Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

BYOC Crown Jewel AWESOME!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by rcboals, Jun 6, 2017.

1. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2010
    Springfield, Oregon
    When I find something special I like to share it the BYOC Crown Jewel is special.
    First off I am pretty clean player with Rockabilly, 50's, 60's 70's classic rock. I do not do any Heavy Metal, Punk, or Fuzz stuff. I like to really hear chords and individual notes not a bunch of convoluted distorted tones. I get no heavier than Link Wray :) My take on this pedal is, it is a winner big time. Good on BYOC they should only make three a month and get the price up there like a KOT (King of Tone) since I already got mine :) I ordered it with the Mosfet module for the boost section pretty excited about the other modules and possible future modules for the boost. I got it yesterday played with it for about three hours. I used my Tele with traditional Tele single coils, used my Gibson ES335 with 57 Classics, used my Gretsch G6129T 62 Jet with Filtertrons, and my Hagstrom Viking Tremar Deluxe with Gibson P94's. I used my three amps 1966 Fender Pro Reverb 40 watts Fender Blackface at it's best, 5E7 Sterling Fender 3X10 Bandmaster Clone Tweed Heaven, Mesa Boogie Transatlantic TA 15 5-15+ watts with Fender, Vox, Marshall, Mesa, tones in one very cool little head. I got the tones I was looking for with each guitar and amp combo. The Crown Jewel is a very versatile pedal there are tons of tones in there with the different switching available. I am not a tweaking geek tone freak and too many switches and knobs bother me. I found the Crown Jewel to be easy to figure out and the switches and knobs are intuitive. The Presence and Frequency Knobs are cool and the three way switch for the mid-range parameters is awesome, these open up tons of tonal possibilities. Those features with the standard tone controls are great. This pedal will do anything from clean slight overdrive and anything between to some pretty nasty distorted sounds which I never use. The pre assembled price is very reasonable in my opinion it is a nice size for a pedal board it will definitely replace my BYOC OD2 I have been using as my main OD.

Iago likes this.
  2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    The Crown sounds great! I only use a TS, OCD, Klon (clone) for specific tunes live. Would not be able to fiddle with settings in the middle of my set...... Great sounding pedal though, well done!

3. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2010
    Springfield, Oregon
    Really loving this pedal over two weeks now :) makes my 62RI Tele sound great. Surprisingly easy to figure out and adjust on the fly if needed. First gig on stage with Crown Jewel was 6/9/17. Our gigs are mainly car shows and car cruises, and various festivals. We quit bar gigs four years ago. We usually do three sets for a 2 to 3 hour show. I do not change guitars for our show. I do play different guitars depending how I feel but only one for each show. I do not need a wide variety of tones for our shows but I find the tones in this box a lot of fun to mess with when just noodling or wood shedding. I write down the settings for the knobs and switches it only takes a couple seconds to do. Most of our set songs are a very slight overdrive clean slap back delay for all the Rockabilly tunes from Cochran to Setzer. The next is a a little more overdrive for the four Southern Culture on the Skids tunes like Camel Walk, VooDoo Cadillac, etc. Then a heavier adjustment on drive more slight distortion for our version of Shakin All Over/Rumble ala Link Wray. Sounds like you cover a bunch more styles of music than we will ever do. I like a small pedal board mine consist of only four used to be the BYOC OD2 replaced by the Crown Jewel then a Boss DM3, then a Mr. Black Deluxe Plus (Mr. Black is Spring Reverb/Tremolo, the a mini polytune. pic below.

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.