Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Canning Season, At Least Where I Live.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Any of you guys into canning? Pickles has been my specialty. I made 5-6 different varieties over the years, but I haven’t canned anything since 2009.

This year I got a hankering for ice water pickles, so I put up a batch the other night.(Recipe available upon request.) They will definitely put hair on your chest.

I have canned ketchup and hot sauce, all with mixed results. But pickles seems to be my forte.

What about you?

283D6CAA-D4AE-4421-B9EE-F8F3F6E7876B.jpeg 4F8F7104-2E28-46D2-818F-5ADF200505BB.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    DrPepper, gobi_grey, Stubee and 2 others like this.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Impressive!

My wife is the canner in the family (pickled green beans, peaches and pears, etc...) but we've been too busy this summer.

We've got an apricot tree that's gone ape-**** this summer. I'm drying a load of apricots in the food dehydrator right now, but the tree is producing too many and I can't keep up.

2blue2, Nickadermis and Stringbanger like this.

3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    We have a cellar full already. Pickles, Peppers, Peach preserves, Salsa.................anything and everything. At least I won’t starve:D

DrPepper and Stringbanger like this.

4. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    Oh jeez, here we go... So far this week I've done 5 pints of tomato sauce, 5 pints and a quart of dill pickles, 3 pints of salsa, and right now (literally) I have ketchup working. Will still make bread & butter pickles, probably dilly beans, pickled zucchini, and maybe beets. The garden doesn't stop, even in an off year.

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I've been wanting to can but I have no garden. The least I could do is make some ketchup like my grandma did with the cheap homegrown tomatoes around here. My sister in law gives us everything else...pickles, beans, fruit. But a pan fried, cooked to hell, smashed flat with too much salt burger with grandma's ketchup would be heaven..

6. Stringbanger

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Ironically, this recipe comes from a Canadian company. But, it tastes like a sweet and sour Pennsylvania Dutch pickle. There is no copyright on the book. My guess is c. 1954-1957.

D3B564E6-E597-49D3-BBBF-DC626764F28C.jpeg

Here is the simple recipe:

5E1FEB39-6400-4807-96AA-AE24740C8CC2.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    2blue2 and BigDaddyLH like this.

7. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    1533863862159.jpg 1533863869318.jpg Salsa, pickles, tomato sauce...

Attached Files:

DrPepper, 2blue2, gobi_grey and 3 others like this.

8. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    I haven't done it in years. But I know how. Mom and Dad would put up about 300 quarts of tomatoes. Pickled banana peppers and something my Mom called Cumber pickles. We blanched and froze bell peppers, corn, and then froze blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and about 60 (yep 60) raw apple pies. We froze blanched green beans also. Yum. It's a bit of work but worth it. We all learned as kids in my family and had to help out.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    My folks used to can, and I'd help back then, what seemed like a couple hundred jars. So I know how to do it but haven't in years.

My only canning today is beer. Five gallons at a time into bottles. ...Just as useful when SHTF. :eek:

MisterZ, DrPepper, 2blue2 and 3 others like this.

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    We used to can pickles and tomato stuff when I grew a garden but it’s been a long time. We also did mulberry and other preserves.

I did stretch myself this year a tiny bit. I’m the main cook and enjoy it, but the canning was mostly my wife. I miss having homemade jam. A friend gave us some strawberry freezer jam, and as I love that stuff and knew the supply was finite, I looked up how to do it. Got what I needed and did a quick 4#. Man, it is good and so easy. I think I’ll do some blueberry freezer jam in a week because that is my favorite fruit preserve. IMG_8352.JPG

DrPepper, 2blue2, dented and 2 others like this.

11. Stringbanger

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Couple hundred! That’s insane!

12. Stringbanger

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Homemade ketchup on fried eggplant? You will think you died and went to heaven!
    This is your grandmother’s recipe from the Bernardin book I posted earlier:

B22FE874-A440-4945-A463-6AFA77CD16AB.jpeg
    FCDCEDF1-00D8-45B6-BE0A-20C7A5876B65.jpeg

Sorry about the weird angles. Just flip ‘em.:eek:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    DrPepper, Stubee and william tele like this.

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks Stringy! Looks right to me!

Stringbanger likes this.

14. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    Canned Goods, Greg Brown:

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Is Bernardin not marketed in the US? They are still going strong in Canada.

16. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

Aug 12, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    I love this time of year. All summer the garden looks like its about to give you vegetables, then all of a sudden everything is ripe at once. Its been a good year here in Pittsburgh, except no figs this year. We are doing pickles this weekend. We have a ton of cukes coming in, and our favorite farmer is giving us a bushel on Saturday for five bucks. Tomato sauce and salsa probably next week.

Stubee, Stringbanger and 2blue2 like this.

17. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I usually do but I decided to take it easy this year. Hell I've still got salsa from 2014. Prolly no good now though. I did bottle up some mint extract, elderberry extract and elderberry syrup and have been freezing maters. Still have green beans frozen from last year. For some reason this glitched out and posted before I was done which is why it is edited. Ok, now it's done.

Stubee and Stringbanger like this.

18. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Now I'm missing Grandma's ketchup, and Grandma too going to go call her now.

Stringbanger and william tele like this.

19. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Great to se we Aussies are not the only ones to keep up this tradition.
    we do apricots, peaches , mainly fruits and I'm glad to see this no waste tradition is still alive. 'on ya Mate.;)

Stringbanger likes this.

20. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    I've 75 tomato plants that are starting to ripen. There will be canning.

Stringbanger likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.