Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Caline Pedal Owners Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Mar 6, 2015.

1. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Starting up a new Club for Caline pedals, which is one of the Chinese brands offering insanely cheap pedals, many of which are clones, copies, or heavily inspired from expensive boutique models. I've had great experiences with Joyo, and Caline is a brand that was cited as offering durability comparable to that first run of Joyo pedals that had the heavier casing and decent switches and pots.

The one that I tried out is the CP-18 Orange Burst. Ordered from DonnerDeal for only $30. Shipping was free, but despite some references on the website to warehouses in the U.S. and U.K., my pedal did ship from China. All in all, it only took about two weeks, and might have been sooner except that I ordered it during Chinese New Year. A sales rep responded to my email within a day and confirmed it had been shipped.

The Orange Burst is pretty great. It's an Xotic BB Preamp clone, though I somehow had never come across the Xotic line of pedals. It's already my favorite booster, because you can use it as a pure clean boost with the gain at "0", and you can also cut or boost Bass or Treble +/- 15dB independently. I played it into the clean "Blackface" channel of my Super Champ X2 at low volume, and it was pretty cool seeing the range of things it can do. I will say that it can be a bright pedal, but my amp itself is bright, so I think the better word is "transparent". But crank the gain, and it took my completely clean tone and made it into a convincing and amp-like overdrive.

Anybody have any of these pedals? The next one I would consider is sort of the "companion" pedal to this one - the Blue Sky Overdrive. Some people seem to think it is a Timmy clone, but it may actually be a clone of Xotic's own AC Booster. In any event, that one arguably even more transparent, with a flatter EQ and less gain than the Orange Burst.

Attached Files:

2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I bought the Crazy Cactii a few months back for under £23 shipped. Took a couple of days to arrive so assume it was from the UK. I used it a lot for a few weeks when my Joyo Original Drive died, but then put it away when the Joyo replacement arrived. A couple of weeks ago I picked up an Englishman for the same sort of price, which is supposed to do the Marshall in a box thing, but I have not opened the box yet. Must get around to giving them some playing time.

3. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Looks cool, I have not seen these in stores. I'll have to look.

Thanks for the heads-up.

4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I bought both of mine over the net, don't think you will find them in the stores.

5. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Yeah, not in stores. I even know a guy who stocks some Mooer, Biyang, etc., and he doesn't have Caline. But if you look at the different Chinese brands, many of them are rebranded as something different to get a rid of factory parts. (Donner pedals look like a Mooer chassis but sold with different pedal names and half the price).

6. dab37

dab37 TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2012
    These pedals offer real bang for your buck! I have the Time Space Echo Delay. You won't get close to the U2 sound, but it's a great subtle, analog delay.

Attached Files:

7. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Really enjoying the Orange Burst - holy crap is that thing versatile. Does a clean boost well with control over EQ shaping, but can also generate a nice smooth overdrive out of a completely clean signal.

8. Pauljazzguitar

Pauljazzguitar TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2009
    manchester uk
    I just received the Orange Burst a few moments ago, I'll give it a try later and report back.

9. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    PA
    I’ve been looking at the Puffer Fuzz in my quest for a cheapie Silicon Fuzz. Anyone tried one. There seems to be only a couple demos and based on those Its hard to tell if its any good.

10. Pauljazzguitar

Pauljazzguitar TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2009
    manchester uk
  11. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Just ordered the Blue Sky Overdrive. This is the one that's supposedly the "Timmy" clone. I'll post back with my thoughts on it whenever it makes the long trek from China, but in the meantime, the YouTube channel from "intheblues" has covered the Caline pedals pretty extensively.

12. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Pure Sky Overdrive has arrived! (I called it the "Blue Sky" in my last post, d'oh!) Took about two weeks this time, I think, through Donner Deal. Still not all that bad for as cheap as the prices are, and from an external standpoint (knob resistance, switches, jacks), these things are almost on boutique-level quality. Internally, I'm not kidding myself - I know that the circuitry and some components are done more cheaply and less reliably. But so long as the thing is working, it's a pretty impressive little piece of gear, even superior to first-run Joyo.

Soundwise, I was fairly impressed, but haven't really tried it with enough amps and setups to have a truly informed opinion yet. As many have said, it's a transparent overdrive. What I mean by that is that you will hear far more elements of your original tone in the pedal, particularly in the 0-50% portion of the gain range. Plenty of output on tap, and you can boost with it.

Compared to the Orange Burst, they do more or less the same thing, but in different ways. The Orange Burst has more gain and is more of a rock tone. Its probably also thicker, with the Pure Sky emphasizing the high end dynamics more. This is not a Klon clone, but I tend to think of pedals like the EHX Soul Food, the Joyo Sweet Baby, and this Caline Pure Sky all in a similar light. They do much better adding a little bit of "something" to the original tone, but tend to get a little messy/fizzy with the gain turned up. (By contrast, the Orange Burst had some nice overdrive tones with the gain turned up).

But I think the tone controls are where both the Orange Burst and Pure Sky excel. The separate Cut/Boost for bass and treble is a great option for dialing into a particular amp. In fact, while I probably won't do this, I could envision wanting to use the Pure Sky as an "always on" pedal, doing nothing more than using the EQ knobs to alter the lows or highs of your tone just a bit, without compromising or over-saturating the clean signal.

