Calling On Pros and Semi-Pros Who Use No Effects

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ben-Zion, Apr 28, 2019.

1. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I occasionally run through a Korg era AC`15( modded) w/, master and it sounds pretty sweet. Just on board reverb and trem

Ben-Zion likes this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I have a pedal that makes me sound like I am going straight into the amp.

3. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

I haven't used pedals in the past 5 years. I use the old standby of turning the volume up on the amp and down on the guitar. Takes a bit of time to dial in the sweet spot but once that's sorted turning up the guitar's volume yields enough dirt and grit for solos and leads and backing off it clean things up nicely. Mind you, I'm not playing metal or hard rock so this works well and I can focus on my playing.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

"Amps like twin reverbs nowadays are pretty much only useable with pedals as there are hardly any scenarios where you’re allowed to turn it up loud enough for it to sound decent."

No, that's not true. You've gotta be assuming that Twin Reverb users are turning them up in hopes of making them distort. The whole beauty of a Fender Twin Reverb is that it will stay clean and toneful from whisper quiet all the way up to required output levels at even the largest gigs. Natural amp distortion is not where its at for Twin Reverb amp users. For natural break-up at reasonable sound levels, without pedals, you will want to grab one of those little expensive practice amps that have been the rage for quite a while now and crank the hell out of it.

5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm no pro and never will be one, but I do think people worry way too much about their effects pedals. It's nice to have a phaser on that Waylon cover, it's nice to add a fuzz to some weird song, and whatever else, but it's actually way down the list of importance for putting on a show. I think it's not so much that it gets in the way of the playing to use a bunch of effects, but I have seen quite a few instances where a guitarist spends 1/2 the gig working his pedalboard instead of playing his heart out. I know that if my board conked out right before a show I could just plug straight in, turn amp up a bit and turn down the guitar, and be fine.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

For those who think a Twin Reverb doesn’t overdrive, turn it up to 5-6 and get back to us.

Also, does the whole “pedals are impure” thing never get tiresome?

artdecade, Iago, cyclopean and 3 others like this.
  7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

I use effects. But....mainly using ones that are on copy tunes we're playing.

If it serves the song/tune no problem.

ucnick likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Re. OP. Why are you asking? Thinking about a new amp or musical direction?

After music college I played professionally in bands and theatres for a few years before going back to Uni for my current career. I keep my hand in since as an occasional musical director / player for musical productions and working in several bands, trios and depping situations. These give me pin money and cover gear costs today but would barely qualify as semi pro today.

I think context is everything. I play clean stuff, crunchy rhythm and take all the big solos on stuff that can range from old musicals to heavy rock. It’s a big demand on the gear.

I need to cover a lot of things so have quite a stack of gear. If you have a singular act or style you can get away with one sound for, that is great but if you are a jobbing musician, versatility is vital. It’s not about which is better, it’s about what is needed.

Depending on ask, I use; several amps, some pedals, no pedals, a few pedals or a multifx (Boss GT100 currently)

The most significant thing for me is the amp features and then it’s a question of if the amp is my monitor and live sound or if I am mic’d and going through a desk with someone mixing us or we are running our own rig.

90% of gigs these days we bring our own PA and mix our own sound with amps mic’d only when needed for a big venue or tone sucking marquee. The amp sound is our main sound and my monitor usually, so I need at least 50 watts.

Re. Straight in

I personally vastly prefer the tone and response of amp dirt vs pedals. My main rigs are an older Mesa (Mark iii with mods) and newer Marshall (DSL) with three and four usable channels / sounds respectively and reverb. The Mesa has pedal controlled EQ and reverb boost but I never did a gig without an MXR boost pedal in all my years using it as it gave me a higher degree of gain and level control.

The DSL is a newer model with two masters for normal and boost so it can easily do a whole gig and I can adapt to changes in band volume with no pedals. I have done and can do gigs ‘straight in’ with it. I was playing a two hour set yesterday afternoon and that is what I did with a 3x P90 guitar. Got funky cleans to bluesy crunch to sustaining leads with volume boosted solos all from just the DSL amp.

I also love playing a vintage JMP 50 watter.. It is the pure thing.. and it can do a lot just by riding the volume control but it’s just too basic and I have to use a Fulltone Fulldrive boost / OD for leads to make up. It has no fx loop and the DSL beats it for straight in use.

The bottom line for me is that I chose to invest in channel switching, multi-watt amps with pro features like twin master boosts or EQs and so do not need to get into the weeds with too many dirt and boost pedals.

If you get a simpler, single channel amp, then pedals are simply the way to do anything. It’s a choice and I can do both.

It is rare to have a complete repertoire, esp. if covering tunes from the 50’s to today, that will not require at least a delay or a chorus occasionally. They are rack based in my Mesa rig though.

Long way of saying.. your amp choice dictates your options and the work you do decides what fx extras are needed.

