Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can't Decide My First Tele, Help!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by tyohars, Oct 31, 2018.

Which One Should I Get?

1. Squier Classic Vibe

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Squier Cabronita VM Bigsby

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Squier Cabronita VM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fender MIM

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tyohars

tyohars TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Jakarta
    Hi, new to guitar playing here. Decide to have Telecaster so I join here. I'm not in rush to bought my first electric guitar as I'm still save some money. So my price range is about 200 to 500 USD. Within that price range, I found 5 guitars: Squier Cabronita w/ Bigsby, w/out Bigsby (both new, around 260 USD), CV 50's (new, about 350 USD, used 300 USD), or MIM (used for 450 USD, new 500 USD). To be honest, I really love the twangy sound of Telecaster. But, I like the look and price on Squier Cabronita most. Is it can produce the sound of classic Telecaster? Or, is it any one of those two can produce the sound? Which one should I bought for my first electric guitar? I recently learn to play guitar after played bass. Note, I don't mind to own Squiers if it's good.

2. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    If you want a "TELE" as opposed to a "tele", I would recommend either the Classic Vibe or MIM standard. Either will (via the single-coil neck pickup) give you all of the tones that make a tele a TELE. The Cabronitas are cool, but with the Gretsch-y pickup in the neck they will give you a whole different flavor.

Disclaimer: My first tele was a '75 Custom with the WRHB in the neck. I loved it even though it didn't give the classic telecaster bluesy tones from the neck pickup.

Piggy Stu and tyohars like this.
  3. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    Classic vibes are sweet

howardlo, Piggy Stu and tyohars like this.
  4. tyohars

tyohars TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Jakarta
    How about the Cabronita with Bigsby which have Tele bridge pickup. Actually, I'm sold from they have a same pickup with Fender but on that price point... I'm just afraid I can't get that Tele sound

5. tyohars

tyohars TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Jakarta
    I read there's 2 variations of CV with Alnico 3 and 5. Which one get the classic Tele sound best?

6. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    if you want the telecaster sound the cabronita is not that, it's a different and lovely beast, go with the made in mexico or the classic vibe, classic vibes are really loved over here :) have fun !

the alnico 3 are the vintage ones, the 5 are the more modern ones, but what you really need to do is to have them in your hands, you might not like something of one or the other, ;) rock on them a bit and grab yours :)

7. tyohars

tyohars TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Jakarta
    What about the Cabronita with Bigsby? It have a Tele bridge pickup. I really considering them because the price tho...

8. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    you wont-get that tele sound you're after the bigsby changes the tone somewhat, and it's not a really easy to manage thing, i wouldn't go that route for a first tele, get a "classic" one ;)

if price is a issue the classic vibe is great, you should really try one out ;)

howardlo likes this.
  9. tyohars

tyohars TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Jakarta
    I might get the CV or used MIM then. Are the MIM worth extra 100 USD? Or, the CV should enough for me? Or should I get used CV for less 50 USD? In my area the price is about 300 USD for used CV, 350 USD for new CV, 500 USD new MIM, and 450 USD used MIM

10. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    one is a fender one is a squier by fender :) but the only thing is to play and choose, generally i might say "yes" to your question, new/used is a gamble, if you can try it ok, if you can't try it buy new and be happy and make music

Cheers

11. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    The major difference (IMO) between the Squier CV and the MIM is the neck. The MIM has a somewhat more hand-filling neck with a matte finish and the Squier has a narrower neck with a gloss finish. I would suggest that if you have the chance to do so hold one of each to see which you find more comfortable.

Piggy Stu and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Don’t worry too much about the pickups now.

You won’t know for sure which types you prefer until you plug the guitar into YOUR amp and play YOUR kind of music, for a few weeks.

And you can always change them.

Yes, more money, but this is simply how it works. It takes time to “bond” with your guitar, and all of us here change pickups and other stuff all the time.

Remember:

These guitars will last you a LIFETIME.

So for me, my vote is the CV or MIM.

howardlo and Piggy Stu like this.
  13. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I had one, hated it. Neck pickup sounded muddy, the bridge pickup was an aural icepick, the bridge was crap, the Bigsby would not stay in tune, and it had no sustain.

I ended up taking the neck off (the only part of the guitar I liked) and using it on a partscaster. I sold the body.

14. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Choose none! Hold off till you gather up another $100 or so...then u can buy a used American and be way better off. "upgrading" your squier or mim may result in spending your way into a USA model without the real benefits!

15. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    +1 on either CV or mim

Both are great value for money!

howardlo likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Get a standard Tele layout -- you will know what makes a Tele a Tele. A bigsby and humbucker will be great to have but you will be wondering what a standard Tele sounds and feels like. So you will then have a need to buy a second guitar sooner rather than later.

What I'd do is first search for a good guitar tech in your area. Someone who can do fret levels and true setups not just change strings. Then search for a used, battered, and abused Tele that you like the looks of (scratches and dings add character). Take it to that guy and recondition it -- the playability will be as good as an MIA no matter what guitar you choose. A Squier Bullet or Affinity with a fret level and setup not on your list can gain this way too. My first Tele is an Affinity that I got as dismantled parts in a paper grocery bag for $20.

If you want to go with factory new, the Squier CV is a good choice, but still have that guy do a setup for you.

howardlo likes this.
  17. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Skip the pull & use telekenesis

18. tyohars

tyohars TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Jakarta
    Thanks for the input. I think, I might try some CV and used MIM. Not for MIA tho. I think, MIJ is the highest i will get. My P bass is an MIJ, so I don't want to buy MIA lol. I read the CV body made by pine, how's the weight compare to Alder/Ash/Basswood?

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Since you say you're new to guitar, I don't recommend a guitar with a Bigsby. They are often cantankerous and troublesome even for experienced players and techs. They are fun when they are working though, kind of like a Jaguar car.

Right now, I'd recommend the Squier CV over the new MIM Player series. Fender seems to have a few issues with this line that they need to get sorted out. A used MIM Standard would be a good choice as long as it's in good condition. Some of the other current MIM lines are really good but more expensive.

20. tyohars

tyohars TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Jakarta
    Thanks for the advice. There's 2 different CV in my area, both 50's. The difference is just like I mention earlier, alnico 3 (vintage blonde) vs alnico 5 (butterscotch blonde). The one with alnico 3 cheaper by almost 100 USD while the alnico 5 closed to used MIM standard price range. Is it any different? I'm thinking to get Squier CV, but, which one? Is it the spec same between 2? If it's and the only difference is just the pickup and color, I think I'd get the cheaper one, which is the vintage blonde with alnico 3. (Don't mind the color and pickup, as we can change the pickup later).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.