Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Cabronita Wiring with Push/pull 1 knob

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Colaiza1965, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Colaiza1965

Colaiza1965 TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Hello wiring gurus,
    First of all, sorry if this is repetitive. I was wondering if someone could help me. I am building a Warmoth Cabronita with TV Jones Powertron plus in bridge and Powertron in the neck. I am ordering an alder 1 knob and a 3 way toggle switch. I spoke personally with Tom (TVJ) and he suggested that I split the pickups in order to have more tonal possibilities. It didn't occur to me to ask him more as were on the phone a while talking about the best wood for the pickups. But I'm thinking push/pull tone pot 500k to split both pickups? Is that correct? I have searched for a wiring diagram and can't seem to find one with 2 tv jones and push/pull pots for splitting. can anyone help me out. I really appreciate it.

2. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    A standard push-pull pot, like this CTS pot from StewMac, will be DPDT. That's enough lugs to split two humbuckers, and StewMac also provides a basic overview. If you're not comfortable figuring out the wiring from there, you might want to see a pro.

3. Spanker

Spanker TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2011
    London
    If you have any soldering skills ,this is a relatively simple mod. Basicly the two wires
    on each pup which are simply connected together and not connected to anything else are connected to the middle lugs of the push pull switch. When the push pull is pulled up the 2 wires connect to ground which leaves only the inner coils of the pups in circuit. This diagram might be helpful.

There is much written on the web on this subject.

If you want to cut to the outer coils the push pull is wired to connect the 2 wires to the hot wire.

You might also want to consider ,as a slightly more complicated alternative, adding 2 push pulls and using the coil swap mod. I understand this works well with TV Jones pups. See 1st diagram 3050417682_11d6e5081d_o.jpg
    If CoilTapDual.jpg .

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.