Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Can you say, "low action at the nut?"

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by flyingbanana, Nov 27, 2012.

1. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Yes....someone likes their action low. :cool:

Gives new meaning to the zero fret thing...

Attached Files:

2. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

I like my action low at the nut also. Makes the whole guitar play smoother. Unless I have a guitar that I set up for slide, low is the way to go.

3. teleup

teleup Tele-Holic

looks like someone plowed the slots to the nub!
    are the strings resting on the fret???

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 20721

20721 Former Member

I like mine as low as possible. Is there a rule of thumb here? I've always done the "one-half string diameter" rule, and it works fine, but I'd appreciate knowing what others do.

6. flyingbanana

The strings are a ticks rump off of the frets...and not much higher down at the saddles. Those frets aren't worn...they are new 6100's. Pic must be deceiving.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

I cut a square from the yellow pages of a phone book about 2.5 " x 2.5 " then I fold that piece of paper in half, then fold it again. I file the nut so that when you're fretting in front of the third, the paper will pass under the string at the first fret with the slightest drag, not enough to lift the string, just enough you can feel a slight tug on the paper as it slides under the string. Repeat across the nut and the nut will also be radiused to the first fret. Usually when you do this, there will be no sharp notes played close to the nut.

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

After Mellecaster sets up my guitars, the action at the first fret is about .015" - .020".

9. flyingbanana

Yeah....I appreciate low action, but my personal preference is that it be a bit higher than normal. I could prob slide the front cover of a yellowpage book underneath mine. But you know what they say...set her up like they like it.

On the neck in the pic the strings are prob the thickness of a single page above the frets...then I dial in the truss rod for a hair more of relief at the first fret. Then I had to flatten out the neck because even that was to high for the owner. lol

10. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Nut action is critical. To want it high, you must be willing to accept sharp notes in the first 5 frets. I think four thicknesses of a yellow page could be a little much, but if it works, it's cool. I like a "tick's rump" off the first fret when the string is fretted at the third fret, myself.

11. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

When I set up my guitars, I get them pretty low. I want to be able to fret the first fret just by the weight of my fingers. And I also try to slot them so that all string take the same pressure to fret. Never actually measured, but its low.

12. flyingbanana

Do you level and dress your own frets Colt? What about fall away on the last 6 or 8 frets?

13. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Can easily be slightly shimmed up with hard material of ur choice!

14. savvy

savvy Tele-Meister

I also like mine low, I use a ciggy paper (gnats ****) over first fret whilst fretting the 3rd.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

The reason I use the method of folding the paper the second time is this I believe results in about .002 clearance, if I remember correctly. I used to set them lower, but if you set them as low as you can go, in a short time with even a little wear on the nut, you start having buzzing issues.

16. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

I set mine approx .008-.015 little to big. I have a gauge. Money well spent. Eyeball=good. Gauge=wonderful.

17. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, I level and dress my own frets. I add a litte fall away on the end of the neck.

18. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Tele-Meister

The traditional method is to fret the string at the third fret, and file the nut such that it barely clears the first fret. I don't measure it...just check it by feel...it should take very slight pressure to fret the first fret.

19. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Works for me too!

20. flyingbanana

Good to know Colt. What's your method for making sure the neck is perfectly straight before leveling the frets? Do you use that tool from StewMac?

21. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

I sometimes go, "Bit more... bit more.... bit m."

AH, NUTS! :mad:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.