Callahan Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ConsiderMeMiles, Feb 6, 2019.

1. ConsiderMeMiles

ConsiderMeMiles TDPRI Member

Hey all,

I'm pickup shopping (yes...again). Anyone have first hand experience with Callahan T-Style Vintage 50 Pickups? Bill Frisell sure seems to love them.

As a basis of comparison, I have and love Fender Nocasters (love them for jazz tones), Kinman and Novaks (love them for rock tones).

2. SB Havidson

SB Havidson TDPRI Member

I don't but I remember that his waiting list can be quite long (it is an extra job that the guy performs in his spare time).

3. ConsiderMeMiles

I just spoke with Jeff, and his ETA is one month. I'm more than fine with that.

So, anyone ever play a set?

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I thought Fralin made the Callahan pickups and Callahan did the cyro freeze thing to them?

5. ConsiderMeMiles

That's Callaham!

6. Ringo

Yes it is Callaham, I just wasn't thinking and copied what the OP wrote.
    From the Callaham site about their pickups it clearly states that they have Fralin custom wind to their specs, I know they used to cryogenically freeze the pickups , the site doesn't mention that anymore.

7. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Yes I have the vintage style T set in my 2006 American Telecaster. They aren't necessarily the same as the ones he personally wired for Frisell, but they are incredible and have stayed happily in my guitar ever since (2015). Bridge pickup has enough sparkle but is also decently buttery. Neck pickup sounds so wooden and clear. Perfection. The two together is also just excellent. Would 110% recommend.

I also have a set of his vintage Strat style pickups with the staggered pole pieces. Admittedly, at first I wasn't totally thrilled but that's due to user error and not being intimately familiar with what makes a strat sound good. After the guitar (80s Japanese strat) sat around mostly unplayed for a couple years, I recently tweaked the height of them and was blown away when they acheived balance. All the tones kill and that guitar is all over my band's album that we are currently recording. IMG_20180202_131129_434.jpg IMG_20180423_160930_586.jpg IMG_20181016_123619_857.jpg

8. ConsiderMeMiles

Buttery bridge PUP? Wooden neck PUP? I'm sold (and Jeff Callahan owes you a placement fee). Thanks, man! That's the final push I needed.

PS - Anyone ever point out that you look like Eddie Vedder? I was certain that was him in the first pic you posted. As in triple take certain...

9. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Never heard that once til now so I'll just brush that off ;)

It doesn't get Eddie Vedder than this they said

kookaburra and ConsiderMeMiles like this.
  10. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

What does C-freezing do to them. Isn't that like putting nitrogen in your tires ?

CFFF likes this.
  11. Ringo

I'm sure you're joking, cryogenically freezing is putting something in liquid nitrogen for a while, supposedly changes the structure of the elements? It's used in a lot of manufacturing, some knife makers treat the blades that way.
    Not sure what it's supposed to do to a guitar pickup. I've seen vacuum tubes advertised as being cryo treated , guitar strings ....

12. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Yes it does mention it... "The cryogenic company we used has gone out of business, so we will not be able to treat pickups like we have done in the past."

13. Ringo

No mention of what the treatment did to the pickups?

14. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Joking only in the sense that paying for nitrogen in tires is a joke, given that the air you breathe is 70% nitrogen ....

15. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Just split the difference and call me Shreddy Vedder FB_IMG_1549909214591.jpg

kookaburra and ConsiderMeMiles like this.
  16. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

It's just one of the numerous way audiophiles try makes things that are already as perfect as current technology allows, seem even better, without discovering any new technology.

17. ConsiderMeMiles

My luthier just finished assembling my most recent project — a Thinline I've nicknamed "Stein" because of its resemblance to a Steinway piano. Turns out the Callahan PUPs are clear and articulate, just like a Steinway, too!

Matt Elder_01.jpg Matt Elder_02.jpg Matt Elder_03.jpg

Bruxist and TheMindful like this.
  18. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Black and White looks great for 69 Thinline. The pickguard almost looks like a yin yang.

ConsiderMeMiles likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.