Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Byrds music sounds fresh to me, for some reason.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Iconocaster, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Iconocaster

Iconocaster TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Central PA
    Of course I've heard the handful of songs that are commonly played but I've never owned any Byrds albums. Recently, I'm listening to XM radio and the station (underground garage, I think) sometimes plays some Byrds tunes I haven't heard - and they sound great to me, ahead of their time really. So what are the best Byrds albums to buy? I ask because I don't buy digital singles, rarely buy compilations - because I worry about missing out on some gems.

I got to thinking about this stuff lately because of the Moody Blue's induction to the rock & roll hall of fame. They're an example of a band I liked, but sound much too dated for me to even listen to now. The Rascals, on the other hand are an old band that always sounded too pop for my tastes, until I recently noticed just how soulful, and occasionally raw, they sound. So I'm buying Rascals vinyl when I see it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Chicago Matt and nojazzhere like this.

2. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    The byrds went thru a few line up changes that makes their albums all worth checking out.

3. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I have come to realize that there is a good reason that the Byrds and Buffalo Springfield are revered bands. They were pretty excellent. The Gene Clark solo stuff is amazing as well.

Johnson johnson and BoogerRooger like this.

4. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    pennsylvania
    I love the Byrds. My favorite Byrds era is the David Crosby era. And my fave Crosby era records are "Fifth Dimension", "Younger Than Yesterday" & "The Notorious Byrd Brothers"
    I don't mean to slight Gene Clark, whom I love (he left after the 1st 2 albums), but I think their creativity reached it's wonderful peak during the three albums above.
    IMO after David left, they were a different band. Still excellent at times, but different.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    There was the jangle folk-rock Byrds, the very interesting period between folk-rock and hairy, and then the hairy Byrds.

I like them all with a special nod toward the hairy, aka the Clarence White Byrds.

Iconoclaster what tunes did you hear you liked ?

Matt G, DougM and sonicsmitty like this.

6. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Sweetheart of the Rodeo is a must have album in my book.

Minimalist518, BopT, Deeve and 8 others like this.

7. Iconocaster

Iconocaster TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Central PA
    Chimes of freedom sounded familiar but I couldn't swear that I had heard it before then. That was a good one. I wasn't born to follow - I know I've heard it a couple of times but didn't associate it with the Byrds. An excellent tune for sure.

DougM likes this.

8. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2010
    North east coast
    'Bells of Rhymney' and 'If I Needed You' are cool.

9. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    The Byrds are indeed wonderful in all their incarnations and spinoffs (Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons, Chris Hillman's many projects such as Desert Rose...) I like the original group best, but love all of it. As for the Young Rascals, they are phenomenal but also a strange hybrid of early rock, urban street-corner singing, crooning, jazz, and flat out pop. When they first broke out, they would often wear these Little Lord Fauntleroy outfits that predate Angus in AC/DC, and we a sort of weird pre-pre-punk. Their earliest full albums are incredible -- Motown covers, ballads, "Come on Up."

DougM, nojazzhere and smartsoul72 like this.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I think I look at the Byrds as several different bands, due to the various incarnations....my favorite though is their early, jingle-jangle morning version.

11. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    I love pretty much all the iterations of the Bryds, my main attraction to them was Roger McGuinn playing 12 string Ricky with fingerpicks like a banjo.....so unique, so cool!

DougM, nojazzhere and smartsoul72 like this.

12. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    2 words: 12-string guitars. 12-strings freshen up everything.

jhundt, Fearnot and DougM like this.

13. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    +1 the David Crosby era and those 3 albums from 1966-68. He added something that they needed IMO - including that amazing voice.

McGuinn is still out there working the franchise. Here he is doing My Back Pages - a Dylan song they first covered on the album Younger Than Yesterday (1967). The backup band isn't too shabby.

14. Iconocaster

Iconocaster TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Central PA
    That should be a good one. I'll watch it when I get the chance. I saw the one with Marty and Roger doing "You ain't going nowhere" and that was great. I know that that song as I have that Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's double album. Also a great version.

Random1643 likes this.

15. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    "So you wanna be a rock n roll star......" ha ha, ya, I love those guys. I was just singing CTA102 about 1/2 hour ago.

Rascals..... yes......

throw in my pals the Lovin' Spoonful. John Sebastian was a big influence.... great songs, and Zal's guitar work at the time (for me) rivaled George Harrisons

16. Modernelove

Modernelove TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2016
    New Jersey
    If you want to check out a cool album by them check out Live at the Filmore February 1969. It's a great guitar album. Roger McGuin is doing a lot of the 12 string raga solo stuff and Clarence White is completely ripping it up on the B Bender. It's also a good combination of their 60's pop stuff and the country rock stuff and shows they were a great live band.

17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Was just watching The Wrecking Crew DVD. Someone there claims that it was the Wrecking Crew, not the Byrds on the early recordings. At least up until Tambourine Man.
    I wish there would have been more detail.

DonM likes this.

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I don't like the Byrds. At all. Every time I think about them I want a Ric. Dang it.

(I really do like them)

19. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Byrds...very cool sound...Loved the Rascals, they had a great sound, saw them live at the RKO back in 67, at Murray the K's World here on LI, and lastly at Jones Beach just a few years back! There's one album I keep on my top ten list, it's the first Blood, Sweat, & Tears Album called "Child is Father to the Man", the only one with Al Kooper (Al played the B3 on Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone) just ignore the Overture Track with the laughing, Other than that great Blues,and a whole mixture of genres in there as well.

Stubee and nojazzhere like this.

20. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Great cut, Marty is awesome.

tomkatf, DougM, lewis and 1 other person like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.