Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

can a Deluxe Reverb "compete" with a Bassman, volume-wise?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ruger9, Apr 18, 2017.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ

Ya' think? Sorry, Captain Obvious, I think everyone here understands that. I was just asking if a 22W 1x12 can hang with a 60W 4x12 in a band situation, with a drummer, playing rock, unmic'ed.

I've never heard of such things?!?! What be these magic accessories of great tonal godliness? ;)

What are these "knobs" of which you speak? :p

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    So what kind of music are you playing? I have used a Deluxe Reverb for years and my buddy has a Super Reverb, of course his amp is louder than mine, but we manage the amp levels , I usually have to tell him to turn up! The mix of the two amps works for the type music we play, in bigger rooms we mike both amps.

3. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Blackberry Smoke, old Van Halen, AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Led Zep, everything else is "less bombastic" lol (Georgia Satellites, Brian Setzer, SRV, etc...)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I think it should work as long as everyone cooperates on the overall level. I've never played through a Suspersonic, but with the efficient speaker it should be a loud amp.

And if your band mikes the amps then it definitely would work.

6. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Generally speaking, the 50 Watt with a 4x10" is going to "fill the room". The 22 Watt with a single 12" speaker is going to "cut through the room".

IMO... they will not compete for space, actually they will likely compliment each other. As for the wattage... it's a non issue unless clean headroom is required which according to the OP is not the case. In my own experience.... I have an easier time hearing the 1x12" smaller amps on stage than I do the bigger amps.... due to the fact that they tend to be more focused.

Archtop Bill likes this.

7. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    As others have said, it's not really a contest. I played with a guy with one of those when i had a deluxe and he continually kept burying me. So I brought my Marshall half stack with 100 watts the next time and buried him. You can play that game if you want but it's a waste of time. It was fun winning though. But we eventually agreed to just play at similar volumes.

8. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Meister

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    Twice the watts doesn't equal twice the volume. These amps should play nice with each other. I have used my SCx2 (15 watts) along side a SF Pro Reverb (40 watts) and was comfortable in the mix.

9. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    The watts difference in this case is negligible (when playing overdriven). The speakers will dictate both actual volume (sensitivity etc.) and perceived volume (cab, number and size of speakers).

10. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    It should work fine, assuming the guy with the 4x10 doesn't crank it. Assuming you're both at reasonably loud levels, I'm guessing you would have more edge in your sound, would be running a bit higher on the volume dial than the other guy to keep up. So it depends on how clean you want to be.
    MD

11. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    It depends on how loud the 4x10 is, and how loud the other band members have to play to keep up with the cranked 4x10. I had the same problem with a second guitar who had to be louder than anyone else in the band at all times.
    So everyone else turns up, too. I had a Peavey Classic 30, up all the way. It wasn't loud enough.
    I'm now in a band with more control over stage volume. Use a 22-watt DRRI and it works great.

12. MUSICAL HOBO

MUSICAL HOBO TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Astor,Florida

I think the real question might be, how load is your drummer????

telemnemonics likes this.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I'd say if you can keep up with the drummer and the bass player is appropriate volume, the other guitar player should not be "the problem" just because his amp has extra unneeded wattage.

Personally, I would be a little uncomfortable unmiked with a 22w amp, just because my hearing is shot and if I can't hear myself I can't really play, and I find a dual 6v6 amp loses clarity blowing at my ankles loud enough for full band in an excited state of play.
    If I have only a 1x12 and need to stand in front of it to hear myself, even on a riser, it can be limiting.
    Maybe just adding a second 1x12 to spread your sound out a little and not be a lazer beam surrounded by drums and bass?

But if your hearing is fine and nobody gets too excited in the heat of battle, YMMV.

keithb7 likes this.

14. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Well, I haven't played with him in many years- I guess I'll have to see if he "gets his tone" by turning up loud, or if he's using the Deville as a semi-clean platform for his TS (like I am with the Super-sonic).

And if there's still a bit of a difference- be it sheer volume, or just "room filling", perhaps I could get a 1x12 extension cab and put another very efficient speaker in it...

15. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    OK, you want it simple?

NO.

And a 4x10 won't just 'seem bigger'. It's actually louder.

16. Grux

Grux Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    LOL this is awesome because its true.

MUSICAL HOBO likes this.

17. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    A tweed Bassman can bury a Super Reverb in a band situation. In that case it's not the speaker array or power, it's the voicing. Tweeds are midrange heavy, right where the ear is most sensitive.

As far as your original question, the Deville can easily bury the Supersonic if the venue will let you turn it up far enough.

18. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    This statement is the most impactful thing I have read here today. I wholly agree. A dual 6V6 blasting at my ankles sucks in an excited 4 pc band. One step up to a 2x10 dual 6L6 makes all the difference to me. Much better.

Will your 22W Super Sonic still sound good, turned up in a band situation, with the other guitarist running a 4x10 Deville?
    I can tell you what I think. Others can tell you what they think. The best way is to get out there and try it yourself and see what develops.

Since it was asked here on a public forum for opinions: I'll say the 22W should be enough for a 4 pc band. Eventually the other player with the 4X10 may come to the realization that his amp is overkill, and barely off idle. He may choose to down size.
    Note: This could take until you're all 45+ years old.

Eventually everyone will come to the realization that louder is not better. Unless it's a vintage BF/SF Twin. They are bloody amazing at any volume.

Saying that, if the other guy's 4x10 were a vintage Tweed Bassman, BF/SF Super, or a Brown Concert, I'd say you should ditch your 22W Supersonic ASAP. You'll never be happy with it. :D

19. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Too late. :D

telemnemonics and keithb7 like this.

20. N8dogg85

N8dogg85 TDPRI Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    As a little food for thought & only explained to me recently. Everytime you double a valve amplifier's wattage you gain 3db of volume.

Essentially that means a 40ish watt Bassman will be 3db louder than the 22 watt Deluxe.

Ofcourse there are other contributing factors such as speaker efficiency, the number of speakers & clean headroom but it gives you an idea.

I use to own a Deville (very similiar to the Bassman) but now use a 68 Deluxe Reverb with a 75watt Celestion. I find that the Deluxe has lots of headroom & volume with the Celestion speaker & more than handles most of the larger venues as well as the Deville did (with a little more tube breakup ofcourse but that's exactly why I love it!).

21. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.