Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can you thin out regular old superglue?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Tdel10, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2016
    Wheeling WV
    Ethyl cyanoacrylate are the ingredients on the bottle. Brand is DAP rapid fuse. Can it be thinned with something? Water? Acetone? Denatured alcohol?

I'm not just going to start mixing stuff together, so off to Google I go. Just thought I'd ask you geniuses here first!

Ran out of the thin stuff, need to do one simple little thing but I know whatll happen if I just put a drop of gel on there. Need it to wick and not end up on the finish.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Well, water'll make it cure instantly into a whitish mess.

Don't ask how I know that...

3. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2016
    Wheeling WV
    I kinda figured that would be the case

4. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    PS I've read that you can thin it with acetone....

Tdel10 likes this.

5. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Acetone aka nail varnish remover is a thinner. Raid the missus' makeup but don't try the lipstick and blusher (or don't let her catch you...:eek:)

I_build_my_own likes this.

6. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

I try once with aceton, do not use the one that women use for nail color removing as it has oil in, anyway I found that CA glue gets thinner but loses its bonding characteristics.
    It was easier for me to separate things I glue with that glue.

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yep. What I read is that the thin stuff is a smaller molecule and the thick stuff is a bigger molecule, and if you thin the big molecules with acetone, you end up with less glue on the piece once the acetone flashes off.

nickhofen likes this.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    buy some water thin CA and mix the two... as CA gets older the time it takes to cure increases, but once it does it's as strong as when new.. It just takes longer to cure to full strength..

Ron Kirn

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.