Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can anyone educate me a bit about dulcimer?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 3fngrs, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I remember a friend had one back in the '70's at a pizza place we hung out at. She handed it to me and I had two Joni Mitchell songs down in no time. She (the friend, not Joni) was pretty impressed.

I used to tour as a sound person for a folk group centered around a hammered dulcimer. We played a lot of folk festivals and there were always a lot of the lap style ones around. Pretty easy for people to build and sell along with their other crafts.

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry TDPRI Member

May 30, 2017
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Agree on the 6 1/2 fret. I've played one off and on for a number of years. Original inspiration was "The Pacific Rim Dulcimer Album" as well as some LP's by Michael Rugg and Neal Hellman, who played at my university one time. Here's a pretty popular song I used to play with some friends, goes beyond the drone but is not all that complicated.

3fngrs, oldfish and RodeoTex like this.

3. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Thank you for that. Next payday, maybe. Might have to wait until after xmas.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.