Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Can you lube a Strat tremolo?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by semitone, Jan 28, 2007.

1. semitone

semitone TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    I can't help thinking it would stay in tune better if you did. I'd guess you'd put lubricating stuff where the springs go into the block, and in the string holes, and on the pivot screws.

Have you done it? If I try it, can you suggest a lubricant that's safe for the finish?

Thanks!

2. Loco

Loco Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2003
    Dorset, England
    I only put a thin film of 3-In-One on the top of each saddle, every string change. The only other thing I do, is use a minute smear of Nut Sauce in the nut slots and string trees - you really shouldn't need to put lubricant anywhere else.

I did once lube the springs on a cheapo S copy to stop them creaking, but so far have never found it necessary to do this on a real Strat.

3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    re lube

Nut sauce is fine but you can use other things too.
    For years I used vaseline mixed with some pencil lead, can be messy but it works great.
    I got a tube of some thick oil that has teflon in it from Radio Shack it works real well for the nut and saddles and I put a little around the mounting screws on vintage style trem bridges.
    Chapstick works great too for the nut.
    No matter what you use though you need to have a well cut nut in the first place.
    I've never heard of anyone oiling the springs, though I have seen people put a small piece of foam under them to reduce any noise, I've never tried it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2004
    Pgh,Pa
    I've always used WD-40, not only as a lubricant but also a preservative. I put some on a Q-Tip and lightly wipe the saddles, springs and bridge parts.

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    re WD40 and oil

I'm sure if you use it lightly as Sarge mentioned then WD40 or oil would be ok, but I wouldn't want to get it into the wood or finish for any prolonged period of time.

7. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use a very soft pencil for the nut only. Never needed anything else...

BBB.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.