Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Camouflage and hunting

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm watching a movie called On the Ice, about two Native American boys unintentionally kill a third one. They were out on the ice to go seal hunting and were wearing white parkas. At first, I thought those were only worn by soldiers, not thinking that the seals would not be able to see them, I gather.

My real question concerns what non-snow hunters wear. Some wear camo and some have orange safety vests. Are some animals, but not others, not sensitive to that kind of color? Birds, yes/no, deer, yes/no?

My wife, a painter, participated in a conference a few years ago on camouflage. I was surprised to learn it has a very interesting history, especially with ships and tanks.

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Whitetail, color blind

3. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Some only wear orange because they have to. Regulations spell out when one has to wear it - and how much he or she has to wear. Around here... bow hunting = no orange. Rifle (deer season) = lots of orange.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Same here. Though not 'lots of orange' in MI, but plenty in NW ONT.

I've hunted deer since 1963, usually in thick cover, no people around. When MI passed the blaze orange law I'd wear an orange hat wading into a swamp but take it off once in. I'd throw my orange cap on after the hunt or if I heard a human close enough that I could hear his voice.

But I finally learned that deer don't really react to blaze orange like we do. I've been within 4 yards of really large whitetail bucks, me sitting against a tree, not in some stupid 'box blind--I hate those--and they don't react if you know deer & don't move and so-on. So now I wear an orange hat with any firearm. Or more accurately: during any firearm season even if not hunting.

Same with other animals IME: black bear, timber wolves, caribou, many others. It just does not seem to stand out to them like it does to us.

So...many mammals are somewhat 'color blind' to blaze orange. Birds, not so sure.

6. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    never worn camo deer hunting.....I like orange...too many idiots in the woods that shoot at sound.......being still and stealthy are what counts.....the deer I got this year walked within 10 feet of me...looked at me but I was dead still so she didnt see me......when sha got past me I rolled over and and got an instant kill shot.

7. ApolloMike

ApolloMike Tele-Holic

May 24, 2011
    Florida or Georgia
    This. That is the law here also.

8. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Yep;

MITCHIGAN

wear a hat, cap, vest, jacket or rain gear of highly visible orange color, commonly referred to as hunter orange. When hunting in any season with a license that authorizes the use of a firearm, you must wear hunter orange except as noted below. During the November firearm deer season, this law applies to all deer hunters, including those hunting with a bow and arrow. The garment featuring hunter orange must be the outermost garment and must be visible from all sides. Camouflage orange garments, with 50 percent or more of the surface in hunter orange, are legal.

Exception: This law does not apply to persons hunting waterfowl, crow, wild turkey, or to persons engaged in the sport of falconry. It does not apply to archery or crossbow bear hunters or to persons who are stationary and in the act of hunting bobcat, coyote or fox. Archery and crossbow deer hunters also are not required to wear hunter orange except during the youth firearm seasons, early antlerless firearm and the November firearm deer season.

9. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Feb 15, 2011
    dislocation
  10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

May 1, 2012
    Prescott AZ
    Speaking of the history of camouflage, a former MFA spouse studied under Hoyt Sherman and had interesting tales to tell of him.

11. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Rockledge Florida
    That reminds me of when I was 7 or 8 and my grandfather used to take me to his hunting club up in South Carolina.

Someone had a guest who was from "Up There" somewhere, and he showed up that morning wearing orange pants held up with orange suspenders,, orange shirt, orange coat, orange hat, orange gloves and shiny black boots.

Every bit of it brand new.

My old grandpa stood there for a few seconds, looking him up and down and finally said,

"Son? Aint you taking an awful chance wearing them black boots?"

12. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Though not a hunter and detest it it seems that ,apart from scent ,movement is the key to animals noticing you .Indeed ,how many times do you see an animal or bird before it moves and gives away its position.

13. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

Hey guys, look at me.. I'm a tree.... what did you do on the weekend?...

< insert pic of Nelson going HA HA! >

[​IMG]

14. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Oct 6, 2003
    I've done a lot of hunting of game animals. I've worn camo at times but from experience, what I've learned is, that what is much more effective is using the Sun and the wind to your advantage, being quiet and also staying still when their eyes are on you.

Approach with the Sun behind you, approach them into the wind so they can't scent you, move very slowly and quietly using all available cover.... and patience! If you do it right, they never see, smell or hear you.

To me, the most fun of hunting, is finding the game animals and then figuring out the strategy of the approach for the shot.

I stalked these guys (Kudu) for 2-1/2 days before I got the shot. That was supremely satisfying and exhilarating!

[​IMG]

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    On a recent outing to the supermarket I carefully selected a pair of camouflage cargo shorts which enabled me to stealthily sneak up on, and capture a nice crisp head of lettuce, and a very tasty tri-tip.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Since obviously the audience will not be able to see the instruments, it will appear the members of the band are jumping about on stage manipulating their butt cheeks, and passing gas in such a manner as to simulate the playing of instruments. The audience will be astounded, or not.

17. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

May 1, 2012
    Prescott AZ
    This thread got me thinking about camouflage, so I went to the surplus store to get some. I couldn't find any.

18. Lostinthe50s

Lostinthe50s Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Kenora, ON
    Around here we get a ton of tourist hunters. Easily spotted and avoided as they'll be wearing full camo, including face paint, along with the legally required orange vest and hat.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I've been told that the large orange vest makes an excellent target IF a deer happens to be armed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.