Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Calling all Fender detectives and forensic scientists...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by King Fan, Jun 18, 2017.

1. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    What do you think happened here? I noticed right away that the back panel label for the vibrato channel was partly curled up:

IMG_0021 (1).jpg

But on going to fix it, I see the original foil label had simply been cut off and the trem part rotated. Then someone had rolled up the right end to uncover the serial number, which got covered up when the label segment was moved. Why? Cuz someone had put the trem jack on the back rather than the bottom of the chassis, even though there's a hole in the chassis for the (?? original) position (under hemostats at bottom):

IMG_0037.jpg

What happened here? Was this a factory deal? Note the mounting holes for the RCA jack sit almost on top of the mounting screws for the 6V6 socket. So maybe someone at the factory improvised? Or was this a mod, somehow?

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    I suggest Leos ladies on the assembly line didnt have time to fool around with a goofy mod like that. And no it aint no dang prototype from Leos bench. LOL
    A subsequent owner with an imagination and too much spare time? maybe :confused:

3. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Southern IL
    Where is the speaker jack? Normally the back panel RCA jacks are mounted with a nut over the jack itself similar to a 1/4" female jack. It looks like the trem. jack went bad so they robbed the RCA jack from the speaker and mounted it on the back panel drilling holes. Then wired the output transformer directly to the speaker? I can't see the OT wires so I guess they are just run to the speaker. Definitely not factory and not a repair by a competent tech. A lot of trouble for nothing considering the tremelo pedal on a vibrochamp is only used to turn the trem. off.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I dunno who did it or why...but I would rewired the AC power supply.

5. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    Wow! The black (hot) wire is grounded and the green(ground wire) is attached to the PT.

6. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Zoom, I don't think that it is quite that bad. I think the green does go to ground there. I do see how one could misread the photo, though. But....I prefer the black to go through the fuse...as it does...and then on to the switch and then to the PT. The white should hardware directly to the other PT primary....but whoever did this one put the white neutral on the switch with the black hot on the fuse and then directly to the PT Primary.

King Fan likes this.

7. King Fan

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    That does seem the most likely, I agree. Not sure what the "mod" achieved. Here's why I think it might be hard to fit the trem jack back in the floor of the chassis. Hmm, were the bearclaws an after-market addition, maybe?

IMG_4819.jpg

You raise an interesting point about the trem pedal. Most sources seem to say that switching the pedal off on the VC is just like dialing the trem to 0, but I then read that switching the trem off actually alters the signal flow and tone? I'm not schema-smart enough to evaluate that.

Agree it ain't clear what the mod achieved, but I shoulda included more photos. Here's the speaker jack, still in its original spot, thank goodness. (Edit: I now see another possible confusion here: the faded red wire that used to run from the rectifier to the board is now capped off at the bottom -- it was replaced by the new red cloth wire when I wired in the new cap can to run 4 filter caps.)

IMG_0051.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

8. King Fan

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Yep, Wally's right, the photo was just confusing. This may be a bit better. I was happy to see the hot go to the fuse, and the green ground to a clamped-down crimp-on ring -- and so didn't think through where the neutral went. I'll be rewiring it according to Hoyle -- thank you, Wally!

IMG_4809.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Wally likes this.

9. King Fan

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Heh, nothing new under the sun, I just gotta remember it better. If you're curious about power wiring, I had this hot-fuse-switch thing explained to me here on TDPRI last year.

10. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    King Fan, you are correct in thinking that the bear claw was a mod. These little amps did not have tube retainers.

King Fan likes this.

11. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    That's a relief!

12. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Southern IL
    King Fan, I think the last time I had a Vibro Champ, I decided that even with the trem switched off the controls (speed and intensity) affected the tone of the amp. I took to turning both back to 1 even when the trem. was off.

King Fan likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.