Calling On Pros and Semi-Pros Who Use No Effects

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ben-Zion, Apr 28, 2019.

1. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m all for people playing what they like - dry or otherwise.

The notion that one method makes a player better than others is pretty stupid.

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Like man...I'm a purist you know. None of that fancy electrical stuff. Just give me the tone of good ol' rubber bands and cardboard. Can you dig it?
    [​IMG]

3. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl TDPRI Member

Some songs depend on pedals.

I've played with just a dimed amp and riding the volume pot from almost clean to fairly distorted.

It doesn't work for all styles.

It works if your band is really good and understands playing a song dynamically. My current cover band can play loud and louder. We can't play softer. Its almost like we live in a huge compressor. (We are trying to practice our way out of this.)

BTW having a master volume on your amp is the same as a pedal. Switchable channels too.

Ben-Zion, thegeezer and MilwMark like this.
  4. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I've played in a few bands where I was effectively performing the role of a keys player or percussionist. I.e. there was so much guitar coming from the other guy, I had to go to a different place i.e. lush pads or simple percussive stuff. To that end I acquired a pedalboard with tuner, chorus, delay, volume and wah, the thinking being to change the attack or sustain characteristics of the sound.

Nowadays 90% of what I do is unaffected guitar, but I know those few effects intimately and can pull them out without thinking. Sometimes the right guitar part is not guitar.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Not everyone is playing the blooze or country or classic rock all the time.

cyclopean, E5RSY, -Hawk- and 5 others like this.
  6. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

I'm the OP, and I appreciate and am enjoying all the input. The diversity of thoughts is what I was expecting. I do want to restate that I put this in the Stompbox forum because I wasn't sure where else it should go. Perhaps the Amp forum would have been more appropriate...

I'm just seeking input, and have no axe to grind. That's why I specifically asked what kinds of gigs you play. I know that the gig largely determines the gear. And very few responders have been doctrinaire or staked out a militant anti-pedal POV. It actually kinda seems like the effects folks are the ones who've gotten their dander up LOL.

Anyway, I'm learning lots. Let a thousand flowers bloom, I say...

7. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I play music for myself. I have no aspirations of performing. I dont think of it as ‘musical masturbation’ as one poster referred to it. I call it ‘musical meditation’ - it’s just for me and my well being, no one to entertain or impress (especially not other guitar players). Pedals are fun. I’ll take one of each, please. Sure - if I just played my guitar instead of messing with effects, I would become a better guitar player. As it stands now, I’m getting better at playing guitar and playing effects.

TokyoPortrait and MilwMark like this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

How did we arrive at the two being mutually exclusive anyway? When I use my clean bank on my switcher I am going directly to my amp. When I use the crunch sound, its the other channel in my amp only. I would bet that most of the other 'uncivilized' players do the same. Most player's pedals can be, and are bypassed on and off all night. Most also use the volume exactly as described above, only we may or may not have a drive or boost on instead of dime-ing the amp. Its just another way to get there. Besides, many players like to have a high headroom amp so that a clean sound can happen at any volume. Low headroom amps sound great for low headroom applications, but the cleans are not the same. I loved my old Princetons cranked but the cleans were always a compromise. A higher headroom amp w/an overdrive option is just another approach. The pedals we tend to use have on/off switches on them and people bypass pedals with a switcher these days anyways so they are not in the chain. The two approaches are not mutually exclusive.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Have you seen a modern keyboard rig? I wish I had the effects and sounds my wife's keyboards have! Our drummer has DrumKats and Roland sound module and drum mounted triggers midi stage lights etc,.

We use a few to trigger some aux sounds like a Mopar engine (for Manic Mechanic), some bell chimes etc,...

My rig pales in comparison to both..
    It aint just guitar players..

643C54EE-3ADA-4C95-A38B-E7CADF661757.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Moriarty and Ex-riverman like this.
  10. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

Why would a pro player who does not use pedals even read this particular forum? To learn what not to use?

cyclopean likes this.
  11. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

i'd suspect most pro players are always looking for their next pedal to try out. More than you think anyway.

12. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Yes, because our egos are so huge, we must use pedals. I'm not sure you understand what pedals are. Do you know what they are used for?

cyclopean likes this.
  13. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Yeah, insecurity, ego, and keeping up with the Jonses. I already said that. Pay attention. ;)

Moriarty and Ian T like this.
  14. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi Ben-Zion. Afraid I have no idea how to add a poll once the post has been made. I just had a quick look in an old post of mine and cannot see how. But, I *think* I saw an OP add a poll after the fact a while ago, so my feeling is that it can be done. I might be wrong about that though.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Pax/
    Dean

Ben-Zion likes this.
  15. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Most pros are not averse to using pedals. They are focused on using the right tools for the job and making music. Most of these "no pedals" discussions seem to be limited to amateur players on internet forums.

cyclopean likes this.
  16. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I play professionally in a corporate event/wedding band and I do local club gigs. I use what the gig calls for. For the wedding band, I play a Helix to get all the top 40 sounds to appease the bandleader. For local R&B club gigs, I'm paid to play however I play, so I'm free to use pedals or not. I've been using a small pedal board, but have also played these gigs just direct into the amp if that's how I'm feeling.

