Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Cant do triplet strumming !

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by mikhett, Jan 10, 2017 at 3:32 PM.

1. mikhett

mikhett TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2007
    jackson nj
    Ok,Im self taught been playing about 5 years for the life of me I cant do fast triplet strumming without dropping the pick! I cant play the ALL MY LOVING rhythm part which is frustrating as its simple chord changes.Ive never had a lesson.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Practice daily, set up a metronome and start slow

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I'd guess you are tensing up as you try to go faster. bearing down will slow you down, and cause you to drop the pick.

As waparker4 says, you need to slow way down to speed way up. Maybe get the slowdowner so you can play along with the original song, at pitch, just at a slower speed. That might help you keep the "feel" of the rhythm better than a metronome (don't get me wrong, I heartily endorse metronomes).

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    With strumming, especially anything in 3 or triplets, all strums are not created equal. You have rhythmic accent points that serve as pulse markers, if that makes any sense.

ex) DOWN - up - down - UP - down - up

Try to emphasize only the bold strokes by tightening your grip on the pick. It's nothing extreme, just a subtle emphasis to help define the downbeat and/or important rhythmic subdivisions. If your grip on the pick stays constantly tight, you end up striking every down- and up-stroke at equal volume. That creates an unmusical groove.

Eventually, for faster triplet strumming, you can begin to think of it as just emphasized down and up strokes, with the hand filling in the rhythmic space inbetween.

VWAmTele, demon and mitchfinck like this.
  6. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    If you're counting or using a metronome try "One-and-a Two-and-a Three-and-a Four-and-a" with the bolds (on the beat) as the accent as our friendly neighbourhood @stringslinger said. That's how I learned when I started out. Give it a try, let us know what works.

7. Rayner

Rayner Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2015
    Somerset England
    I struggled with this same thing for a while, when I got really frustrated with it, trying to slow it down etc etc I got to the point where I wondered if I'd ever be able to do it my tutor told me something that I didn't think I'd hear him say..... "just leave it and come back to it in a month or so time, unless you've got to learn it for a gig on Saturday night who cares?"

I didn't get it in a months time but I tried a different song and without actually noticing I was playing the exact rhythm I was struggling with. Sometimes I think it's genuinely just us telling ourselves we find something hard that makes it hard. When I tried to learn my favourite solo, the solo to Eagles - One of these nights I found it incredibly difficult, I think the reason was because I hold it in such high esteem and Don Felder is one of my guitar heros that I subconsciously told myself it'd be really hard to play. When I play it now without agonising over it, is play it easily.

That might be terrible advice to some people but it works for me, whenever I can't get something down after a while I just leave it, move on and come back later, it's always easier every time.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 5:16 PM
    Axis29 likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I remember struggling with it as well, but once you get it, you have it forever. Keep on practicing, it will connect. Maybe try a simple YouTube vid for help. The above suggestions are all good ones. Slow down, accent one of the notes in a set to keep the timing going. I can't remember my first triplet song I learned, but it seems like it was an old Beatles tune of some sort.

Good luck and keep at it.

Axis29 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.