Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cabinet Building Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telel6s, Aug 2, 2018.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    A couple of months back I got some nice responses for getting a low-powered tube amp to fit into a homemade 5E3 Tweed Deluxe cabinet. (http://www.tdpri.com/threads/tweed-type-top-control-hanging-amps-inexpensive-options.824731/). I ended up with a VHT Special 6 which I am liking.
    [​IMG]

But now that I have time to move it from the head box into my 5E3 cab I am running into a problem that I'm hoping some of you all might have some ideas for how to resolve.

The Special 6 chassis is not as long as a 5E3 chassis. My idea was to use some plywood to attach to the underside of the top of the cabinet (attached with glue and wood screws from the inside) then drill holes in the plywood to hang the Special 6 chassis (there is also a back panel which would screw into the back of the Special 6 chassis).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

But, of course nothing works quite as you would expect. The nuts on the Special 6 chassis line up exactly with the corners of the original cutout for the 5E3. So I can't access the screws for the Special 6 chassis to attach it and there is no place to drill two new holes into the cabinet.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Does anybody have some ideas on how to make this work?

I don't mind drilling two new holes into the cabinet but cutting or reshaping the control panel cutout is not an option since I would not be able to refinish it with a good match (the cab was sprayed with Reranch Gibson acoustic sunburst then clear coated with rub-on poly).

Thanks in advance.

{PS: I was thinking of posting this in the Tele Home Depot or Shock Brother's DIY Amps sub-forums but figured I would try here first.)

savofenno likes this.
  2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Can you attach the plywood to the chassis? Maybe with flathead screws? Then, attach the whole shebang to the cabinet.

3. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the idea.
    I had thought about that but then I would not be able to remove the amp once it was in there. That piece of plywood was going to be screwed & glued onto the underside of the cab top. Not permanent if ten years down the road I happen upon a 5E3 to put in there, but not something that can be taken on & off just to check a wiring connection or do any mods (lots & lots of mods available for the Special 6).

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Use some sheet metal to extend the chassis? Paint it black.

jondanger likes this.
  5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Rout the cabinet opening out so it's wider and refinish it. It seems like anything you attach to the existing control plate is going to have some funky hardware showing.

SacDAve likes this.
  6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    This is what I would do. Bend some L brackets out of zinc sheet, use pop rivets to attach it them to the chassis, paint them black. Then you don’t have to refinish the cab. There will be a seam, but probably not super noticeable.

7. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I understand why you would say this but as I mentioned above this is not an option I will take. I would need to purchase two spray cans from ReRanch, sand down a large area of the poly top coat, hope that I can even get close to a smooth match on the respray, then again apply the poly finish. That might not sound like a big deal for someone who is skilled in wood finishes but for me it's a recipe for disaster and a crappy looking cabinet. Plus, what happens if in the future I end up with another 5E3 chassis (not out of the question, just not in the budge at the moment).

I'd prefer some funky, but removable, hardware showing.

But I appreciate your thoughts; it's just not he path I'm going to take.

8. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Oooh, now this sounds worth pursuing. I had only been thinking of using wood but metal brackets might be a better option even if I didn't run into the my problem. Thanks! I'll get to Home Depot this week and see what I can find.

9. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    You might find some suitable brackets in the pro audio section. Look for a rack mount kit.
    Not this exactly but something similar.
    71OHX3CG03L._SL1500_.jpg

jondanger and telel6s like this.
  10. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    Hey, OK, now this is too easy. First, get over the compulsion to use your homemade box. It fits a Tweed Deluxe ... look for a tweed Deluxe or kit to build one. Make a different box for your little VHT if you need to (I'd just use a head with a extension cab, but, whatever).
    Your problem isn't that the amp doesn't fit the box, it's that you'd rather shoe-horn it in NOW and satisfy your whim than take the time to do this right and separate the two projects so the result is professional looking and has intrinsic value and aesthetic quality.
    I get that you bought the amp just to put in this box, but it doesn't fit ... it will always look lame and you'd be better off leaving the VHT alone and address the Deluxe cab. If you need a Deluxe and really really like that cab, just make it a serious project to get the right amp for the cab.

11. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    You can buy a whole Amp for less than a new cabinet would cost.

12. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I appreciate all feedback here but you are so wrong on all points.
    • I did look for a 5E3 chassis -- too expensive and I don't have the tech skills to build one. Even kits run four times as much as I paid for the Special 6.
    • It's not a whim; that cabinet has sat without an amp for about ten years. I have used it a couple of times as an extension for a Princeton and a Super Reverb but it's been a long time since I've had a need for that type of speaker coverage.
    • I want a combo vs. head/cab so I can go to a gig, open mic or jam session with amp in one hand and guitar in the other. Keeping the Special 6 as a head defeats that purpose.
    • I like my homemade cabinet. It sound great and, in my opinion, looks pretty darn cool. The same way that folks build up homemade Teles and want to use them I want to use this cabinet.
    • I already have a 15" cabinet so why should I build another one? That seems like a waste of time and money.
    • How can you say the VHT head in my 15" cabinet will look lame when neither you or I have seen it there yet?
    • The cabinet already has a ton of intrinsic value and aesthetic quality -- that's part of why I want to use it.
    • I'm not trying to "shoe-horn it in NOW". That's why I stopped and asked here for suggestions on how to do it without screwing it up.
    If none of the above applies to you and how you use, build &/or acquire equipment that's cool. But in this case your way is nowhere close to my way. No better, no worse; just different.

corliss1 likes this.
  13. strat a various

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    I already know you have decided to make the wrong sized amp fit into the wrong cabinet ... what I haven't figured is how doing it right ... building or acquiring an amp that fits your cab or a cab that fits your amp, is such a daunting prospect. Yes, you can squeeze a 350 into an old Mercedes, my buddy has one. But why? Because a Mercedes engine is too expensive? I'd rather drive the old pickup the 350 came out of.

14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    My two cents:

The bracket idea has promise but you would need to get a pair of pieces cut and bent to fit. Lowes and Home Depot have steel and aluminum flat stock, if you could get a piece that fits the width of the chassis that would work. You could bend it if you have a vice by clamping it into your vice and bending and shaping with a hammer. I also saw a guy use a pair of strong 2x4s that he screwed together with the steel in the middle and then he bent it.
    Drill and tap the angled pieces and you can use your standard bolt holes for the 5E3 chassis. You can screw or pop rivet the angles to the VHT chassis.

Or
    you could shape a lexan face plate (it is able to be shaped like plywood) that would fill the space and then cut the center out for the controls on the VHT. Put a bolt through the ends and hang it like the 5E3 chasiss.

there are a bunch of ways to skin a cat. Just pick one that works best with your skill set and tools.

15. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I'll send you my PayPal account so you can wire me the money for everything needed to build or buy a new cabinet, or buy a built 5E3 chassis. Thanks in advance.

Re: wrong size thing in a container that wasn't originally built for it -- sure sucks all those people who routed out their Teles to put in PAFs, mini-hums, P90s and Charlie Christian pickups. What were they thinking?

16. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the additional ideas. I don't think I'll get to HD or other hardware store until the weekend to see what's available.

17. strat a various

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    You're defensive. I don't care what you do. You can get a full size camper shell and rig up a 2x4 frame to fit it on a Hi-lux. That would be kewl. It's just an opinion. Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes it's worth talking someone down from taking a band saw to their Tele like Mike Bloomfield did. I'm sure someone tried and lost that battle. No skin off my nose.

SacDAve likes this.
  18. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Really?
    you get on a public forum and ask for solutions to a problem and then get all worked up because someone shared an opinion you don't agree with. Let it go. Move on and do what you want to do. You did not even need to respond to Stat a Various's post if it was not usable to you.

And for Strat, thanks for your suggestion. Just walk away. Some people need to fend for themselves.

SacDAve likes this.
  19. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    You are right. For whatever reason I took things a bit too seriously and for that I apologize to @strat a various.

That said, if he's allowed to share his opinion (which of course he is), then I am also allowed to share my opinion as to why I disagree. Two way street.

At least Strat was talking about the subject at hand. You however have decided to jump on me in this post without any input regarding the amp cabinet (please note I did thank you for your earlier post regarding the brackets).

To everyone else at TDPRI, I am sorry a question about an amp cabinet got out of hand. I've been a fifteen year TDPRI member in large part because it usually stays above this kind of stuff. I am sorry for my part in it and I'll go back to just talking gear and music.

As mentioned above, I won't have to time to get back to working on the cabinet until at least this weekend. I'll post updates or more questions as needed when I get to that point.

20. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    You could build a new cab.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.