Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Canadian Built Amps

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by canadiangear, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    I have had two Traynors and struck out with both.....a 1972 Guitarmate that I tweaked to taste but it was just too clean....I didn't like the OD tone. Beautiful cleans, verb, and trem though.
    Next up was a newer Ironhorse head. Didn't like any of the modes. None. Cleans were way uninspiring and the dirt was too dark and bassy.
    I still want to try a YBA head.
    Phaez amps get mixed reviews. But man they sure look cool.

2. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2010
    Winnipeg

3. percy

percy TDPRI Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Hamilton ontario
    Garnet Gnome.....I got it from a pawn shop that never has anything at low prices....I do not think they knew what they had....paid 60.00 Canadian....I spent more money on the new 10 inch ware house speaker that the amp....

before and after pics

20160913_120412.jpg 20170317_125752.jpg

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I actually love the Ironhorse. Granted, I use a number of pedals, I've always been fairly impressed with both its cleans and its dirt. Sounds especially good with my Harmony and my Rickenbacker. One man's treasure is another's trash.
    I also have a TS-50 solid state guitar combo from 1979. It's actually pretty awesome, by far the best solid state drive I've ever experienced in an amp. I mostly use it for fuzzed out bass recording.

6. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    Being a Guess Who fan, I always kept my eyes open for a Garnet. I haven't run across one in the States or Australia.

I do own a Trinity 18, fantastic amp!

7. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2013
    Quebec
    Pine Electronics Products Company (Pepco) out of Montreal, 60s and early 70s. Made by Saul Pinchuk out of an electronics store in Montreal. Like Garnet and KEIL, they were often "stencil" amps (similar models differently branded for customer orders.) You'll find them branded Pine, Mansfield, Paul, Supreme, Ford, Riviera, and other names.

A lot of the early ones from the mid-60s (small 5-watt Paul, Ford or Supreme combos) are cheap widowmakers and not worth your time.

By the late 60s, Pine was making excellent near-clones of Deluxes and other models that rivalled Garnets of the same period. The 725 head (branded Pine, Riviera, Mansfield, etc) is a point to point amp with good components, all p2p wiring, and solid transformers. I own a 50-watt 725 with a Mansfield logo, which I A/Bed with a couple of SF Fender Bassmans, and the Pine sounded the same. Got it almost free from a friend -- who thought it was a Garnet stencil.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.