Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

BYOGuitar kit Question: neck wiggle.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TelZilla, Jan 12, 2018 at 5:34 PM.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    5734CD61-A3E0-4428-AB88-1C195B2F2CA7.jpeg Today i received a les paul jr kit from byog guitar. See attached photo

Seems pretty nice- neck in particular. I do have one question though- I dryfit the neck and it wiggles back and forth a tiny bit. Not sure how well this shows it:

How much wiggle is too much? Im just not sure.
    Thoughts?

2. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Almost all those inexpensive kits do that. Not a big deal.

You just need to buy/fabricate some thin shims to take up the slop.

The devil is in the details. Mock it up with clamps & make sure your neck alignment/angle is good with your bridge sighting down the center of you neck. If that's not right there's no use proceeding if you want something playable.

Keep track of what shim went where when you disassemble.

Those are the steps I used starting a RAS kit last month. It had that much play.

On the other hand the PGK kit I'm doing is incredible. Zero slop & 10 times the price.

You get what you pay for.

xafinity likes this.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Looks like a piece of veneer should take care of it. A mortise and tenon should be tighter than that.

bender66 likes this.

4. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Where do i get shims that small? I dont even think i could fit a buisness card in there. Or do you mean the shims go at the bottom end (closer to the bridge than the nut)?

So the eye test is the way to measure if the necks straight?

5. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA

6. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    BYOG is $500? I gotta admit I've never looked at them. I thought they were a LOT cheaper than that.

...anywhooo, this was a $65 RAS kit with neck slop.
    [​IMG]
    As mentioned above get some thin veneers & sand them at one edge (my friend does it on a belt sander but isn't necessary) so it's "sharpened" that way you get a varying degree of thickness. You want to estimate where your neck should rest side to side & neck angle.

You might find you also need a shim in the neck pocket to get your angle better. I found the neck center by measuring, then clamped a thin rod down that center along the frets mimicking strings. Your center line should land in the middle of your bridge if your pocket is square & also have a good (string) height to your bridge saddles.

Your bridge holes are drilled, so that's good. Mock up (install your anchors & ground wire if you want) your bridge first & clamp your neck in just to see where everything falls. From there you can assess whether you need the shim situation at all.

I hope this makes sense. I see people blindly gluing up necks & wonder why their strings don't line up over the pickups, or they have too much bridge height/decked. This is the hard stuff. The finishing can be tricky, but not as hard as sorting this out.

I'm sure there's gotta be tutorials on youtube. Others might have a better way than mine even.

Here's my PGK body I was lucky to get from ebay auction. I would never have been able to afford this custom build from PGK.

1 coat shellac.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PGK discontinued making the SG Jr shape as we know it. It's some bastard looking ESP thing now. This is the original contoured/beveled shape. woo hoo!

7. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA

Looks nice.

Thanks for the tips. It sounds like something i could do, but I was hoping for a better fit.

Im thinking about returning it to see if another body might fit better (not holding my breath, though).

Or maybe getting a kit from a diff company. Just not sure others would be better.

Thoughts?

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    you guys should have the privilege of disassembling a Gibby or similar... such "wiggle room" is normal... it allows the neck to be adjusted into correct alignment before the glue hardens. Making corrections after it hardens is, shall we say, a bit problematical..

Or didja just think that everything is perfect, and ya just stick the neck in the hole .. let the glue dry and then assembly your way to precision utopia? :lol:

rk

Lake Placid Blue and oldfish like this.

9. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    I had no idea. That's why I posted. We're not all professional luthiers. I'm sure you built a first guitar once too. I thought discussion board were for discussion. :rolleyes:

So are you saying most set neck guitars require shimming OR are you saying that amount of wiggle is fine and you just glue it in and the dirfferences are so small as to be unimportant.

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    That SG body looks great. Is that Black Limba?
    Rex

11. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    yes.. when I do one, and when many of my contemporaries do it, they "dry fit" the relevant hardware, such as bridge and stop, nut ... then string it up with string not STRINGS... that way we KNOW everything will be kosher when the glue hardens, it's painted and ready for assembly...

Contrary to popular belief... a piece of precision machined lumber can and does "creep" after the machining is completed... if you're betting on the precision remaining in tact between time it's machined and when it's assembled, you're in for an unpleasant surprise...

The only thing definitive in building a guitar is there is nothing definitive... and that you can depend on..

rk

Lake Placid Blue and bender66 like this.

12. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Thanks. So if its not perfect, what’s the procedure for adjustment. I read elsewhere about using veneers for shims.

13. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I shim to the extent the friction and chock blocks will hold it in place until the glue cures...

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

14. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Yes. It's dry fitted & clamped as I write. I had to make some scrap pieces & was checking to make sure they fit at the clamping surfaces properly. I won it & almost everything I need to assemble minus electronics for $230. Even came with a custom wound pickup.Think i'll glue that up today.

telZilla- Ron hits every point regarding building. It's not precise. Don't overthink it & don't be afraid. It's wood. You will fail at things. It's how I/we learn.

That being said, knowing what you paid & your apprehension, I'd prob return it & go with that PGK DC you linked. Having handled a variety of kits they're head & shoulders above what's out there, Carvin excluded possibly. The SG above is as exact as it can get. No wiggle, angles are spot on. Plenty of praise of PGK on other forums & cheaper than what you paid.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:59 PM

15. mrz80

mrz80 Tele-Meister

May 1, 2007
    Gainesville,FL
    That's why you don't drill the bridge holes on a set-neck until *after* the neck is set. :cool:

16. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    so true. . if ya don't necessarily care where the bridge winds up when she's completed... :p

rk

bender66 likes this.

17. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Exactly. Most kits come with the pickups routing already completed. I caught that with the kit image I posted above. The route wasn't exactly where it should have been over the center line. Liberties were taken & I'm happy with the outcome. We'll see when it's completed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.