Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can't find the thread truss rods

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mgt280y, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mgt280y

mgt280y TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2018
    England
    Right finally going to stop putting off building my first neck.
    Want to do a 2 piece with 2 way rod headstock adjustment.
    Sure I saw a thread on here showing 2 bits being used a straight cut then a rounded bottom one to go past the nut into the headstock but can't find the thread.
    While I'm asking does anyone know how far past the nut I need to go so when the headstock is thinned out it give a nice finished access hole?

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I posted to some of that but am at work now and can't deep dive for the info you need. But I'll get it for you tonight. I have pics that show just where to rout it to.
    What truss rod are you using?

Cheers,
    Rex

3. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson

4. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    Rather than routing out for an access channel to the truss rod nut, I drill it. The following method results in a clean drill hole:
    1. route the truss rod channel... 1/4" wide up to the head end which takes 5/16" and slightly deeper
    2. remove material on the headstock to achieve desired thickness... you can either slice it off with a band saw or rout it off, leaving a square angle at about the point you will want to curve up
    3. Using 3/8"-1/4" bit, drill in to meet the truss rod channel so the hex wrench can be inserted into the nut (green)
    4. install the fingerboard
    5. remove the material from the squared off point to the desired curve (red line)

[​IMG]

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    What kind of drill bit and what kind of drill are you using. My experience in trying to drill those holes freehand hasn't been all that successful on one piece necks. The top of the wood blows out.

6. mgt280y

mgt280y TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2018
    England
    Thank you both for suggestions routing looks straight forward but I'll probably give both a go at some point

7. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa

It's a long and skinny bit... like a foot long. You can't do it with a standard length bit. I should have mentioned that in the post.

8. mgt280y

mgt280y TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2018
    England
    right managed to mess the first one up I think unless anyone can come up with a way to "style" it out for that special custom look lol

Was all going well till I realized that I used the wrong router bit for the adjustment end straight cut rather than cove and I think I may have gone a bit deep and a bit too long so all in all completely wrong basically opps

Any ideas for a fix or is this neck destined for the log burner

20180213_000552489_iOS.jpg 20180213_000559793_iOS.jpg

9. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    One possibility: Take the whole head down to the depth of the routed channel, fit & glue on a new block, re-shape headstock and re-route rod adjust port. Thin headstock to spec and make transition ramp. Use contrasting wood and make it a design feature.

R. Stratenstein likes this.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yeah, that #3 is the bugger. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.