Pedals are a fad of our time.

In the 60's and 70's few were using pedals, and I generally prefer the tones they were getting just direct into tube amps.

But I'm here on TDPRI. I watch Rig Rundowns. I love guitar stuff. Everybody uses them. GAS....I'm curious what I'm missing. So I've been on a few pedal binges.

Bought a bunch each time, used them for a bit. Then lost inspiration, and went back to just playing direct into my amp. I find them distracting to some extent.

The latest foray was exploring the sounds of putting a low gain dirt pedal before my SF Twin, to make it sound more like a smaller amp that was pushed.

I get decent sounds, yet whenever I just bypass the pedals, and perhaps turn the amp up a little higher, it sounds great and I think - why am I bothering?

I like to play a setup that gives a lot of headroom for the strings to make more volume, and use that to push the amp. It feels more pure and expressive this way. But that's just my approach, and plenty of players use pedals, different setups, and sound amazing. It's personal preference.

I watched a Joe Bonamassa Rig Rundown and he made a comment that hit home. He said that pretty much all of his favorite guitar tones of all time were from players using multiple amps, daisy chained and dimed. Because there is nothing like the tones you get from multiple amps, and no other way to get that tone. I thought of all the tones that inspired me when I was a kid. And yep, pretty much all of them fit this recipe.

This is something that is rarely done today. Back then, they played live with multiple amps because PAs were weak. Now everywhere wants low stage volume, as the PA does all the work and the sound man wants isolation. And you know what? Rock n Roll has practically died! Now it's guys playing through amp modelers simulating a cranked Plexi, yet at low stage volume, and it's just not even close to the same vibe! Rock has lost it's mojo!

I just went on a binge of watching and listening to early Van Halen footage. He was an early guitar hero of mine. The 1979 Fresno concert is great. What was amazing is how awesome Eddie's tone was live during these years, and how great everything in the band sounded on these bootleg recordings at arena shows, where sound is often quite bad. Eddie's brown sound was there, glorious, night after night. l Compare that with Van Halen at US festival in 1983, and it's already going downhill and starting to sound processed. Then compare that to recent footage, and the tone is now sounding like a Helix or Axe Effects; a far cry from how he sounded in 79. Point being, the processing of tones that is happening today isn't always an improvement.

Sorry for the tangent, but I suppose the point is - there is nothing like a cranked tube amp for me, and working it with my hands. Yet when I can't turn it up enough, it's a rough night! And if the bandleader wants effects, that's what I'll do!

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Greg_L and thegeezer like this.
  17. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I'm not the most effect craving guy in the world , but it would be boring without them , IMO
    I like a little echo , and use both short analog type , and longer digital
    Tuner needs to be down there anyway IMO
    And a wah to use sometimes
    OD I could probably do without , just turn up an ride the volume knob
    I have had gigs/practices without pedal boards and could get by fine
    Just a little....boring

cyclopean likes this.
  18. Floorockous

Floorockous TDPRI Member

My big realisation was not to think of it in terms of 'using effects vs. going straight in' but how many 'channels' or 'sounds' I have.

I have used midi controlled, multi channel amps and had pedalboards with plenty of drives on it both in the studio and live. The problem with those setups, for me, was that I would play in a specific way on each 'setting', so every time I went to the clean channel (or no drive pedal) I tended to play the same things, on the rhythm channel (or first drive pedal) I would play another way and the lead channel/drive a third way. This limited my playing extremely much, because I always defaulted to specific ways of playing.

When I use the 'straight in' or 'one drive always on' approach I can go from clean to dirty leads with the volume knob and everything in between. That gives me essentially an infinite number of sounds from a simpler rig.

Now, the 'single channel' approach is not limited to going straight in to the amp. Hendrix used a fuzz pedal, but kept it on all the time so it could just as well have been part of the amp (the special effects like octavia and uni-vibe was used rarely if at all, the wah being the only stable "effect").

WHY DO (SOME) PEOPLE DISLIKE PEDALS?
    Probably because most of us have had the experience of plugging straight into our amp and getting a much richer tone than going through our pedalboard bypassed and thinking; "Are these gadgets worth the tone suck?"

P.S. I am not gigging anymore, so I shouldn't really be posting in this thread, but take it or leave it ;)

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  19. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It all depends on the MUSIC you play.
    You certainly can play honky tonk music without them.
    But try playing Radiohead,Blur,U2,Police style music without them....you will simply fail.
    So it depends on what kind of pro you are..
    Are you a honky tonk pro or are you a post punk pro or maybe you are a pro in a cover band that needs to cover many styles of music during one gig?

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  20. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Insecurity. Ego.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.