Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

can a Deluxe Reverb "compete" with a Bassman, volume-wise?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ruger9, Apr 18, 2017.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Just formed a new band with some old friends, 2 guitars. I'm running a Super-sonic 22 (I put "Deluxe Reverb" in the title, because it's the same power platform/same wattage) and he's running a Blues Deville 4x10 (I put "Bassman" in title because it's the same power platform/wattage/speakers)

Of course a 4x10 will move more air and likely sound "bigger", but my main concern is, can 22W pushing the 1x12 compete, volume-wise, with 50W pushing the 4x10s? We're doing classic rock, so we'll be overdriven 95% of the time, using OD pedals as necessary...

Assuming a un-miked gig, will I likely be buried by the 4x10? I could always buy a 1x12 or 2x12 extension cab and at that point I'm sure I would have no problem, but the less gear hauling the better....

Also, FWIW, I'm running a C-Rex (very efficient), and JJ's with a slightly hot bias, pulling all I can out of the 22W.

2. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I mean it just comes down to how loud the deville wants to run. He could, at any time, bury you if he wanted volume wise. But if you're running on 6 and he's running on 1.5, it would be fine.

Dismalhead and ecosse like this.

3. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Recently played a gig with our classic rock band. The other guitarist runs through an 80 watt, 2x12, Category 5 amp and I run through my 15 watt, 1x12, Vox AC15-HW1.
    Nothing mic'd.
    We blended perfectly.
    (we both use pedals, as needed)

Now, could he have cranked up the Cat 5 and buried me in the mix? Sure, I suppose.
    And then our keyboard player could've wound up his Hammond B3 and left us all buried in swirling sound waves. :lol:

Having a bigger amp that COULD be louder than everyone else doesn't mean it HAS to be.

4. I can't imagine running the deville much over 3-4 in a club these days... honestly that would be fairly loud. You do have a great speaker in your Supersonic to compete with the deville, but if he wanted to bury you, he more than likely could. Would that make no sense in a normal setting under control.

I actually had a DRRI that was fairly loud in the stock form... even gigged it outside once without an issue in a classic rock band....

I'd say if your buddy can keep under control, you shouldn't have an issue... the difference between 60 watts and 22 watts is not that much difference in volume. It's all about the speakers (SPL)...

Hang in there and give it a shot!

5. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Well, I know my SS22 is plenty loud enough- and that's with a LOUD drummer.... so yeah...

I wonder if he uses the clean channel+tubescreamer for his dirt, or the dirty channel on the Deville? (both amps' dirty channels are less loud than their clean channels)... I'll have to ask...

And yeah- not only are these guys good musicians/have been in umpteen bands, we all know everything has to balance.... and we're all old enough to know bette than to risk losing too much more of our hearing, lol.... but, if he gets his dirt by turning up the Deville, I may be in some trouble...

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    If your co-guitarist is a MUSICIAN and plays for the BAND you will be fine.If he isn't fire him and hire a more decent human being.

Flaneur, Grux, telemnemonics and 4 others like this.

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    The two amps that you're actually using can be played at much lower volumes than the two in your title. Non master-volume amps would have to be cranked up in order to get that edge-of-breakup bluesy tone that the bassman, for instance, is known for. So no, a DR can't really get as loud as a cranked bassman, but that's not an issue for you. With master volume and separate gain controls you can dial in a tone at a more reasonable stage volume with either amp.

Practically speaking I think the issue is going to be more of dispersion or projection, and where you need to be standing in order to hear the other player's amplifier (or your own for that matter). If you use a stand or tilt-back legs you can make quite a bit of difference, so play with the layout a bit.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    If your guitarist gets his dirt by running his Deville loud, he's gonna blow out the drummer... he'll blow out the audience.. you will be but a mini side casualty of tone.

edited to add:

That amp in my experience is painfully loud when it is still clean as a whistle.

My experiences with the amp are primarily (1) pain and (2) seeking shelter. :D :lol:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Silverface, ifallalot, Zaxxon and 2 others like this.

9. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    My SS22 does have tilt-back legs. And yes- it wasn't just the volume, but the "coverage", or "bigness" I was wondering about... and of course only for un-mic'ed gigs.... if mic'ing the amps, no issues.

10. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    It's up to your buddy. If he wants to be louder than you at the expense of the band sound, he can.
    I'd set your amp as loud as it goes without blowing your sound, and have him set his to match.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I think you should change the title. The two amps you are actually talking about and the two amps you listed are quite different. You'll get more helpful replies with the actual amps listed.

I'll just join the chorus noting that if he wants, the other guy can bury you. But that will probably get your band fired/not invited back due to outright volume.

Silverface likes this.

12. Yes, coverage will be fine, since both are open back, they will fill the room about the same.. the 4x10 will have more stage bigness but once you leave the stage a few feet it won't matter. Tilt backs are great for hearing yourself on stage and keeping the front of the house from hearing your amp quite so loudly. Also gives you a better idea of your overall sound. Aimed at your knees we tend to run the treble higher, at your ears, you can hear what your amp really sounds like!

ruger9 likes this.

13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I had a Deville when they first came out, then a Hot Rod Deville after that. I think they are 60 watts. But, if he gets his dirt from the amp, his dirt probably sucks. Go buy a Fulldrive 2, tell him to dial in his clean tone and use the pedal for the dirt. The whole guitar playing and music fan universe will thank you.

grolan1 likes this.

14. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Um, I may be mistaken but both of those units have "knobs" on them which control the "volume".

See if they work for you.

You're welcome.

Ripradiant, Silverface and xafinity like this.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Compete? No. Coexist? Yes. Let's all learn to coexist.

J Hog, Archtop Bill and Crawldaddy like this.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Put it on a chair, he may still bury you soundwise, but at least you tried.

Silverface likes this.

17. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Sorry, I guess I should have added the specifier "and still sound good" for those of you not familiar with getting the best out of a tube amp.

(hey, fight sarcasm with sarcasm, I always say)

18. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm gonna bury you in the coexisting competition. Consider yourself warned! I am here and so are you!!!!

Silverface and BlueCajun like this.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That should be on a bumper sticker.

Silverface and waparker4 like this.

20. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    I am familiar with tube amp operation.

I am also familiar with the fact that if you're gigging having appropriate volume and a good mix trumps everything else.

The evening is not a demonstration of your golden "tone", it's supposed to be music.

If necessary, I believe there are accessories which attenuate the volume while still giving a good drive. I am told there are others which help simulate the that sound as well.

Sometimes thoughtful use of the various "knobs" can also yield good results.

P

Silverface likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.