Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cabronita with Bigsby and bridge problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by upstartocaster, Mar 5, 2011.

1. upstartocaster

upstartocaster Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2011
    NC
    I've got a project that I'm rolling around in my head, which is a Cabronita style tele with a tv jones or a filter at the bridge, and a bigsby b5. I'm not keen on recessing the bigsby like G&L, nor do I want to shim the neck. I'm thinking a recessed TOM or something like that. I've never worked with a recessed TOM before, but it seems like it should work. There is a lot of controversy over the right bridge for a bigsby, so I just want to know if it's a good idea.
    I have seen an image of a vibramate bridge with a bigsby, but I'm doing a humbucker at the bridge, so that won't work :(
    Just wondering what everyone else thinks, so I can settle the bigsby debate once and for all!!

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    I have a '72 Tele here with the B5 style Bigsby and a Mustang style bridge. No recessing necessary, no neck angle necessary, and it works great.

Edit: that's not truly a Mustang-style bridge. Not sure exactly what it is.

[​IMG]

3. upstartocaster

Mar 1, 2011
    NC
    but would it work with a filter?

4. KokoTele

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    If the Filtertron will work with a regular hardtail bridge like it does on the Fender model, it'll work with with the Bigsby.

5. upstartocaster

Mar 1, 2011
    NC
    ahh... well that might require some modding of the bridge plate.... I've never seen a slanted filter before... might be cool.
    it looks like an ashtray with the top part removed. (?)

6. KokoTele

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    Oh, you wouldn't be able to use that bridge plate at all. You'd have to mount the pickup to the guitar body with a no-ears mount, as is standard with a solidbody and Filtertrons.

The bridge itself has nothing to do with that plate. There are two studs that mount into the body, and the plate has holes to allow the studs to pass through.

The only function the plate provides here is a way to mount the bridge pickup, and it covers up the unused string-through holes.

7. upstartocaster

Mar 1, 2011
    NC
    Ohh I get you now. Not the plate, just the bridge bit. Sorry I'm a bit of a novice around here :lol:

8. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2005
    SF North Bay
    another option:

there's a lot of guys using a vintage 3 barrel saddle with bisby b5, just cutting slots in the back of the bridge for the strings. I don't think they are having issues or have to shim the neck. Infact, I think NOT having to shim the neck one reason for using the modified vintage bridge instead of the regular 'fender bigsby' bridge. At the most, I think some use the threaded steel saddles, just to make sure the strings stay in place. Roman is the guy to ask.

Anyways, if that works, then all you have to do is use the chopped version of the vintage bridge to make room for the filtertron. I'm been casually looking into this myself and this is what I'm planning to do as of now. Forget the filtertron issue for now and search bigsby and vintage bridges. Then, if you like the idea, buy or make this:
    [​IMG]

9. upstartocaster

Mar 1, 2011
    NC
    Yes, that looks good. I have heard about the vintage bridge with slots.... that may be the way to go.

10. tonecast

tonecast TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2013
    France
    Keep in tone with bigsby bridge mods

11. tonecast

tonecast TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2013
    France

image-962900016.jpg

12. lobstermagnet

lobstermagnet TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Tejas
    I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I've been looking for this bridge or a write-up on how an offset bridge was modded. I'd like to try this, but keep my Callaham brass slant compensated barrels. Almost like that RSD Jazzmaster bridge that Fender won't sell unless it's attached to an artisan guitar. Anyone know where to point me? The member hasn't been active in 4 years

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.