Channel switcher (minimum of three), with a solo boost function and an fx loop are key foundation for me to enjoy and fully utilise ‘straight in’ amp tones. Mesa MK5, new DSL, JVMs are all great ‘pro’ amps to go ‘pedal free’.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  9. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I believe you missed the point. Any amp will distort if it's turned up high enough. Most individuals will never turn the volume up high enough on a Twin Reverb to where it will begin to distort. Those would not be reasonable or acceptable sound levels at just about any indoor gig. I've been playing Twin Reverbs and Dual Showman amps since the 60's and have never needed to turn any of them up over 4, and even that was way too loud, but very clean.

10. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I believe all of this can be explained by what kinda sound(s) you are looking for...

i.e. would Jimi have been the same without pedals?

He was crafting sound(s).

Bill Frisell, too. A "Sound Crafter."

However, there is still something to be said for the sound (purity) of a guitar straight into an amp.

Even without reverb or tremelo.

It's also a "Sound."

It depends onn what YOU are LOOKING FOR... YOUR OWN SOUND(S).

Ben-Zion likes this.
  11. Alter

Alter TDPRI Member

The music I like is mostly no pedals. Jazz, blues, soul, funk (at least usually). So many times I have compared my pedalboards with good pedals, buffers, etc to the direct in amp sound, and I always prefer the direct sound. So most of my gigs are just guitar and amp, unless the music needs effects.

Ian T and Ben-Zion like this.
  12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure how any of this matters. There are plenty of folks that use effects live and sound great. The percentage of people who I listen to, who use effects through their rigs live is about 99%. In fairness I listen to a lot of rock and fusion. I would imagine if I listened to a lot of blooze or traditional jazz, that number would probably be different.
    The idea that it is somehow more “pure” to play straight into an amp IS bs. Who is going to tell Robben or Eric J that they are ruining their sound with ‘them there gadgets’?
    Why is this not posted in one of the many amp forums? Every time this subject comes up in The Stompbox, people seem to appear out of the wall paper to declare their distain for and blasphemy of effects. Why do they hang out in The Stompbox? Never been able to understand that one.

13. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Corollary question: why do electric guitarists (as compared to just about any other instrumentalists) depend so much on effects?

nosuch, Ben-Zion and Greg_L like this.
  14. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I don't necessarily have anything against pedals. My thing is I need to be able to create my sound consistently, reliably and with the least amount of hassle. So I go straight through a '65 Ampeg Reverberocket. Volume, bass and treble at noon, just a bit of reverb and that amp is at it's sweet spot with a Tele. Straight country, some classic rock, blues-it's been pretty versatile. I have a jazz-like gig coming up at an art exhibit-I'll switch to a DV Mark Micro 50 and a 2 x 10 cab. I've put all my arch top guitars through that amp and the clean is insane-but still the only effect will be a touch of reverb.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  15. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I generally dislike pedals and wouldn't knowingly or purposefully venture into the pedals section of the site. But it shows up under the "new posts" tab.

16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Insecurity. Ego. And keeping up with the jonses.

CCK1 and Ian T like this.
  17. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Because no real guitarist would stoop to using a crutch like a pedal.
    Oh,except for Hendrix...
    and Jeff Beck
    and SRV
    and the Edge
    and Eddie Van Halen
    and Brian May
    and Eric Johnson
    and Slash
    and Peter Frampton
    and David Gilmour
    and Billy Gibbons
    and John Scofield
    and Randy Rhoads
    and Jerry Reed
    and Waylon Jennings (among many others)

Obviously these folks never learned the pure unadulterated joy of plugging straight into an amp. What a bunch of losers! :twisted:

Daytona.57, artdecade, Iago and 5 others like this.
  18. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

same reason a dog licks his . . . because he can.

this stuff is fun, and I'm in it for the fun. also I'm sometimes trying to emulate cool tones I heard on records I liked -- the slow slapback on "Last Night" by Little Walter, for instance. Might as well have an echo for that. some dirt to play slide with, reverb for my amps that don't have it, tremolo -- specifically the harmonic Trem on the Flint -- because I can't play slow soul without it. I have like four pedals and a tuner on the board I take to rehearsals and gigs, and I use all of 'em.

Bopcat and Ben-Zion like this.
  19. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I just usually put my map on 8 and use my guitar's volume control. It's easier than doing a bunch of tap dancing. If I'm doing something where I need to recreate a specific album part I'll use an effect for that.

Ian T likes this.
  20. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

Because the instrument is Electric guitar. If you don't want anything to do with the Electric part, there are all kinds of instruments out there for you that are tuned the same way (tangent thread about open or other non-EADGBE tunings)

The sound of the electric guitar has at least as much to do with what's on the far end of the cable; whether that's a small combo with octal pre-amp tubes, a head and two 4x12s, a digital modeler, or a direct box going into the PA.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.