Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can I use a DPDT switch for a PU selector?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SUGIZO, Nov 17, 2013.

1. SUGIZO

SUGIZO TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Paris
    Hello everyone!

I've a question about the switch wiring. In fact I got a Fender PS51 (well, it's a hybrid but has a tele headstock), I really don't like the rotary switch on it so I decide to change it with a toggle switch.:idea:

This is the diagram of the current wiring (It's a squier 51 version, but I think they are the same)

[​IMG]

I'd like just to change the selector part, keep all the thing else. An on-on-on mini toggle is ready (I'm not sure it's a DPDT or DP3T, but it has 6 terminals), also I drew a diagram for the switch like this:

[​IMG]

BUT someone told me, in my diagram, when the toggle is in the mid-position, none of the pickup works...:confused:

I need your helps! Thank you vey much!

Attached Files:

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    Whoever told you that neither pole is active in the middle position is mistaken. That's the whole purpose of an on-on-on switch.

6 solder lugs are correct for a DPDT switch. Each vertical column of 3 lugs in your diagram is for one pole. So that gives you two poles (the double pole part of DPDT).

The top and bottom lugs are the throws, and the center one is the common, or the pole. Top and bottom gives you two throws (the double throw part of DPDT).

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    If the switch is an on-on-on 3 position switch, and you follow the drawings you posted, the pickups will work properly. If it's a 2 position dpdt, or an on-off-on three position switch, you'll have problems.

4. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    As above, needs to be On-On-On. Many DPDT are On-Off-On, which of course won't work.

I did one with a mini toggle. Works fine.

[​IMG]

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah your diagram looks correct.

6. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Should be fine, but a regular LP 3-way toggle is much smoother to use. You could also hack out a hole with drill and chisel (or router, if you're anal) and mount a 90 degree LP toggle in the upper horn, like I did on my $99 Squier '51 :D

[​IMG]

and put a tone control in the control plate where the rotary switch was:

[​IMG]

7. SUGIZO

SUGIZO TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Paris
    Thank you guys! I have learned more from your replies. I'll do it immediately.:D

8. SUGIZO

SUGIZO TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Paris
    Thank you for your nice explanation, it's clear! Now I understand the meaning of these switches. :)

9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Another reason that an on-off-on DPDT toggle wouldn't work (or if you find a two-position on-on DPDT toggle) is that these switches are not "make-before-break." Because they disconnect one connection before they make the new connection, there would be a popping sound as you flip the switch if you use it for a pickup selector - which is why that big honking Switchcraft toggle switch became popular (it's make-before-break, with the middle position on). Now if you're using a DPDT on-on-on switch with the special middle position it will probably not have any popping issues since it's more or less a make-before-break switch (and be careful, it's not standard by any means, most DPDT's are going to be two-position on-on or on-off-on if they have three positions).

Also on the make-before-break theme - take a good look at a vintage three-position strat switch. The wiper is wide enough to contact two pickups at once as you sweep from one position to the next. I'm pretty sure the guitar gods of the sixties noticed this...;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.