavour.

For the cost of a couple of packets, try it.

8. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    Band Name Alert: Can't Quit Smoking

9. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I'm vaping too, and had to try different devices to get where I'm at. I stopped smoking four years ago. I'm never going back to tobacco...I hope.

I know its not easy. I think of the good things. No smelly clothes,or car. No nasty ashtrays etc. Good Luck.

Alamo likes this.
  10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    Yeah, I don't know anyone who smokes. A couple friends and relatives decades ago.

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    I hope you do quit. I promise you it will be the greatest gift you will give yourself. I quit at 36.

I had promised my mother I would quit when she did. I watched her die drowning in her own lung fluid from Emphysema. Not trying to be a A$$ here its just that it does kill people and if you want to quit you really should; and yes it is hard. For years I would catch myself reaching for my shirt pocket out of habit. Good luck.

12. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I suck on nicotine lozenges all day long. They cost less than cigarettes, have no ill health effects, and feed my nicotine addiction. According to a study in The Lancet (British medical journal), there's no reason to stop using them. So, I keep sucking on them and don't even try to quit.

The hardest part was breaking the habit of having a cigarette in my hand. Once I got past that, it was relatively easy.

kuvash likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I hear/empathize with you!
    I started at 21, and quit hard at 32.
    My wife got lung cancer and it took her, at age 44.
    I stayed away from tobacco till I was 40, then I started again, and quit for good (I hope) when I was 46.
    I have been smoke free for 15 years.
    I wish you luck!

14. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Six months is no small feat! See if you can do it again?

Yeah, hittin' the bars was my Achilles heel until they outlawed smoking in bars here. Then it was much easier to quit because it's a huge ordeal to save your seat while you go outside to smoke. Also the bars don't have second hand smoke anymore, which is good for everyone.

After a coffee is another habitual time for smokers to light up. That one was hard for me to ditch too, but I just changed enough of those old habits (drink coffee in a different room, go for a walk instead of lighting up, etc.) that I was able to go cold turkey back in 2012 or so.

Recently a friend (who never used to smoke!) offered me a cig after we left a bar and I've been a non-smoker so long now I found myself surprised that I was a little repulsed by the idea.

Think of all the money you will save not buying cigs! You can get another telecaster! :D

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Today in North America, it's a class thing. I don't know anybody who is middle class that smokes, but it's more common if you're working class.

16. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    I guess i need to stop drinking beer. It always makes me wanna smoke. Withour cigs i used to do sports, running, pushups, weightlifting. Now i cant because of these , I might try Nicorette or other stuff again. What a shame, i hate this kind of addiction . Should save up money for amp too, Cigs cost here lik 4 $ USD. What a wallet stealer addiction

Need to losse my small belly and be fit again. More money more gear right?

Balou, voodoostation and LocoTex like this.
  17. DTBlues

DTBlues TDPRI Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Ontario
    $17 a pack in good old Ontario!!

kingofdogs1950 and P Thought like this.
  18. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I started vaping in February of last year. Haven't had a cigarette since, after smoking for 50 years.

It might not work for you, but it's worth a try. I never thought I'd be able to kick those Marlboro reds.

- D

voodoostation likes this.
  19. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    i should preface this by saying that neither my wife, nor i smoke...we were just in europe for 2 months... we were floored by the number of people who smoke... both young and old... i used to joke that i need a cig and surely enough someone near me would light up...

what pisses me off more than anything is the way smokers just throw their cig butts everywhere... smokers - the world is not your f$%king ashtray !!

to the OP... good luck quitting, you can do it... and lastly, any 'friend' of yours who knows you are trying to quit and offers you a cig while out drinking isn t really a good friend...

cigarman513, don71 and Loco like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.