Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can I plug my Fender Champion 20 into

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by GoldDeluxe5E3, Jun 13, 2017.

1. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    Can I plug it into a 1x 12" speaker cabinet as long as I defeat the onboard speaker and the speaker in the separate cabinet is 8 ohms just like the onboard speaker?

If the answer is yes, is there a wiring scheme that will let me plug the other cabinet with a 1/4" plug and defeat the onboard speaker at the same time?

Thanks for all your help, fellas.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

2. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    I don't own one of those, but it doesn't look like it has a speaker output jack? I just checked the owner's manual and didn't see one.

If that is the case, and you can solder ok, you could make an adapter to connect to your existing speaker wires coming out of your amp. . Make that a female jack.

You would have to have wires and a male plug connected to the internal speaker.

When you want to use the internal speaker, just plug ite male into the jack.

When you want to use the external cab, use a speaker cable, and plug it into the jack.

If you need suggestions for Switchcraft part numbers or a sketch let me know.

3. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    Why not just get a Fender Champion 40? It has a 12" speaker. The Champion 100 has two 12" speakers. Just a few suggestions since I'm not too handy with soldering.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.

4. GoldDeluxe5E3

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    ...And this thread is sort of closed. I just ordered a Champion 40 open box at Guitbox Center. $158 with free shipping and no soldering.

Lake Placid Blue and Anode100 like this.

5. GoldDeluxe5E3

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    Incidentally, Lake Placid Blue, thanks for that refreshing smack in the face...

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal

7. GoldDeluxe5E3

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    Nice Gold Top, bro.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

8. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yeah, but you still have your 20 right? So your original question still stands.

10. GoldDeluxe5E3

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    NEWS FLASH! NOT SO FAST CLOSING THIS THREAD!
    The day after I posted the comment above I ordered a Champion 40 from Guitar Center, GC sent me an email canceling the order. Seems they advertise the open box Champion 40, but don't have them to sell.

So I kept shopping, and today, I took delivery of a used Champion 20 which I got for $39 plus nearly again as much for shipping. NAD. Sounds pretty darn good for what it is. I fired up my 5e3 clone with a loud loop and plugged into the Champion on the opposite side of the room to improvise against the loop.

No, the Champion 20 didn't sound as good as my mellifluous clone, but it sounded better than the Tech 21 Trademark 10 it replaced, and better than the old 90's Fender Ultra Chorus SS amp I used to suffer with. Sure, it sounds like a small amp, but the tones are serviceable and pretty authentic, even if they are a bit brittle.

I'm going through with the plan to plug it into a 12" speaker, and will post sound samples when I get it done.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

11. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You need a switching jack socket..... wire it into your internal speaker wiring so it cuts the internal speaker out when you plug in an extension cab.....

ext spkr2.JPG

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    SamC and GoldDeluxe5E3 like this.

12. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Musicians Friend has a 15% off on items over $149. Call them and you can have a NIB Champion 40 for $153.00. Deal ends today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.