Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Calling all VHT Special 6 owners!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Obsessed, Jan 12, 2016.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I went through this decisions decisions process a few years ago and never pulled the trigger.
    Regarding the weight, I wonder how much the cab itself weighs.
    I have a (Kendrick) 5f1 in a little head box that would almost fit in a guitar gig bag and weighs 10 lbs.
    I reckon the Special 6 chassis is a bit heavier than a Champ, but it seems like maybe a whole lotta dense ass mdf to drag around.
    I'd be inclined to buy a used head and build a lightweight pine cab for it, just because the small and lightweight aspect is so attractive.
    Maybe one of these days I'll find a good deal on a used one...

2. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    My two cents worth :D

I've never tried an Ultra however I have owned both the special 6 head and combo.
    I absolutely love the sound of the head unit played through my 2x12 cab and i had an oversized 1x10 cab I was using, it also sounded WAY bigger than 6 watts !!!

I tried a few speakers in the combo and never really liked it, the cab in the combo just seemed to add a boxiness I could not overcome and so i feel like you might miss a lot of the magic of these sweet little amps in the combo.

My opinion only

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Ah, fantastic input blues bondsman. Since I have only heard the S6 through the Ultra 12" combo (which I really liked), I was kinda wondering about this. Knowing that you have used a variety of speakers on it, pretty well sells me on my head/cabs idea.

Thanks so much, that tips the scales for me. Special 6 head it is!

4. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    Trust me i wanted to love the combo for ease of carry to local jams, but I just couldn't

i tried a fender 10 gold label, a Lil Buddy and an old alnico 10 i had laying in the basement.

Nothing took away the boxy sound.

This set up sounds Awesome !!!
    please excuse the sideways photo

Attached Files:

5. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Nice! The head definitely gives me the potential for going with a 2x12 if deemed necessary. I suspect you are a like minded blues player blues bondsman and lots of speaker experimenting with the S6, so what ya got under the hood of that cab and have you used that combination with a drummer?

6. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    Plenty loud !
    I have an older Carvin (Eminence) British and a 1970's Wilder (made in Chicago)
    So an American flavored and a British flavored 100 / 50 watt ceramic pair of 12" 8 ohm Speakers in that cab.

I've run the VHT with Cannabis Rex, Celestion V-30, Swamp Thang, 12F150 Weber, weber sig 12, Governor, and others I just cant recall and the 10" speakers i mentioned earlier.

The half power switch completely changes the character of the amp, full power has more headroom and is a lot brighter, half power really reminds me of a tweed Champ.

Also I use a 5751 in the preamp and I have a nice NOS GE 6V6GT in the power side.
    They really like good tubes !

7. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    I'm the one that put that input grid resistor mod out there and... it's a bad idea.
    I was the OP of the mod thread. To be honest I didn't have a good handle on the design of the amp. I recently picked up another SP6 combo and took another stab at nuking the rf interference. Success this time. Adding a cap from the ground lug of the input jack to chassis solved the problem. I'll look for the original info I found on this mod and start a new thread.

I'm running a Jensen Tornado in mine and it sounds GREAT and is very lightweight. I also remove the metal cage protecting the tube and the logo, which got the weight down to an easier carry.

8. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    "If it has isolated input jacks, put a 0.01uF cap from the *ground* side of the jack directly to the chassis at the closest point, such as on a ring terminal mounted behind a switch, or a on a pot or something. This will kill RFI deader'n hell in most cases. Ceramic disks from Radio Shack will work fine, or any kind of film capacitor. Sometimes you can test this to see if it is the cause by sticking a wire or paper clip on the metal body of the guitar cable where it plug into the amp and touch it to the front panel on a bare metal spot."

The quote above is from Aiken Amps. Worked great in the SP6 to kill the rf and is very easy to do.

9. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yum, thanks for the recipe!

10. MyloAbeja

MyloAbeja TDPRI Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Tucson
    I agree with you on the VHT Chromeback speaker. With my 12/20 and Special 6 I went through all the speaker permutations and now the stock speaker is back in. It's a very heavy speaker, hence the heftiness of these amps in general.

11. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Nice. My own thread brought back from the dead. :rolleyes:

Just to update, I have had my Special 6 Ultra head for over a year now. I paired it up to a Eminence GA-10 speaker into a Walmart $20 subwoofer box and the combo delivers the tones in my head, plus a lot more. The pseudo attenuator is an awesome feature that I use constantly, so the Ultra is worth the extra cost and weight just for that specific feature. It is much easier to transport the two units plus having a very nice speaker as the bonus. It nails the vintage 335ish sounds that I have been after for years with my modified Epi Sheraton II, so I have found my holy grail for relatively dirt cheap. Unless some locals rope me into another band, I am done with amp searches and very content.:) Thanks to all for their inputs to help me make that final decision. I actually found this head "new" at a guitar store in Portland, OR that they were just trying to push out the door, because they stopped carrying VHT, so I got a heck of a deal.:):)

12. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm back in as of tonight
    $100 cash for this original Special 6 head 1512611622596.jpg

-Hawk- likes this.

13. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Dang, my thread came alive again. Congrats blues bondsman. I assume you play blues like I do, so I know how well the VHT S6 will do for you. Enjoy.

14. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    I have owned at least four of these and one combo.
    This one now has a GE 5751 in the preamp and a sweet old Sylvania 6v6GT in the power section.
    The home made cab has a 1960's Rola 12" 8ohm speaker from an organ pull.
    Just needs a P-90 guitar for some vintage grind!

Obsessed likes this.

15. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Nice and good to know.

BTW, there is a specific VHT Special 6 head thread over in the Amp Owners Club section that might interest you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.