Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Can a MacBook Pro be a digital amp?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by black_doug, Mar 25, 2013.

1. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I was wondering if anyone here has tried plugging into their computer through an interface, through DAW software like Logic or ProTools, and out to a DI and a PA? I plan on getting an interface anyway for recording direct to a MacBook Pro and it occurred to me that it might work in a live setting, using an amp modelling plug-in like Guitar Rig.

Would this work on stage, or is latency still a problem?

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    You don't need a DAW to do it, most of the software modelers can run on their own. I don't really have any significant latency issues with Guitar Rig or Scuffham S-Gear. There is also a foot controller available for Guitar Rig, so you could easily use that as a live rig.

3. nixdad

nixdad TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Now in Little Rock, AR
    Modeling for Jamming...

I run Peavey Revalver 3.5 through my drummers P.A. and audio workstation and he loves it; its a pretty fully-equipperd digital studio. He actually likes when I bring my laptop more than when I bring an amp or two.
    I can't decide, and besides it's just for fun, right?
    And I do it with a 10-year old Lenovo, no latency issues.:cool:

4. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Ask John McLaughlin. I don't know whether he still does this, but at one point his touring rig was a Mac and an interface.

5. black_doug

I remember seeing that on the Crossroads dvd. It didn't make sense at the time but now I get it.

6. denitronik

denitronik TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Quebec Canada
    I did a few shows (surf music) with a mac, an interface (Apogee Duet) and Logic 9 (using the pedal board insert) and it work very well. The duet as a low level output mode enabling you to plug directly into a guitar amp. I also had a Logidy pedal board (3 buttons and expression pedal) to control Logic.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Denmark, Maine

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Denmark, Maine

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I use mainstage a lot. it works just fine.

10. black_doug

I can't believe it! I got this used Mac on eBay last fall. It came with Logic and now I just realized that MainStage 2 is already installed as well. I didn't even know about Mainstage before now. All I need is an interface.

11. cbtd

cbtd Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2009
    Chicago
    There is this video on NIN using Mainstage. A bit of a marketing piece, but it is interesting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.