Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can we talk about frets? Help me understand.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jackinjax, May 29, 2017.

1. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    U must be HIGH! Oh yes, i understand!

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Wide or narrow don't make me no never mind, as long as they're pretty tall!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

3. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    In 40 years of refretting guitars, i have always offered my customers several choices of fret size-BUT BE CAREFUL! You may find it a mistake offering the wrong size fret to many customers. Many country players prefer a vintage style fret, & many metal-heads require a big fret as intonation isnt as critical to them!!

jackinjax likes this.

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    It's my first Tele from about ten years ago, got it real cheap on a going-out-of-business sale. Took me about a week to adjust the finger pressure.

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    It's an interesting debate, but I would say that if you are after better intonation, fret size is way down the list of things to worry about. Frets are what gets in the way of perfectly intonated notes!

6. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Meister

+1 on the Earvana nut.

7. thomo5150

thomo5150 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2009
    Perth
    We put Medium / Jumbo's per customers request in this Telecaster Custom. Radius fret board to 7.5"/10"/12". He likes them for bending..

Attached Files:

8. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Skinny frets wear out my strings in just a few hours.

9. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    I find I need to pick harder, the shorter the string is to attain the same volume, and because I'm picking harder, I need to press the strings down better so they don't slip or flat out. Nothing sucks like missing a note in a solo cause the string didn't ring out. Always wanted to try a scalloped fretboard just to see if were compatible.

10. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    its easier to replace strings than frets. you'd likely prefer strings wearing to the alternative.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.