Can we get a normal horse race ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, May 18, 2019.

1. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I had a gig in New Hampshire and stopped at Seabrook and played a "place" bet on a longshot and won!

$5 place on Everfast = $80.

Capture.JPG

2. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Not exactly. The Preakness at Pimlico is still the second most attended horse race in the US. It had it's highest attendance ever in 2017.

The facilities are badly in need of repair, but the owner of both Pimlico and Laurel is playing it cautiously. State law currently requires the race to be held at Pimlico, but the one race isn't enough to justify him or anyone else making the investment to renovate it.

If you're going to break the tradition of holding Preakness at Pimlico, then it could jeopardize the Triple Crown entirely. You could see Preakness moving out-of-state altogether.

String Tree and boris bubbanov like this.
  3. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Teleterr likes this.
  4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was :lol: and rooting hard for the riderless horse:cool:

I desperately wanted to see what would ensue if that horse won.

The whole thing is such a joke IMHO that it would have seemed fitting.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm all for getting away from the whips, if for no other reason than it offends so many spectators.

But I am trying to imagine being a thoroughbred race horse, all primed up to run and I think having to carry Human Payload would be much more of a pain in the neck than something trivial like being whipped. Sometimes it looks to me like the horse has too many other things to concentrate on and isn't really mindful of the whip in the first place. You're running a full throttle, basically running for your life, and being jostled and checked by other horses - the horse doesn't remember being whipped and may only feel the discomfort of it after the race is over and the adrenaline has worn off. I represented a lot of jockeys, back in the day and they'd talk about it and seemed like the whip was proof to the owner/stakeholder/manager of the horse (or the bettors) that you had your heart in winning the race or finishing in the money, first. In a secondary way it was like a boxer having cold water dumped on his face between rounds, or a slap on the face by the trainer to get the contestant to refocus.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    william tele likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I would seem like, if the field was really well matched, that a riderless horse would have an insurmountable weight advantage. But although my law partners were often racehorse owners and spent time at the track, my job was to make sure somebody was manning the fort back at the office. Still, we had a lot of fundraisers and social events so I still saw one heck of a lot of "ordinary" races. And riders being shed was really not that unusual, I didn't find. But riderless horses never run clean racing lines and I never saw one cross the finish line first.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That whipping thing. I've been told some people pay good money for that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure the horse doesn't though.

String Tree and Teleterr like this.
  8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Seems like the Horses could be trained to run riderless, just like Grayhounds. A fake pack of Wolves chasing , instead of a fake Rabbit being chased.

9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I think we DID see a NORMAL Horse Race!

Teleterr and RodeoTex like this.
  10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

When I found out that the disqualified horse and the winning horse from Louisville were not participating in the race yesterday I decided to ignore the race.

I was really looking forward to seeing those horses again.

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Teleterr likes this.
  12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

They make Telecasters overseas, they can move the Race and still keep the name.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.