Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cad 3D - 2D what are using?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by old_picker, Sep 25, 2017.

1. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

I am looking at moving from Corel to something a little more industry standard that hopefully has 3d capabilities. I generally have my template cutting and engraving done outside my workshop. I find that Corel output these days is getting quite exotic as many small cutting places are using 3d cad cam software to drive the routers

I am wondering what you blokes out there who design projects on computers are using.

For interest sake here is a project that I designed and had the templates cut by a local CNC outfit. The source DNA is quite obvious.

[​IMG]

ndcaster likes this.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Rhino3D to MeshCam for about 10 years or so now.

3. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Rhinoceros 5 and RhinoCAM. But I'm thinking of going to Fusion 360. You can get it for free if you make less than a certain amount with it a year.

4. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Rhino 5. But Solidworks is a sure bet for anything that needs to be CNC-ed or rapid prototypes.

hdvades likes this.

5. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Northern California
    I've been modeling in animation software for 20 years. Mostly Cinema4D plus a handful of others. Great for making renderings that look like real guitars but for building actual things a true CAD program has it's advantages. Like not approximating numbers and being able to do successful fillets and extrusions.

Earlier this year I was turned on to Fusion360. It's free if you make less than $100k with it. It is cloud based so I can log into any computer where it is installed and work on my models. It exports .stl for 3d printing, has a beautiful renderer for seeing what stuff looks like and it has built in CAM.

It's fully parametric, meaning you can go back and change things and it will update the model as long as the change still works in the new model. For example if I lay out a neck with a 1 5/8 nut width & 9 inch radius and finish it all the way to making the tool paths for the CNC machine, I can go back and change the radius to 12 inch and the nut to 1 3/4 and it will change the model and update the tool paths. Now you do have to follow some rules for this to work and have everything reference the original drawings you make but it does work.

Lots of people use Rhino and I think it has more modeling power (I haven't looked at it in a while) but I think Fusion's complete integration from 2D drawings to CNC machine, and free cost make it the choice for me.

However you mention template cutting and engraving. Isn't that all 2D? Corel should work fine if you're comfortable and it can export a format your service uses. If you're already comfortable that might work.

But try Fusion360 for free, do the short tutorial videos from their website and see how it feels.
    https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/get-started

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I use FreeCAD and Fusion360 to run 3D printers (or ship files to shops that can do 3D printing) and CNC Routers.

People I know run Catia, Siemens NX, and Solidworks but these are $5,000-$20,000 per seat per year licenses.

I remain leery and skeptical about Fusion360 because while it's 'free' to smaller shops, it is on a yearly basis, they are still doing a lot of development so the free users provide a test bed group of users. Once they get the software finished I suspect they will convert all those users into paying customers as that is the software model used for the last twenty years. A free user that knows the system will be hard pressed to ditch it and start all over so they will pay whatever the fee is.

The Solidworks development team (Solidworks was purchased by either Catia or NX), has created a cloud-based-CAD modeling system with a low monthly subscription called 'On Shape'. Interface works like Solidworks. $40-$100 a month when I looked into it last year.

FreeCAD is also in development but is usable and more simple to operate, especially for casual use, and runs on multiple operating systems (important for me since I run Linux). Fusion360 runs on Windows only.

7. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I have an old copy of AutoCAD 2000 that still sees use. Though mostly I'll make DXFs using programs I write myself (in Common Lisp, not AutoLisp). I'm on the other side from Peltogyne -- I was the guy consuming those models, though our guys were 3DS back in the day.

8. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    I use Fusion 360 for CAD and CAM...I do bodies, necks, fingerboards, bridges, pickup bobbins, pickup mounting rings...pickguards...control plates...control covers...headstock engraving...templates...etc...it is free to students and small businesses and hobbyist...definitely worth the time!

9. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Northern California
    Macs too. And it seems to be pretty good when I work on mac based models on a PC.

10. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

11. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Aspire(CAD/CAM) and sometimes Rhino(CAD) . I can export .stl's from Rhino and tool path in Aspire if need be but mostly use Aspire for all my CAD & CAM . I tried Fusion 360 but didn't like the terms of service , its free for under $100,000 small businesses and hobbyists until they say it isn't free .

12. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    QCad when I'm on Linux (which is 99% of the time) and DoubleCAD XT v5 when I'm on Windows. QCAD also has a Windows and Mac versions, and the free 'Trial' version is not too limited. Both of those are 2D and free to use.

One of these days I'm going to try BRL-CAD for doing 3D stuff, as it is free and open-source, and (for better or worse) is the CAD of choice for the U.S. Military since the '80s.

13. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Onshape and Shapeways

14. Smiff

Smiff TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    AutoDesk Inventor for 2D/3D CAD, I believe you can get a free student version. OneCNC to convert the drawing into code; no idea if a free version exists. You can learn all the G codes for free though and type your own programs.

M30 this post lol.

15. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I used FeatureCam for years but always heard that SolidWorks is the standard.

16. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Do you know where to get free student version?

17. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    I use Draftsight (free) and find it to be about 99% similar to AutoCAD (that I use at work). only 2D tho. I cant imagine a use for 3D unless your running a CNC machine at home...

18. magic smoke

magic smoke TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

May 28, 2017
    Quantum Entanglement
    I start with hand drawings, scan and import to Adobe Illustrator. AI has great vector controls for “massaging” the curves till they’re just right. When it feels right I export as .dxf and do all of the numerically sensitive work in Rhino. When the model is finished, I save it back to AI and laser cut master templates from acrylic.

19. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    I really like the value in Fusion 360.

But alas, my dinosaur computer doesn’t meet the system requirements. I think it was the graphics. I did some 3D work on a new body shape, but things got wonky when I tried to make additional changes.

What has this world come to now that I have to debate between a jointer, planer, and a computer with 512MB GDDR RAM for my next shop tool???

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.