Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cabinet Building Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telel6s, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    No problems, I just felt that your response was unwarranted and unfair for someone trying to help.

Of course it did not help that just an hour earlier I had a work issue that raised my blood pressure about 50 points. I probably would never have gotten into it without that happening.

2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    Now, THAT'S funny!

Crobbins likes this.
  3. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    And it's done. Thanks again for the suggestions. They gave me the idea of using a piece of metal instead of wood as the adapter between the amp head and cabinet.
    [​IMG]

I found a deck building brace at Home Depot that was a great size so that I wouldn't need to cut the metal down. It's the same gauge (16) as the amp chassis. Measure and drill a couple of holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spray paint with some textured black that I already had. Paint pen for labels.
    [​IMG]

Cut back panel. Install. Done. Less than $10 spent (the metal piece and the paint pen).
    [​IMG]

The holes did not line up perfectly in spite of measuring several times and carefully drilling. My guess is that even though I used a punch to mark the center spot that the drill bit and step bit did not get perfectly centered with a hand drill. If I were to do it again I'd (1) measure from the center hole out to each edge to reduce adding one error on top of the previous and (2) re-measure after each hole was cut. But in the end it works.

The straight speaker plug has already been replaced with a right angle plug. The chassis has a hole for a speaker jack on the bottom and I'll end up putting the jack there once I decide if I want to primarily run a 6V6 or a 6L6/EL34 power tube (6V6 uses 8 ohm jack whereas it's recommended to use the 4 ohm jack with the larger tubes (8 ohm speaker)).

[​IMG]

Axis29 likes this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Looks great!! Love the paint pen idea!!

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Edited
    Well the solution looks nice.
    Still interested in the Antigua pickguard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.