I think I prefer the Orange Burst out of the two, but they do different things. So far so good with the Caline brand.

Attached Files:

13. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    PA
    I'll probably be pulling the trigger on a new pedal in a couple weeks. Would you say this or the Sweet Baby? I'm looking for a low gain transparenty drive.

14. Duotone

Duotone TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Germany

Don't know about the Sweet Baby, but the Blue Sky will definitely get you there.

15. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Yeah, I own both (and so could you for around $60...haha. Crazy). It's all a matter of taste and "fit" with your equipment. I do think the Pure Sky (I keep calling it Blue Sky also) is more "transparent". Some may prefer the tone of the Sweet Baby anyway, and that's fine. But one thing to keep in mind is that you get a fair amount more EQ control in the Pure Sky than the Sweet Baby, which only has a "focus" knob. Wasn't exactly clear to me what the focus know did, but I suppose it's kind of like a presence control for dialing into a particular amp.

I have around a dozen Joyo pedals, so I'm a fan. But the type of housing and switch used for the Sweet Baby is a bit questionable - the only ones I kept from that form factor were the U.S. Dream and the Pocket Metal. I think the Caline Pure Sky is a lot more durable, but with the caveat that all of these are budget Chinese clones. If 70% of them still work in 15 years (even with light usage), I'll consider that a "win".

16. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I like the Orange Burst a lot. Compared to a TC Spark Booster it holds its own
    very well and almost identical to one of the TC toggle switch settings.
    I played both side to side, back and forth with best various settings using
    a Telecasters, Les Pauls and a Gretsch just wanting to test.

Only thing found so far on mine is the foot switch is kind stiff but
    maybe with time or a bit of silicon will smooth it out. It doesn't get
    a huge amount of off/on just as needed.

The Orange is supposed to be somewhat similar to the BBE but no
    first hand experience here.

17. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Had the Pure Sky hooked up to my Fender SCX2 today - man is that a nice pedal! I have a Soul Food and Sweet Baby, also, but I'm struggling a bit to imagine what those could do that the Pure Sky couldn't do better. Great transparency and added EQ boost/cut if you need to tweak your sound just a bit.

With as good as these two are, I would consider others, but nothing in their lineup is jumping out at me.

18. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Starting to get curious about some of the other Caline pedals - wondering if anyone here has tried them. Particularly people in Europe/Asia/Australia, as the YouTube videos and vendor sites seem to indicate these were pushed pretty hard overseas in 2013/14, but only more recently got noticed here in the U.S. (whereas brands like Mooer and Joyo were quite popular here during the same period of time).

The next two pedals in terms of popularity seem to be the Hot Mushroom Compressor and the Blue Ocean delay, but I don't have a great need for either of those. The Crazy Cacti (CP-20) is basically Fulldrive 2 clone.

Then there's some others I'm looking at:

Amazon.com: Caline CP-14 English Man Distortion Guitar Effect Pedal Aluminum Alloy Housing True Bypass: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418-%2BpVcVWL.@@AMEPARAM@@418-%2BpVcVWL - Available at DonnerDeal.com; seems pretty established to be a Carl Martin Plexitone clone; does some low gain stuff but gets pretty raucous with good low end. This would probably be the next one I try

Amazon.com: NEW Mark 4 Distortion True Bypass Guitar Effect Pedal CP-16: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PFGga7HbL.@@AMEPARAM@@41PFGga7HbL - Sounds like a Mesa Boogie amp (also available at DonnerDeal); I was not too impressed with this one in videos, but that's also not really my preferred tone

Amazon.com: Caline CP-21 Distortion Guitar Effect Pedal Aluminum Alloy Housing Ture Bypass: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41uO8FpZxiL.@@AMEPARAM@@41uO8FpZxiL - Claims to be a Marshall JTM-45 tone, but not clear how this is different from the English Man

Amazon.com: Caline CP-25 Overdrive Guitar Effect Pedal "Highway Man" True Bypass: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51klcifTMDL.@@AMEPARAM@@51klcifTMDL - Looks like an overdrive, but is actually based on the Xotic RC Booster (Similar to the Donner Boost Killer)

Amazon.com: Caline CP-27 Sand Storm Crunch Distortion Guitar Effect Pedal Aluminum Alloy Housing True Bypass: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51dVyLo6qJL.@@AMEPARAM@@51dVyLo6qJL - Seems to be a high-gain distortion of some kind, but can't tell what it's based on

There are other boosters, chorus, etc., but those are just a few that I noticed. I think through either DonnerDeal or Amazon, any of them could be shipped for less than $35 U.S., but virtually all of them would have to come from China.

Anybody got any information on any of these?

19. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Update: Did some more research, and ordered the English Man. Shipping is from China though, so I won't expect it for another few weeks. Forum discussions about the pedal (and inspection of the circuitry) seem to indicate pretty conclusively that it is "based on" the boost channel of the old large-form black Carl Martin Plexitone. So it does a cranked Plexi sound fairly well, and perhaps even a bluesy vintage Marshall crunch tone with the gain all the way down, but it dirties up very quickly, from what I've seen. But for 30 bucks, it seemed like it has real potential.

20. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I purchased the Puffer Fuzz on Ebay this weekend for $23.40 USD shipped.
    It will take a couple weeks to get here. Am hoping it has manageable
    controls and can do '60s type fuzz sounds decent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.