Can I Run My Silverface Vibrochamp Through This?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by 985plowboy, May 13, 2019.

1. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Found a drip edge silverface bassman enclosure with two 15" speakers in it. $249.
    Can I run my mid 70's vibrochamp through this? Would it hurt anything?
    Would it sound any good?? IMG_20190513_121021.jpg IMG_20190513_121053.jpg IMG_20190513_121053.jpg

Attached Files:

Piggy Stu, FrontPU and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yup, and yup :D

You'll need an RCA to 1/4" speaker cable, not a plastic adapter.

My 2x12 tall Bassman cab is my favorite and has been my shop cabinet for years now.

Dan R and Paul G. like this.
  3. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

My understanding is that the amp was designed with 4 ohms in mind, and is fine with 8.

However, I'd wait for confirmation from others.

Sounds like that would be a fun set up to play!

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

total impedence is 4 (provided no one has messed with the wiring). It's fine for an original champ output transformer.

To OP. Do not use a guitar cable. Make sure it's a speaker cable with RCA adapter on one end.

RAWK.

5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

On the back of your Champ, the output impedance will be listed. I think it will be around 3.5 to 4 ohms. That will work fine with the cabinet, which is a 4 ohm cabinet. I'd say go for it! Your Champ will sound a lot BIGGER.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

That's what it says on the back, only they're being weird by also stating how many ohms each speaker has.

7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

It's a nice addition for Fender to specify what it was originally. Speakers can be wired in various ways for different impedences. The cab is ~50 some odd years old. It would be good to open it up and check the wiring and speakers before plugging it in to ANYTHING.

8. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Been there and done that... really makes the amp sound fantastic... fun times

985plowboy likes this.
  9. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I have almost that exact setup and it sounds great. I have a tall 2x15 cab from my '67 Bassman (it's a blackface, but probably one of the last ones before the switch to silverface that year). I had a speaker jack put in my silverface Vibro Champ. I regularly run it through the 2x15 or through a 4 ohm 2x12 cabinet. Both sound good.

985plowboy likes this.
  10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The little single ended Fenders that want to see a 3.2ohm load are one amp that I do not mismatch for any reason. Ommv.
    Fwiw, a small amp through a big cab with good speakers in it sounds magnificent....and bigger.
    +1 with whatzitman’s suggestion to find out what is in the cab and how it is wired before using it with any amp. You can check the impedance at the end of a speaker cable, but you still don’t know what speakers are in there. Unless the speakers inside it have some value, that cab is not worth anything close to $249. I have a Jan, 1967 2x 12 upright Fender Bassman cab that seemingly will not bring the value of the two original speakers in it......and those two November, 1966 Jense C12N’s are worth something to someone who has say a nice BFTR from the end of 1966 or from the first three months or so of 1967 IF they want to mKe the amp as original as possible. And...this cab is also a match for a Jan-March of ‘67 Bassman since that is what it was built for. No offers for it at all..... if it were not such a great shop cab, I would pull the speakers, sell them, and and turn the cab into a planter or something, right?

24 track, muscmp and robrob like this.
  11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

NEVER trust the impedance printed on the back of a used speaker cabinet!

the price seems low to me - which makes me suspicious about that's actually IN the cabinet.

First - plug a speaker cable into the cabinet and read the DC resistance with a multimeter. If it reads close to 3.2 ohms then yes, it has 4 ohms total impedance and is correct for a Champ.

But that's still no guarantee that the speakers are original. Or if they're replacements that they are any good. I *never* buy a speaker cabinet without opening the back and inspecting the speakers. They could be anything from the original "Special Design" Fender-labeled speakers to some cheapo hi-fi speakers.

If they won't let you look inside that's a good sign that the speakers are junk. Walk away.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

When I bought my current Fender small box 2x12 it had an 8 ohm 400w 15" PA speaker and a 16 ohm Celestion G12T75 in it.
    Sounded like crap, no wonder it was under $100.
    Had to give it a new baffle and speakers but it's a nice cab.
    AFAIK you can hardly give away a 2x15 Fender cab these days, but like Wally said, the speakers might be worth the $250.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

What makes a drip edge 2x15 worth more than $250?
    Was the Bassman 2x15 rare compared to the Dual Showman 2x15, or are they even different?
    Or do you mean that original speakers would bring the value above $250?
    Just asking because I don't know all the 15" Fender cabs very well, aside from being huge for the power handling and having a sound I don't generally like or want.
    I guess a player that likes their sound (or sounds depending on speakers) would educate themselves better on their variations.
    Or a tech that works on gear they don't prefer to use.

14. corliss1

Unless it's something odd (tone ring showman or a checkerboard Marshall) the bigger cabs almost have negative value right now due to how much space they take up.

Dan R, DHart and AlbertaGriff like this.
  15. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I like my old Fender 2x15. It has a bark that pleases me, and, being skinny and upright, doesn't take up much stage space while being HUGE and looking cool. But I don't usually take it out of the house because it's punishingly, herniatingly heavy. I don't think I could sell it if I wanted to, so it sits in my practice space and gets used semi-regularly. If I didn't have the head to go with it, I wouldn't buy a big cab like that. I'd buy an open-back 1x12 with a 4 ohm speaker, and 2 milk crates.

Flyboy likes this.
  16. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Most players usually have casters on those big cabs, and just roll them around.
    Al

radiocaster likes this.
  17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Update
    Howdy folks!!
    Plowboy the OP here.
    Went back to have another look.
    Pulled the back off the cab and looked inside. Nothing untoward.
    Original speakers with intact cones.
    All wiring seems legit.
    Cab is in overall C+ condition.

Shopkeeper says I can have it for $200 cash all in out the door.

Still thinking about it. I would not need to move it once I get it inside the house.
    I think it'd be cool looking.

hrstrat57, tonyj, King Creole and 2 others like this.
  18. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I'd go so far as to say the Les Paul Jr. you're planning on rocking "needs" it. So there! :)

985plowboy and muscmp like this.
  19. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i think i hear that champ all the way to socal! sounds like it will work for you. good luck.

play music!

985plowboy likes this.
  20. corliss1

do it :D

985plowboy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.