Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can someone identify this Tele body?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AGuyNamedJosh, Jul 7, 2017.

1. AGuyNamedJosh

AGuyNamedJosh TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Bartlesville, OK
    Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Telecaster off of Reverb.com for $850 shipped that was advertised as being a parts guitar with an American body and Mexican neck. After receiving the guitar I brought it in for a setup and asked my technician to take the neck off and take a picture of the serial # (which I read is typically on the inside of the neck joint, correct?). Anyways, he was unable to find a part number anywhere near that location, and instead found one inside the control port on a barcode (as pictured). The part number he found begins with an "M," which immediately made me think "Mexican" but I'm not familiar with parts guitars. Another indication that it may be Mexican is that it has a "Genuine Fender Parts" stamp underneath the neckplate, which perfectly matches the same stamp on the neck that is obviously Mexican as per the usual "Made In Mexico" on the headstock. Wondering if any of you better educated and experienced players would be able to verify whether or not the seller was right to claim this as an American body? And if it does turn out to be Mexican, did I get ripped off (given the price and the quality of pickups + parts listed in the listing's description on reverb)? I've included pictures taken by my tech, as well as a link to the listing of the guitar I purchased. Thanks guys!

IMG_9282.JPG IMG_9283.JPG IMG_9284.JPG IMG_9285.JPG

https://reverb.com/item/322072-cust...elecaster-olympic-white-high-end-parts-guitar

2. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    That is a MIM body, but why not get the full specs from the seller who seems to claim to have built it? For the price, he should be willing to provide all the details. I am a big fan of Lindy Fralin pickups, but he does do custom winds and several variations of each, so you might want to know exactly which ones are in there for future knowledge.

Looks like a nice instrument...enjoy it.

3. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo! Ad Free + Supporter

Jul 12, 2005
    east of East St Louis
    I've never seen that Fender Genuine Parts stamp on a Mexican body.

Well......after a bit of research, there ARE Mexican bodies with that exact stamp.

There is a return policy for purchases at Reverb, if you are in doubt, send it back

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

4. logankolarick

logankolarick Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    Tennessee
    I just bought a Am standard tele on reverb for $750, So the price seems like it was a little high to begin with. I would send it back as long as you didn't buy it "as is". The seller seems to have lied, and that's enough to send it back. That being said, If it plays good and sounds good, you might consider letting the fact that the wood was shaped by a machine in mexico vs being shaped by a machine in America go.

Dismalhead and soulman969 like this.

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    That is the stamp that Fender puts on the replacement bodies and necks they sell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    soulman969 likes this.

6. AGuyNamedJosh

Jun 27, 2017
    Bartlesville, OK
    Working on doing exactly that! Waiting for a response from the seller. Thanks!

7. AGuyNamedJosh

Jun 27, 2017
    Bartlesville, OK
    Thanks for the input!

8. AGuyNamedJosh

Jun 27, 2017
    Bartlesville, OK
    Right, I'm not one to typically get caught up in the "American over Mexican" nonsense, just figured if I paid for an American, I'd like to get what I paid for. I could get a Mexican standard for half the price (minus the upgraded parts). From our previous conversations, he seems to be a pretty standup guy. He even agreed to pay for some slight electronic work that ended up needing done upon its arrival. If I like the feel of it after I get it back from my technician, I may end up keeping it anyways. Thanks for your thoughts!

9. AGuyNamedJosh

Jun 27, 2017
    Bartlesville, OK

10. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

11. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    I just read the ad on reverb, except for the heading it doesn't say American neck or body, so I would assume the US custom means assembled in the US, nothing else. It doesn't say US neck or body.

12. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

You're right but the title wording and leaving off "MIM" for the body in the parts list (assuming it is MIM) all seems designed to allow or encourage a wrong assumption, or at best is disingenuous.

13. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I was under the impression ALL fender bodies are made in Mexico.

14. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Meister

I thought that all Fender body blanks were cut in the factory where they were made. The Corona plant also stamps much of its own hardwear, and cuts the pickguards on site.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.